Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Claustrophobia 1643» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trog attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G M
United States
flag msg tools
mb
General question, which I think I know the answer to, but thought I'd ask. Say I have 3 troglodytes on a tile and 1 human warrior. If I attack the human I just roll 3 dice (i for each trog) and assign all damage to the human as it comes up.
However, if there were 2 human warriors on that tile, could I choose to have 1 trog attack 1 and 2 trogs attack the other, splitting the attack? I don't see why not...

However when humans attack they attack all trogs on the tile at once...so each human could take a swing at all trogs on the same tile if they want to...

Does that sound right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's exactly correct. Technically you're supposed to activate trogs one by one, however in most scenarios, it won't matter - of course, if a warrior is on his last wound, it would make sense to roll one by one (or if one is a tough trog, as he has built-in frenzy and it's important to keep his roll separate from the others).

Also the scenarios where some trogs haven't moved yet, and what can be done to really bring the pain is have all the trogs already on a tile attack, move forward, and let the newly-spawned trogs move in to pile on.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
flag msg tools
mb
PKamahl wrote:

Also the scenarios where some trogs haven't moved yet, and what can be done to really bring the pain is have all the trogs already on a tile attack, move forward, and let the newly-spawned trogs move in to pile on.
Can you do that? I thought that you have to bring in new trogs during your preparation phase first before you start activating the trogs you have on the board?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
gmik wrote:
Can you do that? I thought that you have to bring in new trogs during your preparation phase first before you start activating the trogs you have on the board?
I wasn't clear enough, sorry - I meant any surviving trogs from the prior turn could get their hits in and move away, to make room for freshly spawned trogs. However, you can do that if you manage a charge in the right configuration - an example being that you resolve Intrepid Charge and there is both a tile ahead for Trogs to move to, and an open tile behind for Trogs to spawn on.

Attack with the trogs that spawned on top of the warrior, move (assuming it's not a Brute with Impressive), move with the ones that spawned farther back, and attack some more!

You're right in that you can't bring in new trogs after the threat phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Yep, makes sense!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
gmik wrote:
General question, which I think I know the answer to, but thought I'd ask. Say I have 3 troglodytes on a tile and 1 human warrior. If I attack the human I just roll 3 dice (i for each trog) and assign all damage to the human as it comes up.
However, if there were 2 human warriors on that tile, could I choose to have 1 trog attack 1 and 2 trogs attack the other, splitting the attack? I don't see why not...

However when humans attack they attack all trogs on the tile at once...so each human could take a swing at all trogs on the same tile if they want to...

Does that sound right?
As long all Trogs attack the same warrior you can just roll all dices at once. However as soon you intend to have more than ONE target, you must make clear who attacks who before you roll. You can't roll all dices and then strat to hand out injuries.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So, are Tough Trogs also Trogs?

Like, will Human attacks roll onto tough trogs like they do with trogs? Do the buffs you get from cards / board of destiny /tiles that affect trogs also affect tough trogs?

I have been playing that tough trogs are a distinct entity that have no rules shared with regular trogs.

I think that's the case, but it seems confusing for no reason -- why are there "tough trogs" instead of just like, a different tough demon so that that wouldn't be confusing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vellian wrote:
So, are Tough Trogs also Trogs?

Like, will Human attacks roll onto tough trogs like they do with trogs? Do the buffs you get from cards / board of destiny /tiles that affect trogs also affect tough trogs?

I have been playing that tough trogs are a distinct entity that have no rules shared with regular trogs.

I think that's the case, but it seems confusing for no reason -- why are there "tough trogs" instead of just like, a different tough demon so that that wouldn't be confusing?
I believe tough trogs suffer from any rules / buffs that impact regular trogs, and the only time they're treated separately is for the sake of combat (as in, if you're attacking troglodytes, excess hits won't cascade to the tough trog, or vice-versa - it's a separate entity like a hellhound). They can be buffed by Suicide Attack or the one that gives all trogs elusive, in addition to +1 movement from the destiny board, in addition to any scenario rules that apply to them (like not being able to enter the Pentacle tile in Scenario 4).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, there's not a lot in the rulebook regarding them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PKamahl wrote:


I believe tough trogs suffer from any rules / buffs that impact regular trogs, and the only time they're treated separately is for the sake of combat (as in, if you're attacking troglodytes, excess hits won't cascade to the tough trog, or vice-versa - it's a separate entity like a hellhound). They can be buffed by Suicide Attack or the one that gives all trogs elusive, in addition to +1 movement from the destiny board, in addition to any scenario rules that apply to them (like not being able to enter the Pentacle tile in Scenario 4).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, there's not a lot in the rulebook regarding them.
Oh wow, yeah, if anybody else has an official answer to share, I'd really appreciate it. Because this MAKES SENSE to me, since they are also "trogs," but since they behave as individual entities in combat, I assumed the same would go for buffs / rules / etc.

I guess they only show up rather rarely from event cards anyway, so it's not exactly game breaking either way, but it'd be good to know!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sponge Yo
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
PKamahl wrote:
Vellian wrote:
So, are Tough Trogs also Trogs?

Like, will Human attacks roll onto tough trogs like they do with trogs? Do the buffs you get from cards / board of destiny /tiles that affect trogs also affect tough trogs?

I have been playing that tough trogs are a distinct entity that have no rules shared with regular trogs.

I think that's the case, but it seems confusing for no reason -- why are there "tough trogs" instead of just like, a different tough demon so that that wouldn't be confusing?
I believe tough trogs suffer from any rules / buffs that impact regular trogs, and the only time they're treated separately is for the sake of combat (as in, if you're attacking troglodytes, excess hits won't cascade to the tough trog, or vice-versa - it's a separate entity like a hellhound). They can be buffed by Suicide Attack or the one that gives all trogs elusive, in addition to +1 movement from the destiny board, in addition to any scenario rules that apply to them (like not being able to enter the Pentacle tile in Scenario 4).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, there's not a lot in the rulebook regarding them.
You're right. They are troglodytes, so they are affected by everything that can affect Trogs.
The thing is in combat, you should treat each warrior separately. But as Trogs (normal ones) are exactly the same, they can (but you don't have to) be treated as one entity. Tough Trogs, on the other hand, are not the same as regular Trogs, so in combat, they must be treated separately.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudokon wrote:


You're right. They are troglodytes, so they are affected by everything that can affect Trogs.
The thing is in combat, you should treat each warrior separately. But as Trogs (normal ones) are exactly the same, they can (but you don't have to) be treated as one entity. Tough Trogs, on the other hand, are not the same as regular Trogs, so in combat, they must be treated separately.

Ahhh so the only reason you can "roll over" hits onto other trogs is because they're all exactly the same, so it's just a time-saver built into the rules, not like, a bonus for the humans. That makes total sense. Thank you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mudokon wrote:
PKamahl wrote:
Vellian wrote:
So, are Tough Trogs also Trogs?

Like, will Human attacks roll onto tough trogs like they do with trogs? Do the buffs you get from cards / board of destiny /tiles that affect trogs also affect tough trogs?

I have been playing that tough trogs are a distinct entity that have no rules shared with regular trogs.

I think that's the case, but it seems confusing for no reason -- why are there "tough trogs" instead of just like, a different tough demon so that that wouldn't be confusing?
I believe tough trogs suffer from any rules / buffs that impact regular trogs, and the only time they're treated separately is for the sake of combat (as in, if you're attacking troglodytes, excess hits won't cascade to the tough trog, or vice-versa - it's a separate entity like a hellhound). They can be buffed by Suicide Attack or the one that gives all trogs elusive, in addition to +1 movement from the destiny board, in addition to any scenario rules that apply to them (like not being able to enter the Pentacle tile in Scenario 4).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, there's not a lot in the rulebook regarding them.
You're right. They are troglodytes, so they are affected by everything that can affect Trogs.
The thing is in combat, you should treat each warrior separately. But as Trogs (normal ones) are exactly the same, they can (but you don't have to) be treated as one entity. Tough Trogs, on the other hand, are not the same as regular Trogs, so in combat, they must be treated separately.
Hmm I disagree. When the trogs attack you can simplify by lumping them together, same result for a single target. When the humans attack however it is different rule that you can attack all of them - IMO you cannot attack two hellhounds and have the damage carry over, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
Hmm I disagree. When the trogs attack you can simplify by lumping them together, same result for a single target. When the humans attack however it is different rule that you can attack all of them - IMO you cannot attack two hellhounds and have the damage carry over, right?
I don't think you actually do disagree

Everyone is correct. Trogs can be attacked in groups because they have 1 HP, so you don't really need to assign damage individually as any hit will kill them, and it doesn't make a difference which one you kill ("I rolled 2 hits against the Trogs" *grabs any 2 random Trogs on that tile*). Hell Hounds however have HP, so in that sense their stats can be different (current damage) and so cannot be attacked in a group or damage rolled over. The same is true of a Tough Trog, but it is still a Trog.

And just for good measure, here's the rule book;

Page 21, Combat, Paragraph marked 1 wrote:
They must choose which of the enemies on the same tile they are going to target. A target can be a human warrior, a demon, a hellhound, a special troglodyte or all of the troglodytes present on the same tile.
Edit: On that note, and in relation to the original question, all warriors attack separately, however there's absolutely nothing to stop you (apart form it being a terrible idea )from saying "my 3 Trogs and Demon with a combat of 3 are attacking this warrior" and then rolling 6 dice, because the defense value is the same for every roll, and no damage rolls over.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
flag msg tools
mb
It makes sense to me that tough trogs are treated as trogs (getting buffs, etc), but are dealt with separately in combat...there is a slight advantage to the infernal warrior in this case because say there is 1 human warrior on a tile and 2 trogs and 1 tough trog...the human only gets 1 roll of the die, so he would have to choose whether he is attacking the regular trogs or the tough trogs and wouldn't have any way of potentially killing all 3 with the same roll....but I think that still makes sense...they are a different entity...so this leads back to - whats the official ruling on if tough trogs get the buffs from demon board or event cards that affect trogs. I think they do. I saw in another thread that they did in the old version of the game as well...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gmik wrote:
It makes sense to me that tough trogs are treated as trogs (getting buffs, etc), but are dealt with separately in combat...there is a slight advantage to the infernal warrior in this case because say there is 1 human warrior on a tile and 2 trogs and 1 tough trog...the human only gets 1 roll of the die, so he would have to choose whether he is attacking the regular trogs or the tough trogs and wouldn't have any way of potentially killing all 3 with the same roll....but I think that still makes sense...they are a different entity...so this leads back to - whats the official ruling on if tough trogs get the buffs from demon board or event cards that affect trogs. I think they do. I saw in another thread that they did in the old version of the game as well...
Sponge Yo above answered this in the affirmative and he is from Monolith.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G M
United States
flag msg tools
mb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
gmik wrote:
It makes sense to me that tough trogs are treated as trogs (getting buffs, etc), but are dealt with separately in combat...there is a slight advantage to the infernal warrior in this case because say there is 1 human warrior on a tile and 2 trogs and 1 tough trog...the human only gets 1 roll of the die, so he would have to choose whether he is attacking the regular trogs or the tough trogs and wouldn't have any way of potentially killing all 3 with the same roll....but I think that still makes sense...they are a different entity...so this leads back to - whats the official ruling on if tough trogs get the buffs from demon board or event cards that affect trogs. I think they do. I saw in another thread that they did in the old version of the game as well...
Sponge Yo above answered this in the affirmative and he is from Monolith.
Thanks, I missed that he was from Monolith! Makes sense too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls