Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karefa Kargbo
United States
McLean
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of grabbing one of these DnD Adventure Series games for my college's gaming club. Of these two games in the series, which one do you think is a stronger experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty 27
Canada
County of Grande Prairie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly feel The Legend of Drizz't has better components. The minis in Tomb are terrible and whisply thin and bendy. The Legend of Drizz't was the last game done more in control by WotC I think and it shows. Power level of characters are a bit high and that is cool!

However if you are okay with Whispy components I would recommend waiting and taking a hard look at the newest (unrealeased) Mad Mage one as it has perhaps the best leveling system yet (unknown).

Curious what everyone else thinks... I know I got all five now and they take up a ton of space and I rarely play them. Newer games have taken the general formula further. I mostly collect them at this point to get more D&D resources for GM'ing games I have yet to GM. That and I am an absolute sucker and love anything Dungeon Command related (my true first love when it comes to board games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonimon wrote:
I'm thinking of grabbing one of these DnD Adventure Series games for my college's gaming club. Of these two games in the series, which one do you think is a stronger experience?
ToA is built more around a campaign. You choose your heroes, you play through the missions in sequence and the heroes level up as you modify the decks to simulate leveling up and taking on harder monsters for better treasure. It's a great game to have at home.

LoD is more like the original games in this series where the missions are much more stand-alone. Pick a mission, pick your heroes, and play. When done, pack it all up. I believe there's something about the first few missions only using half the cards, but once you've played the game a few times, playing with a full deck isn't going to be a problem. This is a great game to have when the players/heroes will be different from game day to game day. There are also some missions that turn into more of PvP thing so that might appeal to people that aren't playing with their kids.

Short answer is I think for a gaming club you might want LoD.

Other short answer is, why not both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the deluxe edition of ToA, and I quite like playing with the painted minis. For Legend of Drizzt, it felt like the game was based on another IP and that I would have enjoyed the game more if I was already a fan of Drizzt. Also, ToA does a much better job of giving a campaign feel, with characters getting stronger and dungeons getting tougher over time.

The minis are smaller in ToA, so if they weren't painted for me I would probably prefer the ones in Drizzt. Even so, I'd lean toward ToA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for ToA if you and the group want a progression feel with the same characters over a series of adventures.
Also, as said beforem the components in ToA are inferior to LoD, but only if you have more of the series you will seriously have a problem with it. Otherwise it is no issue.
Grab LoD for stand alone fun underdark action vs cool monsters and no progression or history feel to it.

I like and own all 5 of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoD. You'll have more fun.

For fun and variety in game play scenarios including a competitive adventure and a secret villain you'll have a lot more fun with LoD. They use cavern themed tiles not dungeon themed but there's more variety. But where the adventures can have variety it lacks in the Heroes all being martial (fighting) characters from the books. So no wizard or cleric is the only downside I see. It has an advanced card deck to add a level of progression. Note not all of the punch board components will be used in the adventures. It says that in the rulebook.

For ToA it would be a good idea to pre-sort the cards for the campaign progression following each adventure. There are FAQ's on BGG here that address why about 7 of those cards don't make sense the way they're labelled or errata in the adventure book as to which cards are replaced and added. The ToA adventure book, rulebook and FAQ were uploaded here in the Files section by WizKids. ToA isn't as fun, exciting or interactive overall with other players imho as LoD. It's interesting over the course of a campaign.

If your gaming group wants to invest time every week to get thru a campaign then ToA. If they play other games in addition to the D&D board games then LoD will be more fun and esthetic and the component materials are far superior to ToA.

There's gameplay videos on YouTube and in the BGG video Sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
For ToA it would be a good idea to pre-sort the cards for the campaign progression following each adventure. There are FAQ's on BGG here that address why about 7 of those cards don't make sense the way they're labelled or errata in the adventure book as to which cards are replaced and added. The ToA adventure book, rulebook and FAQ were uploaded here in the Files section by WizKids. ToA isn't as fun, exciting or interactive overall with other players imho as LoD. It's interesting over the course of a campaign.
For people like me, here's the link to the FAQ document:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/155953/tomb-annihilation-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoD and ToA are my only games of the series. A great 2 games to own in my opinion. Enough contrast between the two to recommend having them both.

But as a stated above. Holding out for Mad Mage instead of ToA is excellent advice, except if ToA availability may be an issue. Anyhow, grab LoD and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls