13 Posts

Fireball Island: The Curse of Vul-Kar» Forums » General

Subject: Knocking yourself off the board as a tactic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Bradley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ok, so I wanted to get some input on this as it seems like a really big cheat but based on the rules, it seems applicable.

The rules state if you're knocked off the board you can start at any cave. So...what's to stop me from knocking myself off the board and teleporting myself around the board?

I asked as someone did this during the end game, moved themselves to cave 2 right near the helipad and easily got aboard the hello-copter...he was behind Vul-Kar before. So what's the ruling on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobwobbaz wrote:
Ok, so I wanted to get some input on this as it seems like a really big cheat but based on the rules, it seems applicable.

The rules state if you're knocked off the board you can start at any cave. So...what's to stop me from knocking myself off the board and teleporting myself around the board?

I asked as someone did this during the end game, moved themselves to cave 2 right near the helipad and easily got aboard the hello-copter...he was behind Vul-Kar before. So what's the ruling on this?
I think the rules are pretty clear. There's no reason why you couldn't do that.

There are two downsides to this tactic. First, it costs you a treasure when you knock yourself over. Second, it's by no means guaranteed that you'll actually go off the board. What if you miss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you start your turn on a cave your roll the cave die, so it might not help you as much as you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
Also if you start your turn on a cave your roll the cave die, so it might not help you as much as you think.
I believe the rules specifically prevent that roll in this instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct no roll in this instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just as easily knock yourself over but not off the board (-1 treasure), or knock the ember marble off the board instead of yourself (-1 treasure). Leaving you right where you were but minus a treasure. Risky but if I was playing AGAINST you, I would say “go for it”, at least you wouldn’t be aiming for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad idea, but there are a few factors that restrict how much you can abuse it:

1) The figures tend to not fly very far, even when hit with significant force.

2) Because of this, there are very few places on the board where you can potentially knock yourself off of the board - and most of those are a long way from Vul-Kar or any Ember marbles (and good luck knocking yourself that far with a Snake or boulder!).

Between those two factors, I would say that it's doable, but nowhere near easy or abusable. Now, knocking yourself into the river after grabbing the Heart of Vul-Kar for an easy run off the board next turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it when I hop into a post and find our fans already on the case. Well done! Carry on, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I think, in certain circumstances, you'd have a good shot at intentionally accomplishing this with the boulder.

Pulling this off with anything else seems very unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Mote
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it when the game designer follows every forum and participates. My first Restoration title was Stop Thief solely out of nostalgia. I didn't know Fireball Island existed until I got on BGG but from all my experience seeing his responses in forums there I knew Justin and Restoration would make it a must have.

Not every title Restoration will publish is going to be in my wheel-house thematically or mechanically, but anything that is I'm going to be all over in large part to Justin showing commitment to us, the players.

JustinDJacobson wrote:
I love it when I hop into a post and find our fans already on the case. Well done! Carry on, everyone!
(1 edit - clarifying)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CharlieMote wrote:
I love it when the game designer follows every forum and participates. My first Restoration title was Stop Thief solely out of nostalgia. I didn't know Fireball Island existed until I got on BGG but from all my experience seeing his responses in forums there I knew Justin and Restoration would make it a must have.

Not every title Restoration will publish is going to be in my wheel-house thematically or mechanically, but anything that is I'm going to be all over in large part to Justin showing commitment to us, the players.

JustinDJacobson wrote:
(1 edit - clarifying)
**fist bump**
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Bradley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just to clarify a couple of things.

The instance where my figure went of the board was by accident, my figure was on the path right on the edge of the board, just down and off the helipad on the dock run and viper pass side of the island. I was just past the palm tree there, I sent a cataclysm going because I thought the tree root was protecting me. It didn't it acted like a ramp for a fireball and sent me flying off the board. I tactically picked the cave 2. It was a fluke, and in the end it still didn't help me win, but it helped me get back to the helipad in time.

Next game however, my Dad knowing he could do this got his last snapshot at Vul Kar Point, headed down the path past the ladder at back of Vul Kar and used the ember marble right there to blast himself off the side. That fireball is so close to the edge anyway that he was never really going to miss. He again chose cave 2 and got to the helipad first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobwobbaz wrote:
...Next game however, my Dad knowing he could do this got his last snapshot at Vul Kar Point, headed down the path past the ladder at back of Vul Kar and used the ember marble right there to blast himself off the side. That fireball is so close to the edge anyway that he was never really going to miss. He again chose cave 2 and got to the helipad first.
This does feel gamey to me. It makes me consider doing a random roll to determine the cave entrance to return to. Thematically, it's as though you find some hidden cave entrance at the water line while you're down there swimming for your life. You swim into the cave and find your way up through the tunnels. You're not sure where you're going to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls