Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Meyer
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So me and 5 of my friends have been playing Eclipse a lot lately (4-6 player games).

We decided to play a 1:1 tournament, starting with a round robin phase to give everyone a seeded ranking (only playing humans and rise of ancients and ship pack one expansions). After we are all ranked, in ranking order we will pick races and then play a single elimination tournament.

I want to get some opinions on which races should be eliminated from a 1:1 game because they are too strong. We are eliminating Draco and Planta per manual......but what about the rest? Anything in particular that is too strong in a 1:1 matchup? I would like to expand the faction selection to include all the expansions but again not sure which ones should be eliminated.

Any thoughts/feelings/guidance is much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Molander
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So just to clarify, what I'm understanding is that for the initial ranking, it will just be Terrans, RotA races, and Ship Pack One (which iirc is just Terrans and Magellan), but for the actual tournament it will be all races minus whichever ones are banned, and we're discussing which ones to ban here. Is that correct?

For sure follow the recommendations that Planta and Draco be banned. I have tried them both in 1v1 and they're ridiculous. I would also recommend banning Eridani and Orion. Starting with a big boost like theirs can be overwhelming and just steamroll the early game in 1v1. Rho Indi might also be too good since they're highly rewarded for being very aggressive and their drawback is supposed to be that they're not great at holding/defending a position. But when there's no player 3, 4, 5, or 6 to stab them in the back, I would not be surprised to see them get out of hand.

I would say have a discussion after the round robin and see if there are things that the group feels the need to ban. Also for sure post session reports, I would love to hear how this whole tournament plays out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Meyer
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The structure is as follows.

A round robin tournament with only humans but using pieces parts and rules from Rise of the Ancients and Ship Pack 1.

The 6 players are ranked after the round robin part, based on win/loss record (tie breakers settled by head to head, then total points scored).

In ranked order (1-6) races are chosen (TBD legal races).

The ranked empires compete in a single elimination/playoff to declare a final galactic emperor. For this tournament, the rank 1 and rank 2 players get a bye in the first round. Rank 3 plays rank 6, rank 4 plays rank 5. The lower ranked player always gets first player (tried to even things out a bit since the higher ranked player gets to choose race first and have advantages of getting a bye. Here are the results so far. We are playing on Vassal (we have one copy of the entire game including all expansions), but its too hard to make it work without using Vassal.

Wins Losses Points Points ON
Clint 2 1 119 95
Austin 0 3 106 94
Krit 2 1 126 56
Jeff 1 1 71 56
Ian 0 1 37 49
Don 3 1 165 164

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Molander
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ahhhh that makes more sense. Have people just show their raw skill in the game using all the same sort of vanilla faction, then have the real tournament. I like that a lot. I was gonna ask how many copies of the game you have to make this work, but Vassal sounds cool. I've played a little bit of Star Wars Rebellion on there and it's nice. I have not tried Eclipse on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Meyer
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The big thing about 1:1 is how few techs come out between rounds. I keep going round and round in my head about race power ranking in 1:1. Its an interesting problem and very different than a 6 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Molander
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clintmeyer wrote:
The big thing about 1:1 is how few techs come out between rounds. I keep going round and round in my head about race power ranking in 1:1. Its an interesting problem and very different than a 6 player game.

Absolutely. That's why Eridani is too good, and probably actually Shapers as well. Starting with big cannons when your opponent might never have access to them is pretty great.

Shapers might be balanced by the fact that their one opponent can focus on tripping up their fulfillment of distortion tiles, I'm not sure how that might play out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls