Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched a couple of the Team Covenant videos and while I love the art and theme, one mechanic of the game has completely turned me off from ever trying it. That mechanic is Pierce.

I hate that it sets a floor for damage taken (assuming attack is high enough) rather than subtract from defender's armor (like most games). It can completely remove seemingly core game mechanics from consideration and make guaranteed kills often quite easy to achieve. I see it generally warping the meta as high Pierce makes many cards/bots pretty worthless.

Does anyone else hate the way Pierce was implemented?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's a fairly standard way of having damage that ignores armor, and depending on exact rules can be better than straight subtraction to armor in avoiding corner cases and stacked effects (i.e., no feedback loops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't hate it. I think it's a bit easier to calculate pierce as it is now than it would be if it was a modifier to armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't hate it because it's hard to calculate, I hate it because it produces auto damage results where card flips don't matter way too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Logan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really thought about it like that. But I haven't had many games under my belt yet. Now that you mention this subtract from armor idea, I think it's really interesting. It does make the card flips matter and even more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Van Kampen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not too big of an issue, really - and it prevents big characters from becoming invincible by simply piling on armor and heals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Adams
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierce is good... but it’s not game wreckingly good. To get pierce numbers higher than 3, decks have to be wildly built around the idea. Even sinking that “base” of 2 or 3 isn’t that big of a deal when most robots have 4x that for health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Norton
United States
Gardner
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierce prevents what would end up being ridiculously annoying decks that just stacked armor and made the game drag on forever while you cannot do much of anything but wait for it to end. Pierce is good, but not great and very necessary for the health of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Teddy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't have too many games under my belt, but I actually like pierce. I don't get the feeling that this is supposed to be a long game, and it can help with some of the higher defensive characters. Maybe I'll change my mind after more games but for now i'm happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see its use (and I don't necessarily feel that it's broken), just very boring when card flips don't matter as the damage is set regardless of card flips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think pierece is well implemented in this game. It's a generally low value (1-3) and is integrated in the system's mechanic of (usually) only being able to attack a tapped character.

Your dislike of it may simply be a matter of taste, which I can understand, but from a game-play standpoint, it works quite well within the greater scope of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls