Dan Mo
United States
Glencoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, planning on playing this game tomorrow for the FIRST time and all players are very experienced with heavy games. I know the game recommends sticking to the base game for the first game but reading the rules it all seems pretty simple and I saw people debating about how some expansion modules could have been part of the base.

So it is all about balance... Which expansions would you recommend me adding for a first game, if I am looking for increased depth or strategic value, but without of course making it too fiddly for a first time?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added the well of wishes and sacred stones on my first game. They are very easy to use and add a little more variety to the map. I would also consider throwing in the Treachery cards if you don't mind/want some "take that" action. Looking back now I probably would have used the Temple Ruins as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Thomas
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WIth experienced gamers, I recommend using the Guild & Monuments expansion.

The Guild Token allows a lot more ability to manipulate your blocks (potential to influence to conviction; back and forth from companions and relics; etc), and so opens up more of the interesting gameplay like region control and empowered draws.

I would not necessarily include the monument board, though, since that’s kind of its own thing... and as such, it’s really just another decision to make that doesn’t make the game more FULL, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gerac
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
For the first play, any of the extra tiles would be fine to substitute in. The guilds and monuments is probably a stretch for the first game but doable if you really want to. Treachery cards are a must add as well if you want any sort of conflict. Pet menagerie is an easy tile to swap in and adds a few more choices. Wishing well is also a good choice. Personally I like to take one tile for each of the basic attributes and swap those out to force players to get attributes other ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Pets if you really really really want to. Otherwise - none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosher
United States
Kenosha
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent question!

For people new to the game I would use Well of Wishes in place of The Academy, The Menagerie in place of an Inn and the Temple Ruins in place of a Shrine.

The Well of Wishes is more balanced than The Academy, (which will be remedied by the expansion replacement attribute die), but I also really like the random tile function of the Well. It gives it an opportunistic appeal that The Academy lacks, IMHO.

The Menagerie is just a way to appeal to people, because pets! Pets that happen to expand your companions abilities just enough to provide another layer of strategic depth without introducing more mechanics.

The Temple Ruins is a must for new players in my mind because you want to give them as much opportunity for success as possible. Sometimes secret quests become unobtainable or they never quite get the card combinations they need to make them happen, or maybe it just conflicts with their play style. I think it'd be good for them to have options in those circumstances.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your first play, wretch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosher
United States
Kenosha
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DC680 wrote:
I would also consider throwing in the Treachery cards if you don't mind/want some "take that" action.
My only caution with the Treachery cards is that not everyone enjoys having points taken away on the draw of a card, especially the first time they play the game. I know I don't. OTOH, if your group is highly competitive, then Treachery may be inevitable anyway a must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mo
United States
Glencoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all... Good suggestions... I would just not use Treachery given its take that nature...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mosher
United States
Kenosha
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ninja'd!

jrg6504 wrote:
I like to take one tile for each of the basic attributes and swap those out to force players to get attributes other ways.
I think that's a fine idea for the Vindicated, but maybe not first time players. Replacing the tiles I recommend won't diminish the players' ability to gain attributes as usual so that first-time players can have as standard an experience as possible with a bit more flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls