Subject: Knocking yourself (or others) over rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lee marrett
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Im wondering about the rules relating to being knocked over. The rules say if you knock yourself over, lose a treasure to the maw and if someone else knocks you over you give them a treasure. I also recently saw a post about deliberately knocking yourself off the board to start the turn on a cave, which seemingly was ok.

So does this mean you can just knock everyone else over every turn and force them to give you a treasure? I had assumed the knocking over rules applies only to marble knocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only count knocking others over when it is directly related to launching a Fireball\Ember\Boulder\Tiger\Crows Nest. In all other circumstances, you reset the board to the best of your ability, possibly with the offending party paying tribute to the Maw for their folly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee marrett
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! So how would that relate then to the previous discussion on knocking yourself over, which people ruled you could do on purpose as a tactic to start your turn on a cave?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's precisely why it is so difficult to knock yourself off the island(s). To go down the various ways you could do it:

1) Fireballs - These are always launched from Vul-Kar, and have a fairly well defined path that they can go down. It's possible that they could knock you off the island if you are at the section right behind Vul-Kar standing right at one of the landing points, but everywhere else is very unlikely to have enough momentum to send you flying, or are actively shielded from Fireballs (the edge by Skull Beach).

2) Embers - These have a bit of a better chance of getting you, particularly the one right by the Helipad. However, you're still looking at the one by the helipad or the one behind Vul-Kar, so still not a very good chance of sending you flying.

3) Boulder - Another good candidate for sending you into the water, but the only really solid launch point to do that is the cave by the Helipad, and unlike the marbles, it's so large and light that it loses momentum almost immediately, making it much more difficult to pull the shot off.

4) Snakes/Bees - These act like the Embers or Fireballs respectively, but are smaller and lighter, making it less likely for them to actually send you flying.

5) Tiger - If you can line up the shot and get it reliably, this is going to be your best bet at pulling the shot off - but that is a seriously big if. In my experience, you are lucky to even hit the island with the Tiger, much less an individual figure, so this is not terribly likely to happen.

6) The Crimson Cutlass - A bit of a special note for the Crimson Cutlass - there's less variability in how much energy you get with the Crows Nest or the embers there. It's a smaller board all around, so the Embers there could do the job more easily, but it's still not an easy shot to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leemajors wrote:
I had assumed the knocking over rules applies only to marble knocks.
How else would you get knocked over? You can't just flick your playing piece with your finger and knock it over. Sorry, maybe I'm not sure what you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leemajors wrote:
So does this mean you can just knock everyone else over every turn and force them to give you a treasure? I had assumed the knocking over rules applies only to marble knocks.
Just checking...are you under the impression you can just flick characters with your fingers? That's not allowed. There has to be an intermediary - a marble or the boulder or the tiger, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two other conditions where you can be knocked over by the rules:
1) You're knocked over by the tremors going through the board from a marble etc bouncing along the board, or

2) You're knocked over by a marble etc hitting an unstable space that you are currently on.

I would note that these are both directly tied to something else occurring on the board, which is why they count, even if all of the Fireball islands go to the opposite side of the island and you still get knocked over (hey, I've seen it happen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls