Subject: Campaign question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game for my boyfriend. We play euros together but in recent years he's formed a gaming group and they tend to veer towards more AT games, of which I know very little about.

Anyway, I've read up on this game and I think it looks like it could be a winner BUT the campaign puts me off. I read on the main page "Playable as a campaign or individual adventures...". Does this mean you can completely ignore the campaign and just play the scenarios as one off kinda games? If so, does it play well this way or is it really designed as a campaign?

This is really my only reservation about it, well, the price too but I can get over that.

Sorry if I've said anything stupid. Like I said, I know very little about these kinds of games.

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you had written something like this in another thread.
Rise of Moloch can be played campaign or scenario. The campaign are dynamic. Several win/lose conditions effect the starting of the following scenario in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Rise of Moloch can be played campaign or scenario. The campaign are dynamic. Several win/lose conditions effect the starting of the following scenario in the campaign.

Did I? It's possible. I've a terrible memory from meds I'm on but I don't even remember looking at this game before.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question I assume if you play the scenario way, nothing carries forward to the next one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Just You Wait!
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
BIgLatinDude wrote:

Did I? It's possible. I've a terrible memory from meds I'm on but I don't even remember looking at this game before.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question I assume if you play the scenario way, nothing carries forward to the next one?
Single scenario can be played at 3 different power levels, with more or less powers/abilities/gear for both sides. But nothing carries over unless you play as a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Pfeifer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
You asked pretty much the same thing about the Others and Rise of Moloch was mentioned there, too, so that's probably the reason we recognized the question.

To add an answer to the question, yes, you can play the six scenarios individually. But if you play them in sequence anyway, then that achieves nothing.

Instead you lose the intermissions, in which the gentlemen can improve their abilities and gear or even get swapped out for others, and you lose the general story. There's nothing to gain from playing in single shot mode exclusively. It's more like a means to revisit favourite chapters later.

Durign the campaign some effects carry over, but it's not hard to keep track of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. The reason I ask is cos they often don't have the same people playing and they often won't want to play the same game several times in a row to follow through a story. They just want single games.

Sorry for asking a similar question. I've been doing a lot of research into games that I don't know an awful lot about due to never playing any of them before but I'm trying. I just wanted to make sure before I set down £70 for it.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Pfeifer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's not that much story, we also had a player who only played a couple of the sessions, not all. It's not as if, say, the third chapter played any different whether you play it as part of the campaign or on its own. In the campaign, either the gentlemen or the Nemesis win Moloch stones, which have certain powers, which they get to keep for the remaining campaign. And there are some prerequisites which change, a small advantage for the winner or a disadvantage for the loser of the previous chapter.

Are you thinking about the base game only or more than that? There are several expansions and Kickstarter stretch goals to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely just thinking of the base game to start as I don't know if it'll go down well... and it's expensive enough as it is lol. Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try and gt it as cheap as possible, there are many ways. Trade, buy in BGG market (maybe you can get it at a decent price), sales, the big outlets have sales like any other retail store, Valentines, black Friday, cyber Monday, illuminated Tuesdays...etc.

RoM is a great thematic game, so is The Others. Strong themes, decent mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
I'm definitely just thinking of the base game to start as I don't know if it'll go down well... and it's expensive enough as it is lol. Thanks for your help.
If you like the steampunk theme at all, then this is a great and fun game. I really like it.

You can definitely play any of the scenarios stand-alone. There are even rules for pre-leveling up your guys for a scenario if you don't want to play it at just-starting-out level (entirely optional). The core box is sufficient for about a dozen games or so before it becomes a little stale.

One note: the rules are an easy read, but have some notable holes. Make sure you get the FAQ if you get the game.

Also, if you can find a pre-owned copy with the Kickstarter extras, that more than doubles the game's content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Try and gt it as cheap as possible, there are many ways. Trade, buy in BGG market (maybe you can get it at a decent price), sales, the big outlets have sales like any other retail store, Valentines, black Friday, cyber Monday, illuminated Tuesdays...etc.

RoM is a great thematic game, so is The Others. Strong themes, decent mechanics.
It's a present so I need it new and I need to buy in the next day or 2. I have a little more in my bank account than I thought and I thought I'd spend it on my bf. The cheapest I can find it in the UK is £70 but I'll pay that if I feel it's the right game for them. I just still don't really have an idea of how the game is when you don't play the campaign. I'm looking for a game that lets you play isolated scenarios without stuff carrying over to the next scenario. Chances are they'd play this then maybe not go back to it for a couple of months and with different people. It sounds like maybe this isn't the right game to get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
qudoz wrote:
If you like the steampunk theme at all, then this is a great and fun game. I really like it.

You can definitely play any of the scenarios stand-alone. There are even rules for pre-leveling up your guys for a scenario if you don't want to play it at just-starting-out level (entirely optional). The core box is sufficient for about a dozen games or so before it becomes a little stale.

One note: the rules are an easy read, but have some notable holes. Make sure you get the FAQ if you get the game.

Also, if you can find a pre-owned copy with the Kickstarter extras, that more than doubles the game's content.
Thank you! You posted while I was typing Thanks for the info on playing the game with stand alone scenarios! And the info about the rulebook. Is the FAQ on here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
qudoz wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
qudoz wrote:

Thank you! You posted while I was typing Thanks for the info on playing the game with stand alone scenarios! And the info about the rulebook. Is the FAQ on here?
https://cmon.com/product/the-world-of-smog/rise-of-moloch

Scroll down a bit until you see the rules link. There is a tab above that that takes you to Faq/Errata. By the way, I don't believe any of the errata applies to the core box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
qudoz wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
qudoz wrote:

https://cmon.com/product/the-world-of-smog/rise-of-moloch

Scroll down a bit until you see the rules link. There is a tab above that that takes you to Faq/Errata. By the way, I don't believe any of the errata applies to the core box.
Thank you so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls