8 Posts

Tybor the Builder» Forums » General

Subject: How is this for a casual gamer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mohit Sharma
Canada
flag msg tools
Wondering how easy/difficult is this to grok for someone who has only played TTR.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s moderately more complicated, but not much more. The drafting concept is simple. It’s the concept of how to use your cards for building strength or the efficiencies and how you spend strength to build buildings that might be difficult to explain.

You might want to give an example of how to build when teaching the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
It’s moderately more complicated, but not much more. The drafting concept is simple. It’s the concept of how to use your cards for building strength or the efficiencies and how you spend strength to build buildings that might be difficult to explain.

You might want to give an example of how to build when teaching the game.
And do not skimp when explaining how color discounts work. Explicitly mention that cards can have 0 cost with enough discounts. (And clarify which bonuses are "Get X for each set" vs. "X gets you Y once".) Other than that... [points at Evan S's post]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex brings up a fair point. It's been a bit since I last played and the end game scoring bonuses and efficiency discounts do bring the game a pretty sizeable step above TtR. But I still think with a little hand holding, your novices will grok it.

I can tell you this, Oh My Goods! would be even harder to explain. Only Port Royal among the Pfister small boxes would be easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's a drafting & tableau building game, with each round having some extra goals / requirements.

My view would be if you want a really light drafting game to get across the general mechanics, have a few games of Sushi Go.

I also this that TdB is small step up from 7 Wonders, mainly that the cards are smaller and that while in both games every card is multi-use, with TdB each card has different values for it's different uses.

I don't think it's an inherently complicated game, but it's got some intricacies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The drafting part will be easy to understand but they will need a complete game to understand how the cards could be used and the different, many, ways to scoring the cards.

I would suggest to play the first time without explaining to much about the end scoring and the bonuses, if any, at the end of each round. Just to let be familiar with the multi use card part. At the end of the round you can explain the end round bonus and at the end of the game you go through all the end game scoring.

I would suggest also to pick a simple end round bonus and a simple end game bonus for the first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely teach this over Oh My Goods. I think Tybor has the advantage that newer players will not get left in the dust from a slightly sub-par engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
although an excellent game this is quite a jump into euro-land unless very bright, mathy people. I would consider Port Royal or Majesty for the Realm next if you don't want to scare them off forever. If they smash those then, yes, straight onto Tybor for some real fun!

edit: I would add Jump Drive for a great beginner's card game, as long as the sci-fi theme appeals to your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls