9 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: doubts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Martínez
msg tools
1) Orc patrol

a) Can I play it if frodo is in Edoras but is controlled by the shadows?

b) Can I play it if frodo is in Dol Guldur but is controlled by the Free Peoples?

2) Can I place 1 action dice of Minor Server (Balrog / Gothmog) for the event card the eye without eyelid ?.

3) Card of event of the shadow strategy (19). Can I recruit in Monte Gram if it is controlled by the Free Peoples ?. What if it's just the nazgûl?

4)I have had a very important question, and that is when you must steal the card of the ability of the Witch King. I have had words with Roberto Di Meglio, creator of the game. Look at your constellation and give your opinion if it is true or not. There are people who say that they steal at the end of the round and other Roberto tells me otherwise.

Dear Antonio
I don't know what to say, I think the text is pretty clear. In fact the ability was reduced from the First Edition.
It works:
First round of battle
Wk is in the battle
you both play cards
the Shadow draws an event card from the deck of the card he played (to use later)
you continue with the rest as normal (rolling dice, and so on)
I recommend you discuss the card on Boardgamegeek, as I only have little time to discuss rules!
Take care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1a) No.

2a) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) No.

4) The card is drawn at the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Martínez
msg tools
I still do not understand why Roberto tells me that the letter is stolen immediately. In the first edition he says that the ability is stolen immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was some ambiguity in the wording of the card in the 1st edition, so it was changed in the 2nd. (Many claim that there is still ambiguity in the wording.) There was much discussion on the subject at the time, so I can assure you that my answer above is the correct one.

The problem with asking designers about rules is that they work on many different games, so they don't always remember every detail about every game without looking it up. I know that Roberto is exceedingly busy right now, so I'm sure that's why he directed you to ask the question here, so that you would get the correct answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
I recommend this thread to catch up on some tricky rules:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1585632/various-nit-picky-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
antmarcar1991 wrote:
I still do not understand why Roberto tells me that the letter is stolen immediately. In the first edition he says that the ability is stolen immediately.

Stolen is not the right wording for it.

In 2nd Edition it states immediately indeed. But since you must conclude the current action (combat) you take it after the first round.

What we do is draw the card immediately and put it into hand without looking and go on with the combat. This way we dont forget to draw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arontje wrote:
What we do is draw the card immediately and put it into hand without looking and go on with the combat. This way we dont forget to draw it.
That's what we do. In the event that the Witch King dies during that battle round, we would put the card back unseen since the rule technically didn't kick in, but its never actually happened in a real game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Martínez
msg tools
Roberto told me that even if the witch king died, the letter would die and you would not lose it.

a) If the witch king has died in combat, but played a card, does he draw a card after the first round in which he died?

Yes, becasuse you draw the card IMMEDIATELY when you play, not at the end of the round.

b) When I steal the combat card, at the end of the combat round?

No, "IMMEDIATELY" as stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Sandston
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been resolved offline. The current rulings stand, and we are working on clearer wordings for the cards involved for future print runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls