Root» Forums » General

Subject: Root TTS Tournaments? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lex Zypher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

This is the best forum I can find for this, given that Organized Play seems to focus around local games, and Play-by-Forum is, well, played by the forum.

I belong to the Woodland Warriors discord for Root, where Cole sometimes shows up to chat about things, a few of us ramble on about whatever, and of course we discuss game data and strategy talk. We set up games for Tabletop Simulator play there, which usually happen once or twice a day.

I've been considering rulesets for tournament play, and what they might look like. I'm mostly looking to see if there's any real interest to playing with a specific program against other players on the internet for mostly internet glory and data collection purposes. I'm sure if I can figure out a prize of some sort, I will, but my budget is kind of limited at the moment.

Basic rules I can see happening are:
- Assumed 4 player games
- Score 3/2/1/0 for game rank, with ties going to the player later in turn order.
- Dominance gives 1st place points on win, 2nd place points if threatening Dominance on a loss, 4th otherwise.
- Coalition splits 1st and 2nd place points between the Vagabond and their partner on a win, otherwise Vagabond takes 4th place on a loss.
- Players are grouped together
- Each group consists of a fully setup table, including turn order and factions, some of which may be cultivated to try out standard combinations or to do ridiculous things like double vagabond with WA and Riverfolk, some others may be randomized.
- Each group plays their setup four times, rotating seats after each play. Thus, each player will play as each faction once.
- Highest scorers of each group after all four games have been played will move onto the next stage of group games.

I'd like to see how these tournament rules hold up and if it's worth having games set up like this. Granted, it's going to be multiple hours of gameplay per round, but I'm kind of hesitant on a tournament being just a one-and-done for each group of players. For the purposes of this tournament, I'd want at least one game done every three days, with some wiggle room for scheduling and simply counting a player as a score of 0 if they can't show up without any prior warnings of absence or scheduling of games.

Let me know if this is something that you'd be personally interested in participating in, because I'd like to start up on it next week or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Long
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Discord link is invalid. Is it meant to be public? If so mind making a fresh link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls