Spirit Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reclaiming and discarding questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Foie
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi I'm new to the game and had some confusion after my first two games.

So first off, once you a draw 4 cards and pick 1 new power card, from either minor or major, do you put the other 3 cards in your discard pile with major and minor piles being separate? When reclaiming, do you get all of these cards in your discard pile, from both major and minor or do you need to forget a major for every major you reclaim?

Also, it doesn’t seem right to me that by drawing 1 new power card, you can reclaim next turn and get all of the power cards you didn’t select out of the 4. For example, I drew four minor power cards, chose one, and next turn I reclaimed and got the other 3 cards added to my hand, and eventually I even had a hand of 10 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you gain a new power, the three that you didn't take don't go into your discard pile - you are unlikely to ever see them again. You create a single discard pile for all minor powers that aren't taken and another discard pile for all major powers that aren't taken (by all players). These powers don't belong to anyone and can't be reclaimed.

Using the Reclaim Cards growth option returns all power cards from your discard pile to your hand; major, minor, and unique. You only forget a power card for gaining a major power; not for reclaiming one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parse wrote:
Hi I'm new to the game and had some confusion after my first two games.
Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the game!
Parse wrote:
So first off, once you a draw 4 cards and pick 1 new power card, from either minor or major, do you put the other 3 cards in your discard pile with major and minor piles being separate? When reclaiming, do you get all of these cards in your discard pile, from both major and minor or do you need to forget a major for every major you reclaim?
There are separate discard piles: one for each player (containing cards of all types that you have played), and two global discard piles, one for Major powers and one for Minor powers. When you reclaim you get all the cards in your own discard pile, not the global ones, and the powers you don't choose when gaining cards go to the global discard piles. See the setup diagram on p. 7 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Gaebler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Major and Minor Powers you forget because you gained a Major Power (or other reasons in Branch and Claw) also go to the same global discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorkenpeist wrote:
Also, Major and Minor Powers you forget because you gained a Major Power (or other reasons in Branch and Claw) also go to the same global discards.
Except the spirit-specific ones. They are removed from the game (makes a difference should you need to reshuffle one of the power card discard piles)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nocturnal Carnivore

California
msg tools
Lorkenpeist wrote:
So you or anyone else could draft them again? Including if you forgot your spirit's starting powers? So another spirit could draw and learn your starting powers? Which discard pile would those go in?
That's not how we've been playing it. Powers forgotten (whether due to learning a Major or a Blighted Island effect) go in the box and can never be seen again in that game.

ninja again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Foie
France
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the help, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Semifero
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NocturnalCarnivore wrote:
Lorkenpeist wrote:
So you or anyone else could draft them again? Including if you forgot your spirit's starting powers? So another spirit could draw and learn your starting powers? Which discard pile would those go in?
That's not how we've been playing it. Powers forgotten (whether due to learning a Major or a Blighted Island effect) go in the box and can never be seen again in that game.

ninja again!
You’ve been playing it right. Starting powers are neither major nor minor. Once forgotten, they are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zubon wrote:
NocturnalCarnivore wrote:
Lorkenpeist wrote:

ninja again!
You’ve been playing it right. Starting powers are neither major nor minor. Once forgotten, they are gone.
What he said was different though: They put all forgotten powers in the box. However, from the rulebook P.18, it clearly says:

* Major and Minor Powers you forget go into their discard pile.
* Unique Powers you forget are removed from the game.

It is entirely possible to redraft cards someone forgot, especially without the expansion (less cards overall) and multiple spirits drawing through the deck quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Foie
France
flag msg tools
mb
So you only forget major powers when you replace once of your four starting powers? And you do not need to forget powers when you have major powers in your hand and draw more major powers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parse wrote:
So you only forget major powers when you replace once of your four starting powers? And you do not need to forget powers when you have major powers in your hand and draw more major powers?
Any time you get a new Major Power, you need to forget a power. (Usually you'll be drawing four and picking one to get a new power.) The power you forget can be anything that you have: one of the four starting powers, a Minor Power, or (sometimes) a Major Power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Gaebler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
Parse wrote:
Any time you get a new Major Power, you need to forget a power. (Usually you'll be drawing four and picking one to get a new power.) The power you forget can be anything that you have: one of the four starting powers, a Minor Power, or (sometimes) a Major Power.
You can even forget the Major Power you just gained if it's a dud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorkenpeist wrote:
I've never even thought of that. That's a useful tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever had to do that a few times overall, but it's a very nice way to get out of trading something you're not going to play for something you could play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Foie
France
flag msg tools
mb
Lorkenpeist wrote:
dthurston wrote:
Parse wrote:
So if you draw 4 major powers, choose one, you can forget the card you just choose? Isn't that counter-intuitive? Couldn't you just choose a different major power since you are drawing four instead of wasting a draw new power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parse wrote:
So if you draw 4 major powers, choose one, you can forget the card you just choose? Isn't that counter-intuitive? Couldn't you just choose a different major power since you are drawing four instead of wasting a draw new power?
Sometimes you just get a bad hand of 4 cards, and really don't want any of them.

(I've also seen it happen with the beginning games and the power progressions, where people really don't want, say, Poisoned Land.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
mbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
Lorkenpeist wrote:
Except the spirit-specific ones. They are removed from the game (makes a difference should you need to reshuffle one of the power card discard piles)
I just spotted this. It's no big deal in the grand order of things, and it's hard to see it making a difference to the outcome of a game, but still. My wife and I started a game late yesterday, played a few turns and then called it a night - and this morning I realised that I've injudiciously chosen to forget a unique power that I could now really do with. And that there's no mechanism that gives me even an outside chance to get it back again. Whereas with other powers there's always (very low) possibility that something could actually come back to you if the deck is sufficiently churned. Ah, well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian N
msg tools
mbmb
Parse wrote:
It's a get-out-of-jail rule for those times when chance gives you a really rubbish set of four powers to choose from, and you really don't want any of them in preference to anything you already have. You're not obliged to make your hand worse than it is, simply because you opted to draw a major power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Gruber
msg tools
fredd13 wrote:
pinoeppel wrote:
Lorkenpeist wrote:
I just spotted this. It's no big deal in the grand order of things, and it's hard to see it making a difference to the outcome of a game, but still. My wife and I started a game late yesterday, played a few turns and then called it a night - and this morning I realised that I've injudiciously chosen to forget a unique power that I could now really do with. And that there's no mechanism that gives me even an outside chance to get it back again. Whereas with other powers there's always (very low) possibility that something could actually come back to you if the deck is sufficiently churned. Ah, well.
I'd been thinking about this. Would a house-rule that you can, in lieu of staying four cards to choose between from the Minor/Major decks, retrieve a unique power you've previously discarded when you get the chance to gain a new power be unbalanced?

I don't think so, but I'd want to ask the experts. And, in the few cases it matters (Many Minds, for instance), you could say you shuffle your discarded uniques and draw up to four top choose from - assuming you've decided you REALLY don't want to be the spirit you are and trashed all of them .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Gaebler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absol197 wrote:
fredd13 wrote:
pinoeppel wrote:
Lorkenpeist wrote:
I'd been thinking about this. Would a house-rule that you can, in lieu of staying four cards to choose between from the Minor/Major decks, retrieve a unique power you've previously discarded when you get the chance to gain a new power be unbalanced?

I don't think so, but I'd want to ask the experts. And, in the few cases it matters (Many Minds, for instance), you could say you shuffle your discarded uniques and draw up to four top choose from - assuming you've decided you REALLY don't want to be the spirit you are and trashed all of them .
If that were allowed, you could forget a situationally useful unique power card and know that you can get it back whenever you want, and count on whatever elements it has. Major powers would be significantly less of a sacrifice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absol197 wrote:

In my opinion, yes. If you forgot the power, then want to recover it later, that means that it is the right power for you at that moment. Your house rule gives you a 100% chance of getting the exact power that you need (way better than usual odds).

If you wanted to provide a way to remember, I would start testing something along the lines of:

Instead of gaining a power, you may remember a forgotten unique power for your spirit. If you do so, forget a power.

That's effectively giving up a power gain to change your mind about a power you forgot earlier, which I suspect is close to balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Helms
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
Absol197 wrote:

I fear it would be horrifically broken with Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares in particular if he was allowed to constantly bring back Call on Midnight´s Dreams and forget it over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Gaebler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melkhor wrote:
Absol197 wrote:

I fear it would be horrifically broken with Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares in particular if he was allowed to constantly bring back Call on Midnight´s Dreams and forget it over and over again.
Gather all the Dahan into a single land, then play a new Major Power every turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls