Subject: Legacy aspect of the game from a simulational point of view? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are going to play neanderthal+greenland this friday but we are having some issues understanding how both games connect together since there are lots (and lots) of years separating both games.

Does greenland simulate a totally different thing when played as a legacy game? How does this legacy aspect work as a simulation?

I mean, in genesis -> megafauna it is quite clear how your results in a game are directly continued in the next one. Not so much in Neanderthal, where a neanderthal tribe can convert to a norse tribe and continue as if phew years passed whereas the original greenland would be happening milions of years after.

Could anyone explain this or point me where this is explained in the rulebook / notes? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Pinios
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the living rules:

K1. COMBINATION NEANDERTHAL-GREENLAND GAME
You can start a Greenland game using the tribesmen leftover at the end of a Neanderthal game. If so, the VPs you attained in Neanderthal are recorded and added to your final Greenland score to determine the overall winner. Setup is per Part C (Greenland), except:

Starting Tribesmen And Disks. You are limited to the tribesmen and disks you had at the end of Neanderthal. You may allocate your tribesmen either as unassigned, or (Tunit only) Colonists. This may give you more or fewer than indicated in Part C.

Elders. Exchange your Neanderthal Placard for the Greenland one. Elders transfer to the equivalent rank.

Domestic Animals. Exchange each of your Neanderthal domestic animals with a Greenland domestic animal chosen at random from the D biomes. The Norse choose from the unused Norse animals.

Inventions. Exchange each of your Neanderthal inventions with a Greenland invention chosen at random from the I biomes.

Daughters. Exchange each two of your Neanderthal daughters with a Greenland daughter chosen at random from your side.

Vocal. If you ended the Neanderthal game as a vocal, you are not allowed to start the Greenland game with any Elders, and are not allowed promotion for the first turn.

Ice. For each ice-sheet in North or South Europe, start one of the biomes in North or South Greenland respectively on its cold side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is how it works when you want to start a legacy game and combine your neanderthal end position with greenland start.

What I was actually asking is: what does greenland simulate / recreate when you play the game as a continuation from neanderthal. It is clear that when playing this way, greenland tribes seem to be direct evolutions from their neanderthal counterparts.

Basically I am asking for the explanations behind the rules, not the rules themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
The Sinatra Doctrine
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer, the transition simulates nothing.

Neanderthal is about the beginnings of humanity, when it leaps forward in terms of potential and when it separates into those moving west from Northern Africa, and those moving east, all the way to the Americas. Greenland is about the moment when these two branches meet again after their travel round the Northern Hemisphere. And those who met in Greenland were all descendants of the Cro Magnon (well, with a varying amount of genes, at least from the Neanderthals).

So, the "campaign mode" is not justified biologically, but only mechanically and at the meta-theme level (i.e. two-three groups who went each their own way at roughly the time of Neanderthal (later for the Tunit-Thule) meeting again on a harsh piece of land after thousands or tens of thousands of years of separation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Pinios
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it

Thumb up