20 Posts

The City of Kings» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What's your opinion on the healing stat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing through two stories and two scenarios, I've arrived at the conclusion that increasing the healing stat is completely useless.

In all six of my games there has never been a single situation where healing a character would have had any beneficial effect.

It's a lot better to simply maximize your attack stat because that will allow you to end fights quickly instead of prolonging them.

Since healing shares the same action spaces as attacking it's a strictly worse choice. The reason is twofold:

- for healing to be useful, your target must also have increased its max health, i.e. you need twice as many stat increases for it to be effective.

- because of the strict turn order and the timing of creature attacks there is never an opportunity to actually prevent a character from dying. For that to work, you'd need the healing ability to work anytime.

It's generally a lot more efficient to pay a visit to the city of kings since it instantly heals a character _and_ removes any afflictions.

Given the length of scenarios and stories, it's also often the best choice to simply make a suicide attack on a creature. As it doesn't even end your turn, you can make good use of being teleported to the city as a shortcut to other locations or to go shopping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to have one character build up attack, and normally a bit of health to survive the reflect ability.

The other I build health and healing to tank. It helps the characters attack a few turns in a row. Because you can move tank into range then attacking character, and attack. Then heal up the damage taken. However I do normally only take the healing stat up a few points. Enough that a double heal will fully heal me.

In particulay I normally heal/tank with T'hlorra, who can heal after taking a basic attack with a Tier 2 ability. This has saved me a couple of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fistful of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, with the increase in reflect damage out there with the re-print, Healing is even more important than ever.

Even a couple of points of healing can make the difference between still being standing after a fight and having to spend 3 or 4 turns trekking back across the board from The City of Kings to attack that enemy up in the top right hand corner.

Certainly I have 1 character who leans strongly into Attack (plus a bit of health and luck), but the second one always boosts their healing a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas Grondhuis
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
Mightyjim wrote:

Certainly I have 1 character who leans strongly into Attack (plus a bit of health and luck), but the second one always boosts their healing a bit.
Same here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Harforth
United States
Boone
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can look at multiple recent games where I would have lost had I not boosted of of my characters healing stat, I can definitely echo the One Fighter, One Healer build that everybody has mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s the only way my group made it through story one ! Healing is a huge benefit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pearscw wrote:
In particulay I normally heal/tank with T'hlorra, who can heal after taking a basic attack with a Tier 2 ability. This has saved me a couple of times.
Well, that's one of the exceptions/conditions I mentioned that could make healing useful:
Being able to use it anytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Yeah, with the increase in reflect damage out there with the re-print, Healing is even more important than ever.
Well, that's what I initially thought, but for some reason it never works:

If my fighter attacks twice, he's usually dead if the creature has reflect.

And attacking just once to use the second action to heal himself instead and then use a second characters action(s) to heal him up further is so inefficient I can't see it working well, either.

Of course my experience is still limited to lower level characters (up to about level 10), but so far I've found it to be impossible to increase both max health and attack (or max health and heal) to make healing a useful option.

Maybe things look different at very high character levels or when playing with more than two characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find healing useless, but have yet to want it above rank 3. Like most here, my two-character group has one attack-heavy person and one tank/healer/other person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
It's a lot better to simply maximize your attack stat because that will allow you to end fights quickly instead of prolonging them.
Are you playing with more than one character? Obviously you need one hero with a high attack stat. But not all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Fistful of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:
Well, that's what I initially thought, but for some reason it never works:

If my fighter attacks twice, he's usually dead if the creature has reflect.

And attacking just once to use the second action to heal himself instead and then use a second characters action(s) to heal him up further is so inefficient I can't see it working well, either.

Of course my experience is still limited to lower level characters (up to about level 10), but so far I've found it to be impossible to increase both max health and attack (or max health and heal) to make healing a useful option.

Maybe things look different at very high character levels or when playing with more than two characters.
are you using equipment? I find that more-or-less regardless of the story/scenario, questing for Item designs and getting equipped is key to having enough Health AND Attack boost to fight the bigger enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:

Wait, what change? I have the original printing, but haven't gone through my update pack yet, how was this changed and where is it shown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Empirically Awesome Games! http://empiricallyawesome.com/
badge
Empirically Awesome Games! http://empiricallyawesome.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
Mightyjim wrote:

Wait, what change? I have the original printing, but haven't gone through my update pack yet, how was this changed and where is it shown?
The new stat bar replacements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In solo or two player I’ve tend to have one build up health so effectively tanking and the other upgrading to healer increasing attack behind this and it’s worked quite nicely for me (except worked based scenarios where I’ve upgraded their gather and move stats). With the healer I’ve upgraded the luck skills mainly through equipment which makes it hugely beneficial and similarly attack via this route, increasing range through skill tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Are you playing with more than one character? Obviously you need one hero with a high attack stat. But not all of them.
In the first scenario (Desecrated) I actually increased attack for both characters which worked rather well for me.

In story 1 I tried to go for one fighter and one healer and it didn't go well.

In story 2 I went with one fighter and maxed the worker stats with the other.

In the second scenario I went with one fighter and one worker/healer mix, which again didn't work, leading directly to my posting here because I realized the issues with healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
are you using equipment? I find that more-or-less regardless of the story/scenario, questing for Item designs and getting equipped is key to having enough Health AND Attack boost to fight the bigger enemies.
I'm mostly using equipment to increase my health, if available.

Unfortunately, I've usually found it difficult to actively try and draw more items, so I can't be picky.

In one game, I think it was story 1, one of my heroes (the dwarf?) had the ability to draw additional item cards. That was pretty awesome and both of my characters were fully equipped at the end.

Despite that, when I drew a kill quest after starting the legendary challenge, the level 10 creature was unbeatable (basic damage + poison cloud + fire wall + panic + move + patrol + ???), especially since I was facing three creatures at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubiks75 wrote:
In solo or two player I’ve tend to have one build up health so effectively tanking and the other upgrading to healer increasing attack behind this and it’s worked quite nicely for me (except worked based scenarios where I’ve upgraded their gather and move stats).
I may have to try that. The scenarios & stories I've played most recently all required gathering a lot of resources, so I couldn't really do it.
rubiks75 wrote:
With the healer I’ve upgraded the luck skills mainly through equipment which makes it hugely beneficial and similarly attack via this route, increasing range through skill tree.
Luck is indeed quite important to have once your attack stat is sufficiently high. Rolling that +50% makes short work of most creatures. That it also works with healing is just the icing on the cake.

I still think, healers would work best if you're playing with (at least) three characters. Then you can have a tank (increasing health), a striker (increasing attack), and a healer.
I haven't looked at the 3-player stat bars, yet, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I’d agree on the holy trinity approach, if I had more table space I’d probably go that way and with gaming group it’ll probably go that way, just not had chance with them yet (everybody has a post Christmas glut of games they want to get through)!

UPDATE: I’ve just played a further story and the heal ability definitely plays a part and some definitely have stronger healing powers unlocked by the skill tree, just played with t’lorra for the first time and she’s got some great healing related skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langford
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
At 2p, you do not have enough lives/players to suicidally attack monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mj_langford wrote:
At 2p, you do not have enough lives/players to suicidally attack monsters.
Unless you you're using the optional rule to start with 3 morale (which used to be the default in the game's first printing).

Having said that, I've since found that in story 3, there's finally a good reason to invest in healing:
Since the boss is putting strong ice tokens everywhere on the map, it gets extremely hard to make a short trip to the city to get a full heal.

I'd also been playing the Earthshaker and unlocked an ability to make a basic attack using a special attack. That allowed me to attack twice _and_ heal myself each turn. That was incredibly effective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls