Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is my second entry for the 2019 9 Card Game Print & Play Design Contest.

Check out my first entry as well, Labyrinth Runner.

SUNRISE IN MOLOKA'I

Players: 1
Time: 30-45 minutes (3-5 minutes per card)

Components:
9 double-sided Story Cards
Ballpoint pen or similar
Rules

PNP files: on the Sunrise in Moloka'i BGG page.

It is early morning on the island of Moloka’i, and the sun has not yet risen. All is calm...mostly. A few souls roam awake in the darkness: some risen early, some working late. Help them to discover what fate awaits them in the next sunrise.

In this casual narrative legacy game, you will experience a series of short stories that all happen on the Hawaiian island Moloka'i before dawn. Each story will come with its own minigame challenge. Your results in each challenge will determine how the final story goes, the story of the sunrise.

Awards (2019 9-Card Contest):
#1 Best Legacy Game
#2 Most Innovative Mechanic
#3 Most Thematic Game (Island, Vignette)
#4 Best Rulebook
#5 Best Solitaire Game
#5 Volunteer Prize (most popular among contest playtester volunteers)
#8 Best Overall Game
#14 Best Original Artwork

GDCR Page

Development Updates:
2-6-2019
2-15-2019
2-24-2019
3-1-2019
3-3-2019
3-11-2019
3-13-2019
3-29-2019
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Sunrise in Moloka'i [2019 9-Card Game Print & Play Design Contest] -- Idea Phase
Another legacy game! Excellent. Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Sunrise in Moloka'i [2019 9-Card Game Print & Play Design Contest] -- Idea Phase
Excellent! Great to have you!

I've got the general concept down, so for the past day or two I've just been writing as much as I can. I'd like to make this game heavy on narrative, which means I'm going to need to make sure the cards are readable like little pages. I'll have a visual test up soon. Thanks for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Visual Test
OK campers, I've settled on a few choices for text layout, and I've written enough text to release a visual test while keeping it as SPOILER-FREE as possible.

So far, I want this game to have a lot of narrative on the cards, so a big goal of mine is for it to read as naturally as possible. Check out the cards below, zooming out to the actual size of a card if you can (I use one of my other 3.5" x 2.5" cards for reference). What do you think?

#1 (my original format): Arial Narrow 8.5

#2: Gill Sans MT 8

#3: MS Sans Serif 8.

#4 (my favorite): Palatino Linotype 7.5

Let me know your thoughts! For now, I'm going with option #4. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like number 4 best but number 5... well it's a close second
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
OK folks, I've finally uploaded a prototype!

Keep in mind, the art is just placeholder. I did what I could with Microsoft icons.

You shouldn't need rules, since I have instructions directly on the cards. Just don't peek at page 2!

Enjoy! I'm off to bed. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Sunrise in Moloka'i [2019 9-Card Game Print & Play Design Contest] -- Components Available
Gave this little gem a go this afternoon.

What a fantastic mishmash of genres! Short stories meets mad libs meets legacy gaming. Very cool. I really felt like I got a taste of true Hawaiian culture by playing this which was even cooler. I thought the writing was well done.

Of the chapters my favorite by far was the first one. That was a very neat mechanic you had. I only made $120. I could have played 5 different versions of that fishing game and despite it being very luck based it was AWESOME. I actually had some strategy to how I attempted to fish, but clearly it failed. Thank goodness my cards printed perfectly. This game needs a perfect printing. You may wish to mention this. It matters a lot for this first one.

My second favorite was Chapter 3. I found it more challenging than I anticipated it, but after staring at the stars long enough I found everything.

Personally my least favorite was Chapter 4. I scored 0 VP on this one as I simply wasn't interested in making a flourishing garden, but went with that thematically. Just didn't want to put the effort in. It worked out in the end.

Chapter 5 was also a fantastic way of bringing the whole thing together. I liked that while I wanted to get VPs it wasn't really about that. You may wish to term it something else, something more neutral "story points"? I'm not sure. I associate VPs with euro games and this was about as far as you could get from a euro game.

Bravo!

This was a treat. I'm glad you decided to try your hand at a legacy game. It's a strange thing as legacy tends to imply a campaign and yet you certainly can't play this one again... Regardless, this truly was delectable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Sunrise in Moloka'i [2019 9-Card Game Print & Play Design Contest] -- Components Available
Wow! Thank you so much! I put a lot of my heart into this one, because one of the things I love most about games is their ability to immerse the player in a story and the experience of a character and I wanted to focus on that. I spent some time in Hawaii and visited Moloka'i, and I wanted to give at least a rough taste of what life was like there.

I'm so happy you enjoyed the fishing so much! I really wanted that game to simulate the educated guesswork of fishing. Interestingly, the first chapter was one of the last I came up with. I'll be sure to include in the rulebook that some of the games will require a perfect printing to work as intended.

I'm really glad you found the second game enjoyable and a tad challenging! So after gazing at the stars long enough, you saw the solutions? laugh That's just what I was hoping for! Did you find everything all at once, or was the process gradual as you continued to look at it?

Chapter 4 is actually one of my favorites haha but many players may not be ready at the end to put the creative energy in. I think you approached it very similarly to how Geraldine did, with reluctance! Do you normally like drawing games? Did this one seem off the mark design-wise, or just not to your taste?

That's a fantastic idea! I couldn't think of a good alternative term (Island Points? meh), but using VP bothered me as well and Story Points (SP) sounds spot-on!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the experience! Was there anything else you really wish were explained, or did the instructions and helps cover it?

Thanks so much again for the review! It made my morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onthewayover wrote:
I'm so happy you enjoyed the fishing so much! I really wanted that game to simulate the educated guesswork of fishing. Interestingly, the first chapter was one of the last I came up with. I'll be sure to include in the rulebook that some of the games will require a perfect printing to work as intended.
That's funny I actually thought to myself that you must have come up with the fishing idea first as it was the most innovative and built the rest after.

Onthewayover wrote:
Did you find everything all at once, or was the process gradual as you continued to look at it?
I found the butterfly first (not the right name) and fairly quickly. The rest took a lot more staring as there wasn't any give aways. Thankfully because the butterfly was easy I realized that the patterns weren't going to be found in exactly the same way as they were shown. They were rotated!

Onthewayover wrote:
Do you normally like drawing games? Did this one seem off the mark design-wise, or just not to your taste?
I'm not much of an artist in the drawing sense, but I really like pictionary. In pictionary though the element of a timer and people shouting helps spur you on! For this game once I understood what I needed to do, it felt like work to me, but I don't draw for fun, so likely a personal taste thing.

Onthewayover wrote:
I'm so glad you enjoyed the experience! Was there anything else you really wish were explained, or did the instructions and helps cover it?
I found the instructions to be quite clear. Of note I think I realised afterwards that the plants were supposed to be in the think curving pathways. Not sure why I didn't get that til after I started drawing. Otherwise it's all on the cards which is impressive!

Onthewayover wrote:
Thanks so much again for the review! It made my morning
Was a great experience. I could see this kind of a thing being great as a detective series, where there are puzzles to solve or items to pick up and circle to keep. Very cool concept for an only card experience that can only be played once. That fishing one though is fantastic in terms of most innovative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
When I have been looking through the contest entries, this one caught my attention.

More than a board game, it reminds me of the escape room games or some kind of gamebook, more focused on puzzles.
I like the overall approach of a cards-only game that doesn't need a rulebook and you learn stuff as you go through the sorted deck of cards. Friedmann Friese uses this approach in his Fast Forward series. It makes even more sence in a one-time use game like yours.

I haven't played the game physicaly, but I went through the cards on the PC.

The setting is nice and the story is pleasantly writen, it really reminds me of Hawaiian almost zen-like attitude.
From the puzzles, I like the first one (fishing) the most by far, and similarry like Christopher, I could imagine a game built entirely on this mechanism. However I would like to make it a bit more puzzly, to give the player more information allowing some kind of educated guess.

From the other puzzles, I like the stars a lot as well. On the other hand, drawing did not interest me, even though I usually enjoy it. Again, I would like it to include some kind of puzzle to give the drawing some purpose. I would like to see more puzzles like the fishing, working with the cards by flipping them, cutting, folding, etc.

The game feels almost like some kind of "proof of concept" for a planned bigger game. I can imagine a deck of lets say 50 cards, full of interconnecting puzzles, with cards switching places, flipping them, cutting, glueing, making notes... like an old PC advanture game in a deck of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
That's funny I actually thought to myself that you must have come up with the fishing idea first as it was the most innovative and built the rest after.
I deliberately tried to make this game bridge the gap between hobbyist and casual games, so I went for simpler designs, and with this one I was like, "Oh, that would be cool! But it's a risk..." I'm glad the risk payed off! Perhaps I could introduce a similar element in Bug Hunt...

TopherMel wrote:
Thankfully because the butterfly was easy I realized that the patterns weren't going to be found in exactly the same way as they were shown. They were rotated!
Yes! That's exactly the progression I hoped for! The butterfly is pretty easy, and it hints at the rotation element.

TopherMel wrote:
For this game once I understood what I needed to do, it felt like work to me, but I don't draw for fun, so likely a personal taste thing.
Fair. I'll see what others think about the garden as well.

Tophermel wrote:
Of note I think I realised afterwards that the plants were supposed to be in the think curving pathways. Not sure why I didn't get that til after I started drawing. Otherwise it's all on the cards which is impressive!
Yes, in the final I plan to place art in the other parts of the garden and leaving the thin curvy shoulders blank. Unless I rework it, of course, which I'm considering. Thank you!

TopherMel wrote:
Was a great experience. I could see this kind of a thing being great as a detective series, where there are puzzles to solve or items to pick up and circle to keep. Very cool concept for an only card experience that can only be played once.
Yeah, I really like this system as a way to make a narrative-heavy travel-friendly adventure! The detective series idea is great, because it could be organized as a series of cases and involve finding clues and such. How cool!

TopherMel wrote:
That fishing one though is fantastic in terms of most innovative.
Thank you! I think I'll take some time to reconsider the bug hunt and flower puzzles, those seem to be weaker points in the design so far. I'm sure I could use more of that canvas for the flower puzzle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if u made the garden about pruning leaves and petals and make it a puzzle to prune the fewest possible leaves and petals to satisfy the requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
uhlik wrote:
More than a board game, it reminds me of the escape room games or some kind of gamebook, more focused on puzzles.
Yes, I was inspired by the puzzle books that so attract casual gamers. I tried to adapt them into a more hobbyist form with a unifying narrative and theme and mechanical rigor.

uhlik wrote:
I like the overall approach of a cards-only game that doesn't need a rulebook and you learn stuff as you go through the sorted deck of cards. Friedmann Friese uses this approach in his Fast Forward series. It makes even more sence in a one-time use game like yours.
That's a great comparison! I hadn't thought of the Fast Forward series, but yes it's much like that!

uhlik wrote:
I haven't played the game physicaly, but I went through the cards on the PC.
The setting is nice and the story is pleasantly writen, it really reminds me of Hawaiian almost zen-like attitude.
Interesting approach! I wonder how you dodged spoilers when reading the continuing stories on the other side of the cards. Thank you!

uhlik wrote:
From the puzzles, I like the first one (fishing) the most by far, and similarry like Christopher, I could imagine a game built entirely on this mechanism. However I would like to make it a bit more puzzly, to give the player more information allowing some kind of educated guess.
Interesting! I was wondering if I hadn't given enough attempts to make X's (perhaps 12 or even 20 instead of 10), but to actually introduce more hints? I can't make it pure deduction like the star puzzle, because it's not actually a pure puzzle as written and is instead designed to be a probability game, but I could perhaps make another rule such as that the fish tend to group near each other.

uhlik wrote:
On the other hand, drawing did not interest me, even though I usually enjoy it. Again, I would like it to include some kind of puzzle to give the drawing some purpose. I would like to see more puzzles like the fishing, working with the cards by flipping them, cutting, folding, etc.
Hm, yes, I think I need to revisit the flower puzzle. It is meant to challenge dexterity (to draw everything small enough without overlapping) and spatial reasoning (to figure out how to arrange everything and pick unique features to draw). I'll need to take some time with this challenge and see how I can improve it. I do want to limit components to the cards and a pen if I can; that's one of my central design goals.

uhlik wrote:
The game feels almost like some kind of "proof of concept" for a planned bigger game. I can imagine a deck of lets say 50 cards, full of interconnecting puzzles, with cards switching places, flipping them, cutting, glueing, making notes... like an old PC advanture game in a deck of cards.
You and Christopher had very similar impressions of this game! I find that fascinating. I really like the idea of building on this system! I would love to see story-heavy legacy pocket games!

Thanks for your virtual playtest and great feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
What if u made the garden about pruning leaves and petals and make it a puzzle to prune the fewest possible leaves and petals to satisfy the requirements.
Interesting! So it would be an actual gardening activity (pruning), but it would have that puzzle element to it. I'll consider it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Development Update 2-24-2019: [WIP] Sunrise in Moloka'i
Aloha islanders!

It's been a crazy week, but I've finally finished my next draft of Sunrise in Moloka'i, and I have the new card file up. I've changed Bug Hunt and Garden Surprise to the best of my ability with the prototype art. With time running short I think I'll have to run with this design while creating my final artwork. If there's anything egregious you see, let me know; I've got my work cut out for me to have everything done this week, so we'll see how it turns out.

In the meantime, happy playing!

EDIT: I've been going with March 3 as the deadline for having contest-ready card files. I'm wondering now if that deadline is correct. If I do have more time, then I'll probably take some extra time to troubleshoot Garden Surprise, writing a developer diary-style entry to document the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well folks, I finally got to sit down with my drawing app and work out an acceptable logo.

Fun fact about Moloka'i: it has the highest sea cliffs in the world! I tried to capture a little of that with this artwork. [Edit: I needed to lighten up the logo a bit. I re-uploaded and updated all sources. Phew!]

I may not get all the art done by the 3rd like I hoped. In the toss-up between life and contest, for better or worse, life usually wins. But I'll be working hard to get the art done over the weekend, when I have a lot more time in my schedule!

In the meantime, enjoy the seascape...and happy playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Development Update 3-1-2019: Rules!
Rulebook is up!

It's not necessary to play the game, but it offers important clarification on some points. Basically, it's there if you want it, and ignorable if you don't.

Now there's nothing to work on but the final art! I should have more to show on Saturday. Aloha!

Fun fact: in Hawaiian, "aloha" can mean either "hello," "goodbye," or "I love you." I'm using it here in the farewell sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Skevington-Carter
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed this last week and have just had an enjoyable hour playing on a very wet and windy Sunday morning. Being transported to a sunny island was a great distraction and I really enjoyed the short stories of each character.

Chapter 1 felt very luck driven; my cards were slightly misaligned, but I don't think it would have made any difference to my resulting catch (2 fish, but from the open and deep sea for a total of $150).

Chapter 2 then felt totally the opposite - very quick and impossible to miss those bugs...or so I thought! Patches missed one bug One grammar point on Chapter 2 p. 2 - Patches' not Patches's would be more conventional use of apostrophe for possession.

My favourite was chapter 3 as I spent a fair time puzzling the constellations until they would all fit! This was where I felt I actually had complete control over the outcome and was determined it wouldn't beat me.

I also quite enjoyed Chapter 4 - it was quite relaxing, after the concentration of chapter 3, to trace outlines. I didn't like the double negatives used in the instructions and would change it to: "A flower will become damaged if it has - any green inside the shape; any white outside the shape; a noncontinuous pen line outlining the shape." I planted 5 flowers successfully, finding the top flowers trickier than the bottom ones.

Chapter 5 felt like an anticlimax - just totalling points didn't fit with the puzzles of the other chapters, but was needed to complete the overall story. Would there be a way to use the points from the 4 previous chapters in a mathematical formula of some kind to include a puzzle here rather than just totalling them? I don't know if it would create enough or too much variability, but in a legacy game that is only played once it might not matter.

I loved how the epilogue brought all of your outcomes together to complete the story.

I had a read through the rules you posted yesterday, but (as you say) they don't really add anything; I think the simplicity of the 9 cards stands by itself in a positive light and might even go so far as to say the only thing the rules added was the importance of aligning fronts and backs carefully.

This is a very different entry to any others I've played in the contest or seen elsewhere. Thank you for creating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Development Update 3-3-2019: Final Version
And the final version is up! I had to make some rush adjustments, but the final art is all complete and ready to go!

Now to see if I can patch together my latest Labyrinth Runner prototype...

Enjoy, everyone!

EDIT: I've just had the deadlines clarified for me, and it's such a relief to know I can make changes until the March 31 deadline! I would like to make a few more changes to the cards if I have time, including some quick fixes I missed in my blitz for the finish line. But wow, I'm so glad I have time both for fixes and for playtesting. Thanks to C L (GreenTea532) for the heads-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cattarn wrote:
Printed this last week and have just had an enjoyable hour playing on a very wet and windy Sunday morning. Being transported to a sunny island was a great distraction and I really enjoyed the short stories of each character.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I like story in my games as well.

cattarn wrote:
Chapter 1 felt very luck driven; my cards were slightly misaligned, but I don't think it would have made any difference to my resulting catch (2 fish, but from the open and deep sea for a total of $150).
You're right, it is very luck-driven. I'm so glad I got your feedback on this! It confirmed some suspicions I had regarding the game. I've now increased the size of the fish and upped the number slightly.

cattarn wrote:
Chapter 2 then felt totally the opposite - very quick and impossible to miss those bugs...or so I thought! Patches missed one bug One grammar point on Chapter 2 p. 2 - Patches' not Patches's would be more conventional use of apostrophe for possession.
Excellent, a Bug Hunt comment! Yes, I originally had grand plans for this activity and realized they might be a bit too gross (realistic depictions of bugs hiding in a house, anyone? I thought not), so this is my current compromise. It probably won't change much, but now I have some more time I plan on giving this game a facelift. Thanks for the grammar catch, I think that single-s convention reads better.

cattarn wrote:
My favourite was chapter 3 as I spent a fair time puzzling the constellations until they would all fit! This was where I felt I actually had complete control over the outcome and was determined it wouldn't beat me.
Great to hear you really enjoyed Chapter 3 and got to take control of the challenge. At first I was worried about the constellations being obvious, but when I composed the image I liked how well they resembled a starry sky.

cattarn wrote:
I also quite enjoyed Chapter 4 - it was quite relaxing, after the concentration of chapter 3, to trace outlines. I didn't like the double negatives used in the instructions and would change it to: "A flower will become damaged if it has - any green inside the shape; any white outside the shape; a noncontinuous pen line outlining the shape." I planted 5 flowers successfully, finding the top flowers trickier than the bottom ones.
Your playtest feedback had been very valuable as an alternate perspective! Yes, I enjoy this chapter as well, but I am trying to mature this concept into a game about tracing common Hawaiian garden flowers. The latest version has way too thin of lines, but I'll be thickening them for the next draft. I'd love for you to playtest this chapter again once I do so!

cattarn wrote:
Chapter 5 felt like an anticlimax - just totalling points didn't fit with the puzzles of the other chapters, but was needed to complete the overall story. Would there be a way to use the points from the 4 previous chapters in a mathematical formula of some kind to include a puzzle here rather than just totalling them? I don't know if it would create enough or too much variability, but in a legacy game that is only played once it might not matter.
Hm, this is an interesting idea! I didn't think of turning the final summative chapter into a puzzle. I'll see if I can come up with something very light and casual to make the scorekeeping a bit more fun.

cattarn wrote:
I loved how the epilogue brought all of your outcomes together to complete the story.
Thank you! It's called an epilogue, but it really is the capstone that everything else is working toward. I'm glad you found it rewarding!

cattarn wrote:
I had a read through the rules you posted yesterday, but (as you say) they don't really add anything; I think the simplicity of the 9 cards stands by itself in a positive light and might even go so far as to say the only thing the rules added was the importance of aligning fronts and backs carefully.
Great, that's just as intended. I may try to communicate that idea clearly somewhere in the rules.

cattarn wrote:
This is a very different entry to any others I've played in the contest or seen elsewhere. Thank you for creating it.
It's an honor (there's my American English showing) and a pleasure. Thanks so much for playtesting it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Skevington-Carter
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad my feedback was useful. I'll keep an eye out for an update to the 4th chapter and am happy to try it again with the next art iteration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Night Fishing
I've been having so much fun with the artwork for this game! I'm very pleased, it's challenged and grown my ability to create full compositions. They end up getting cropped for the cards, but here's one of my favorites in full:

Fun fact about me: I have zero experience with commercial fishing on Moloka'i, so any locals please forgive me if I got this wrong!

I'm working on the final panel for version 1.3, a drawing of the Chapter 2 House Card (no icons!). The panel is a bit imposing to me, but now I have time I want to make all the game artwork as original as I can.

I also realized that I don't have to intend to win a category to apply for it. I know some amazing art has already been made for this contest (I'm looking at you, Tomas!), but I'd like to see how far my art can place. It's more an acknowledgement of intention and effort than a desire to win the category (though top 10 would be nice).

So I'll aim to have v1.3 out in the next couple of days, end of the week at most. Thanks again everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Onthewayover wrote:
I've been having so much fun with the artwork for this game! I'm very pleased, it's challenged and grown my ability to create full compositions. They end up getting cropped for the cards, but here's one of my favorites in full:

Fun fact about me: I have zero experience with commercial fishing on Moloka'i, so any locals please forgive me if I got this wrong!

I'm working on the final panel for version 1.3, a drawing of the Chapter 2 House Card (no icons!). The panel is a bit imposing to me, but now I have time I want to make all the game artwork as original as I can.

I also realized that I don't have to intend to win a category to apply for it. I know some amazing art has already been made for this contest (I'm looking at you, Tomas!), but I'd like to see how far my art can place. It's more an acknowledgement of intention and effort than a desire to win the category (though top 10 would be nice).

So I'll aim to have v1.3 out in the next couple of days, end of the week at most. Thanks again everybody!
I like it very much, well done.

Did you draw it by hand or on a computer? I would guess it was a combination.
I would add a bit more light because otherwise it might turn out too dark and flat after printing. What about some reflections from the moon on the boat?

Actually, that's what I like about this contest, that it always pushes you further than you would usually go. I am an amateur graphic designer myself but I always learn some new technique or find a new function in a program I use...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Aw, thank you!

I used a baseline Wacom Intuos drawing tablet with Krita, a freeware art program, drawing on my laptop. My laptop shows everything as lighter than it really is even on the darkest setting. So I often have to make things lighter than looks right, judging it by eye, and when laying it out in MS Word I often do image correction to make it lighter still.

I do have some highlights on the boat, and they show beautifully on my laptop haha. I'll see if I can fix that, maybe even make them stronger. Thanks for the critique!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Development Update 3-11-2019: Cards v1.3
Hello everyone,

As the week begins, I took advantage of some off time to polish up the art on Sunrise in Moloka'i! You'll see a couple of prominent changes:

1. I updated the House Card to use all original artwork. Now the art style includes both images and shadows, along with some varying shading methods. But the bug, I find, is still quite easy to see in most cases.

2. I gave the Garden Card a facelift. Now, the flowers are based on real flowers common in Hawaii, and hopefully the shapes are a little more varied and complex (but still traceable!).

3. On the Sea Card, I toned down the difficulty by making a couple of the fishing spots bigger, placing at least 2 fish in each spot instead of at least 1, and adding 2 more fish (1 more in the Open Sea, 1 more in the Deep Sea). Also, I made the alignment of the fish to the fishing spots exact, whereas last time I approximated as a time-saving measure.

4. I did a little image correction on some of the card art, nothing fancy but hopefully enough to compensate for the Curse of Darkness that seems to follow the works of this laptop!

So please check out the new file, play it if you like, and let me know: still too dark? Is Bug Hunt more satisfying, less so, or no real difference? How does the new Garden Card play?

Thanks so much for all your valuable feedback! Happy playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |