Jakub Łapot
Poland
Katowice
Silesia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb


Join Col. Percy Fawcett on his expedition to find the Lost City of Z!

A weird dream troubled me today, and its timing is what confuses me the most. We’ve just left the Cuiabá streets, fully stocked and ready to go through the jungle. It’s been over a month of preparation, double checking all of the necessities. We’ve entered the wilderness and moved forward to the first tribe’s location. We will travel through the first river today. Everything goes according to plan, everything seems to be fine. So why should I be worried about such a ‘warning’?

https://mysterytales.portalgames.pl/warning/

---

Did you see our vlog? http://bit.ly/PortalGamesYT
Tweet at us! http://bit.ly/Trzewik
Check out our FB: https://www.facebook.com/portalpublishing/
Visit our website: https://portalgames.pl/en/
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"The dream started with me noticing a big snake in the middle of our camp, the size of which I’ve never seen before!"

OMG, the writing in this is hilariously bad in punctuation, grammar and just odd construction. Is this from the final product?

It's sort of like Speed Racer English.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to see what the full release of Mystery Tales is like, before jumping on the erectile five-edit naysayer train.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Valgar wrote:
I'm going to see what the full release of Mystery Tales is like, before jumping on the erectile five-edit naysayer train.
Well that sentence makes as much sense to me as did the one quoted by lancemoody
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply, let's give them chance to shine before tearing them down too much.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, their English is waaaaaaaay better than my Polish, so who am I to criticise? Nevertheless, Potal Games' rulebooks are, in my experience, terrible and it's not entirely down to language challenges.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Well, their English is waaaaaaaay better than my Polish, so who am I to criticise? Nevertheless, Potal Games' rulebooks are, in my experience, terrible and it's not entirely down to language challenges.
Mine, too, although I'm not publishing a game in Polish, either
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Massing
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great that we're getting this story to promote the expansion and that it's broken into installments to tease us. It also shows a real passion for the product, like Ignacy's interviews. The storytelling and grammar aren't great but they're decent and I think they do a pretty good job of imitating the writing of the era in which events take place.

I am positive this expansion is going to be awesome and this effort on Portals part only makes me want it more.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Moody
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they do a brilliant job on game designs. The past has shown them to be woefully cheap or lazy or inept at English translations.

Spend $3 and buy First Martians to see what I mean.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Massing
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty happy with the English in Robinson Crusoe (I've got maybe the second most recent edition?), but the organization of the rulebook drives me nuts. They improved it greatly with the latest edition, so that's where my faith comes from.

And I wouldn't trade my ravishing hurricane for the world!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
Gronkul the Innocent
badge
Bigger than Gloomhaven
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilestoad17 wrote:
I think it's great that we're getting this story to promote the expansion and that it's broken into installments to tease us. It also shows a real passion for the product, like Ignacy's interviews. The storytelling and grammar aren't great but they're decent and I think they do a pretty good job of imitating the writing of the era in which events take place.

I am positive this expansion is going to be awesome and this effort on Portals part only makes me want it more.
Poor translation shows an absolute lack of passion for sharing the game globally. The US gaming market is massive. I have been a huge supporter of Cry Havoc and Robinson (also pre-ordered Tales), but publishers are not granted immunity from professional native proofing of language dependant content. For example, I really enjoy Near and Far, but needing to translate for kids to read the passages has been a chore. This alone has kept it off the table as often as I would like.

To be clear, this is my opinion regarding publishers responsibilities in general and may or may not reflect the finished product of Mystery Tales.....fingers crossed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls