Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is how I think it works.

1. Stack gets 3 chips and play stops.
2. Flip stack over and resolve cogs.
3. CLAWS Engineer is in the stack
4. You take the spoil of the current city.
5. You take the top cog of your available cogs (any available cog if you have 5 Codex)
6. Place that cog under any current cog on the board (I would assume the city you are currently resolving is not a possibility)
7. The cog either goes under 1 cog and is on the bottom of a stack or is put in a sandwich between two other cogs. You cannot put the cog on an empty city.

So my questions here are.

1. If the cog is put as the 3rd cog in another stack do you stop the current resolution of the previous cog stack and resolve this new stack that has 3 cogs? We played last night where this was important in the way certain things were going to resolve.

2. If you currently do not have any available cogs to place do you have to skip the engineers ability? Since you do not reshuffle your discard until the stack is completed.

Based on how these are answered there might be follow up points too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your step-by-step is correct.

1. You have to finished your current stack resolution and then resolve the new 3-chips stack.

2. Correct, you loose the benefit of your bonus action in this case.

Antoine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Cambiaghi
Italy
Villasanta
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
5. You take the top cog of your available cogs (any available cog if you have 5 Codex)
Is this to be intended “5 books of codex” (regardless of the values) or a total of 5 points in the codex library?
Thanks
f

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 pieces not 5 value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Watson
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My group read it as you move the engineer underneath another cog. So this is wrong?After reading this post, I went back and re-read the crawler's engineer ability, and it still sounded to me like you move the engineer. It did seem kinda broken that way. It made the engineer for this character way overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Cwatson79 wrote:
My group read it as you move the engineer underneath another cog. So this is wrong?After reading this post, I went back and re-read the crawler's engineer ability, and it still sounded to me like you move the engineer. It did seem kinda broken that way. It made the engineer for this character way overpowered.
It says "agent", not engineer specifically. I think it could've definitely been worded better though. Something like "Take your next agent from your stack and ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
Cwatson79 wrote:
It says "agent", not engineer specifically. I think it could've definitely been worded better though. Something like "Take your next agent from your stack and ..."
Agreed. We initially thought it was the engineer that was refered to ourselves.
... but the resulting game was so unbalanced it was not even funny. As she got the upgrades, not only did she get crazy firepower from her engineer, as he cycled just about every turn, she also got a crazy bunch of points token. She finished with something like 16 points ahead of everyone else.

This resulted in her getting tons of buildings (and therefore preventing anyone else from getting them) and point tokens.

What i thought is that there is no way that he is intended to cycle so fast. Looks like i was right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw...

The game is really great. My favorite game (and i played thousands) is Takenoko and i already got the giant...
This to me, feels like the same exact type of game and i love it. 5 abilities and make what you can with them and every single one of them feels important and not to be neglected.
Where in other heavier games, you get something like 18 different actions, and after a game or two, you find your playstyle and can safely ignore half the game, which serves no purpose.

Deux pouces levés bien haut mr. Bauza!

Ceci dit,
I got the english rulebook and i thought it read ok (i've certainly read far worse). However, i think it is missing a single page: a reference to explain the cards (a single phrase or two for each of the card) and a phrase or two to explain each machine's abilities with a bit more detail.
I think so far that all questions about the game come from that missing reference page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Watson
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Yeah, we had the same problem. That's why I came hunting for an answer. It just didnt feel right. ESPECIALLY the end game. She had her engineer at the top location at the end of the game. So, she during the endgame when you resolve all the cogs on the board. She got to keep moving her engineer to the next city, all the way down the board, getting each city's reward. Needless to say, she won.. but I knew this just didnt feel right. If it was, it meant the game was INCREDIBLY broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Watson
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
And yes, this game is great! But the rulebook is very lacking. And I agree, there should be some kind of reference cards for everyone to explain all abilities, and what you get-where, etc... this should just be common practice in any game really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So someone mentioned this in another thread, but the example text under Engineer on page 11 actually states for CLAWS that it’s the next Agent in the stack, not the engineer itself. Good to have it in there, but simply in example text is poor rulebook writing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Doyle
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stryyder wrote:
So someone mentioned this in another thread, but the example text under Engineer on page 11 actually states for CLAWS that it’s the next Agent in the stack, not the engineer itself. Good to have it in there, but simply in example text is poor rulebook writing.
If I understand this correctly, then when the engineer is resolved, you get to deploy ANOTHER agent RIGHT AWAY under the top agent in another city. The agent you get to deploy is the next agent in your stack or via your normal ability if you've got over 5 volumes in the library or have a scientists that you can use to recover one from the discard, etc. The engineer gets discarded as usual afterwards. I presume you can't discard the engineer, then recover him from the discard with a scientist and use him to deploy under another agent, since the engineer is "busy" being resolved at that point.

So that means that essentially, the engineer gets an extra turn every time it's deployed, providing there are agents in other cities that you can deploy under.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouyan A.
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Zebo wrote:
Stryyder wrote:
If I understand this correctly, then when the engineer is resolved, you get to deploy ANOTHER agent RIGHT AWAY under the top agent in another city. The agent you get to deploy is the next agent in your stack or via your normal ability if you've got over 5 volumes in the library or have a scientists that you can use to recover one from the discard, etc. The engineer gets discarded as usual afterwards. I presume you can't discard the engineer, then recover him from the discard with a scientist and use him to deploy under another agent, since the engineer is "busy" being resolved at that point.

So that means that essentially, the engineer gets an extra turn every time it's deployed, providing there are agents in other cities that you can deploy under.
The 1-scientist special action has to be in lieu of your normal turn. Therefore, it's not valid move as part of the CLAWS engineer's special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calidoggg wrote:
Zebo wrote:
Stryyder wrote:

The 1-scientist special action has to be in lieu of your normal turn. Therefore, it's not valid move as part of the CLAWS engineer's special ability.
Yeah, Scientist ability #1 specifically has to be done at the beginning of your turn, before you play your agent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls