Hans Maiser
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
Hi,
my friends and I got a copy of StarCraft the Board game and it’s Broodwar Expansion via eBay for a reasonable Price. Phew, finally we can play the game.

We did ~10 rounds since January with a player count from 2-5, what an epic game this is. laugh

While playing we collected a few questions, nobody found an answer for.
Not in this GREAT forum, not in the FAQs and not in the Rulebook.
Please excuse me, if we missed something.

The Questions are:

1. Scourges work different in BW, is the sacrifice damage pushed with support units?
If yes, only Air support units, or ground Units like a Zergling, too.
The Scourges would easily get 10 Damage output, with a Hydra as supporting unit, that’s seems quite OP.

2. The next questions is about the Strategic Areas, let’s say “player a” has a base at a strategic area, and some orders stacked as well.
“Player b” comes into the area and kills player a’s defenses.
Are the orders from “player a” still special orders, until the base is destroyed in the reorganization phase?
Let’s say, “player b” has some orders there as well, are this players orders now special as well?
Or are all orders only normal orders until the base is destroyed in the reorganization phase?

3. The third question is about cloaking.
Let’s say, there is a Wraith as FLU and a BC as support.
They fight against a scourge with 9 dmg.
The wraith uses Cloaking and retreats after the skirmish. Is the Damage going through to the BC now?

4. The next question is about the Hero Jim Raynor. In the description it says, that he supports every skirmish in an area where he is with 1 attack. Is this support against air units, too?
Normally vultures only attack ground units.

I hope you understand my questions; English is not my mother tongue.

Thank you all very much, we found many answers within this forum and the StarCraft download section is pure gold for the game. THANK YOU!

I hope that, we can become clear with these questions, it would be highly appreciated.

Have a nice remaining week.
Best wishes
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BalkothBhaal wrote:
Hi,
my friends and I got a copy of StarCraft the Board game and it’s Broodwar Expansion via eBay for a reasonable Price. Phew, finally we can play the game.
great!
BalkothBhaal wrote:

1. Scourges work different in BW, is the sacrifice damage pushed with support units?
If yes, only Air support units, or ground Units like a Zergling, too.
The Scourges would easily get 10 Damage output, with a Hydra as supporting unit, that’s seems quite OP.
The rules are not altered via the sacrifice ability. Supporting units still add to the overall strength of your Scourge FLU, but only if the supporting units are able to attack the opposing FLU.
BalkothBhaal wrote:

2. The next questions is about the Strategic Areas, let’s say “player a” has a base at a strategic area, and some orders stacked as well.
“Player b” comes into the area and kills player a’s defenses.
Are the orders from “player a” still special orders, until the base is destroyed in the reorganization phase?
Let’s say, “player b” has some orders there as well, are this players orders now special as well?
Or are all orders only normal orders until the base is destroyed in the reorganization phase?
That is a tricky question.
The ability of strategic areas is linked on the status of control of the area, and "control" is never really specified. Since the area contains both enemy and friendly units/bases, it is not a "friendly area" to any player. So they do not automatically control it. However, the rules say
"Enemy Area: An area that contains one or more
units or bases belonging to another player. (Such an
area is controlled by that opposing player.)"
But this is true for both players, so it is simultaneously controlled by both? Or simultaneously NOT controlled by both? I think the latter makes more sense.
BalkothBhaal wrote:

3. The third question is about cloaking.
Let’s say, there is a Wraith as FLU and a BC as support.
They fight against a scourge with 9 dmg.
The wraith uses Cloaking and retreats after the skirmish. Is the Damage going through to the BC now?
Cloaking does not mean the unit is not destroyed. It just means that IF it is destroyed, it is NOT removed from the board but withdraws. So everything that triggers on that event happens. The wraith is destroyed, the scourge is destroyed, the BC and the wraith lives.
BalkothBhaal wrote:

4. The next question is about the Hero Jim Raynor. In the description it says, that he supports every skirmish in an area where he is with 1 attack. Is this support against air units, too?
Normally vultures only attack ground units.
A hero is still the unit he represents. If it is a vulture it has the same attack capabilities and supports just as a regular vulture, with the difference that this bonus counts for every skirmish.
BalkothBhaal wrote:

Have a nice remaining week.
Best wishes
Tim
you too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Anduin wrote:
BalkothBhaal wrote:
let’s say “player a” has a base at a strategic area [...] “Player b” comes into the area and kills player a’s defenses. Are the orders [...] still special orders
That is a tricky question. The ability of strategic areas is linked on the status of control of the area, and "control" is never really specified.
Agree that the Friendly Area and Enemy Area rules on page 6 are inconsistent, but I have always played that such a contested area (base of one player, units of another) is neither friendly, enemy, nor controlled by any player. So any further order tokens would not benefit from the Strategic Area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Maiser
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
Thank you very much!
I guess everything is clarified now.
We will handle this area as not controlled by anyone until the next round.

The Scourge is quite strong in Broodwar, we have to find a good strategy against them, but that’s a thing for all the games that will follow.

Have a nice evening, night, or day, wherever you are right now.
Best wishes
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BalkothBhaal wrote:

The Scourge is quite strong in Broodwar, we have to find a good strategy against them, but that’s a thing for all the games that will follow.
yes they are. And they are quite good in the video game as well.
It gets quite interesting when you pair a scourge with a weak ground unit of your opponent (a zealot for example). Then if the zealot gets a strong flying support unit, like a carrier, the scourge kills the carrier while only has to match the zealots health.
pretty weird and sneaky, but legal. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have to correct my previous statement about your third question.
Apparently according to the FAQ/Errata, the sacrifice ability is ignored if the opposing unit has cloaking.
Edit: to clarify - as I understand the rules - in this scenario, everything survives, since the scourge's sacrifice ability is ignored, the wraith withdraws and the BC just stands there (no damage is passed through since the scourge was able to attack the wraith)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls