Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Herdman
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
Here is the funny backstory:

We played the game for the very first time, and we used all of the expansions. I passed by another player and gave him the Black Spot souvenir and tried to make a break for it as I was "Amazingly Agile." The one extra move placed me on the Helipad. I only had two snapshots anyway, so no end game triggering could take place on my turn. Another player's turn came up. He was two spaces away from the Helipad, and he had three snapshots. We ended up ruling that he could not trigger the End Game because he could not "Enter the Helipad" space, since my character was there. Also, there were only three Fireballs in the Scar, so the End Game was not triggered as a result of Cataclysms.

1. Were we correct in that he could not trigger the End Game because he could not enter the Helipad that turn?

2. From reading the rules, if the End Game was already triggered, he could have skipped the Helipad space and simply jumped into the Hello-Copter. Would he have been able to skip the Helipad space and jumped into the Hello-Copter since he had three snapshots (again, there were only three Fireballs in the Scar at this point).

3. I don't have the rules in front of me at the moment, but if the End Game had already been triggered (lets say by having 4 Fireballs in the Scar), then there is no way to block entry to the Hello-Copter at that point by sitting on the Helipad, correct?

In the end, he still won. It was not my intention to block him. I just needed to get away from the guy who I gave the Black Spot to, and I used my amazing agility power to do it! Also, I ended up with the Black Spot anyway during the last two turns sequence; karma is a wonderful thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin can make the ruling

But it appears a player with three snapshots must to stop/be on the Helipad for the end game to trigger.

Copy/Pasted from the rulebook (my bold for emphasis)

If a player enters the helipad space while carrying at least three different colored snapshots OR the Scar has four marbles in it at the end of the turn, the Hello-copter returns and players may climb aboard!

Place the Hello-copter near the helipad. Players may enter the Hello-copter from the helipad (even if they don’t have three snapshots) and do not need to arrive by exact count (onto the Hello-copter - me). A player may enter the Hello-copter on the turn it appears if they have moves left.

Also so no one overlooks what you're talking about the basic rule of movement on any space during the game:

You can’t be on a space with another player. Instead, hop over (pass by) them into the next available space in the direction you were headed. You ignore any spaces you pass (for example, don’t take a snapshot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Correct.

2) Correct on the first half. The endgame is only triggered if you enter the helipad space with 3 snapshots (or via Cataclysm tracker), so he would not have been able to jump directly into the Hello-Copter since it isn't there yet.

3) Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
But it appears a player with three snapshots must to stop/be on the Helipad for the end game to trigger.
By RAW, a player with 3 snapshots does not need to stop on the helipad to trigger game end. A player triggers game end even just by entering the space and passing through. Of course, a player cannot enter the space if another player is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Collection 1138 wrote:
By RAW, a player with 3 snapshots does not need to stop on the helipad to trigger game end. A player triggers game end even just by entering the space and passing through. Of course, a player cannot enter the space if another player is there.
That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
Collection 1138 wrote:
True. If a player "enters" the helipad space while carrying at least three different colored snapshots. So to your point RAW (Rules as Written) "enters" is different than "stops". And I knew that I just got confused by the wording.

It makes the Treasure Trove Hangry Souvenir Helipad card interesting:

Play when someone moves onto the helipad

That player stops moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
Carcking wrote:
Collection 1138 wrote:
True. If a player enters the helipad space while carrying at least three different colored snapshots. So to your point RAW (Rules as Written) "enters" is different than "stops".

It makes the Treasure Trove Hangry Souvenir Helipad card interesting:

Play when someone moves onto the helipad

That player stops moving.
Not sure I"m following. You have to enter the space to stop on it. Even if a player is stopped with that hangry card on the helipad they have still triggered the end game. Or are you just referring to the effect of not being able to enter the hello-copter on that same turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collector THX1138
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I was editing it to clarify that. But you posted your assessment first

I was referring to the effect of not being able to enter the hello-copter on that same turn.

Which would mean you might not be the first to get onto it. Or not at all to finish your game. Depending on when it's played. Either way you lose out on some points. I like that card to play on an opponent aka former friend at that point if I have it ninja

It reminds me of the old Twix candy commercial "None for You!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
...I like that card to play on an opponent aka former friend at that point if I have it ninja
Haha! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hands-down the nastiest card in the game. Second is Vuvuzela.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Q1 from the OP is actually incorrect?

"1) Were we correct in that he could not trigger the End Game because he could not enter the Helipad that turn?"

I think the OP was asking if a player can prevent end game from triggering in that situation by standing on the Helipad, preventing the next player with 3 snapshots from "entering" the Helipad. But it was later pointed out in this thread that someone with 3 snapshots can move past the Helipad, even if there's another character standing on it, and still trigger the end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:

"1) Were we correct in that he could not trigger the End Game because he could not enter the Helipad that turn?"

I think the OP was asking if a player can prevent end game from triggering in that situation by standing on the Helipad, preventing the next player with 3 snapshots from "entering" the Helipad. But it was later pointed out in this thread that someone with 3 snapshots can move past the Helipad, even if there's another character standing on it, and still trigger the end game.
No. If you jump over an occupied space, you do not interact with that space in any way. You can only trigger the endgame by entering the helipad space with three snapshots. Since you ignore the occupied helipad, you never enter it, and never trigger the endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Herdman
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
JustinDJacobson wrote:
randomlife wrote:

No. If you jump over an occupied space, you do not interact with that space in any way. You can only trigger the endgame by entering the helipad space with three snapshots. Since you ignore the occupied helipad, you never enter it, and never trigger the endgame.
Justin, thank you for clarifying everything on this topic! I'm definitely glad we made the right call during the game and interpreted the situation correctly. It definitely caused a wacky and exciting ending!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls