Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NO RETREAT! NO EVENT CARDS!

Some players commented to me that they do not like much the "variability" of the event cards, and that it does not help solitaire play.

OK... Do know that the first incarnation of the game, the "proof-of-oncept" version of No Retreat! done in 2007, did not use any event cards. So the game can indeed work pretty well without them.

Use these rules:

- Still use a 4 card hand for the Germans and Soviets, but disegard ALL the events printed on the cards. The Cards can just be used for their discard ability (but see blow), alternatively you can use the control makers in the gAME instead of the cards, there is plenty of them. Same "hand" limit (6 cards/markers).

- Give TWO bonus cards to the Soviets on the Nov/Dec Turn of each year.

- Use Historical Weather, so no weather instructions on the cards are followed, of course.

- You can discard ONE card/marker per combat to give your side a ONE bonus shift on the CRT (attacking or defending) if the Initiative symbol on the card is correct and makes the card playable for the event, like in the regular rules :

Red Star= Playable if the Soviets have the Initiative.
German Cross= Playable if the Germans have the Initiative.
None=playable anytime.

Non-Initiative player goes first for this; you cannot use a card if all your involved units are “Out of Supply”.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're fantastic.

They make it a game without perfect information.
They contribute to the theme.
They put less chrome in the rule book.
They contain important features, like siege guns and bonus surprise movement for the Germans or accelerated reinforcements for the Russians.

That said, I always do use historical weather. Early winter can snowball the German game. Late winter can snowball the Russian game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
I think they're fantastic.

They make it a game without perfect information.
They contribute to the theme.
They put less chrome in the rule book.
They contain important features, like siege guns and bonus surprise movement for the Germans or accelerated reinforcements for the Russians.

That said, I always do use historical weather. Early winter can snowball the German game. Late winter can snowball the Russian game.
I do use the Historical weather also. In fect in the VPG edition of the game Variable weather WAS the oprional rule.

I also do prefer the game with the Event cards, but they make a Vassal games difficult if you are not "live" with your opponent.

Mind you, when I solitaire my game, I just put all the cards visible and make my moves with full knowledge of the event cards. Works well also.

But some gamers do prefer to play without the Events, they find just the die roll variability enough.

For me the Event Cards are just plain fun, they help the narrative a lot, and give more historical background to the game. I have refined this concept with Absolute War!: The Attack on Russia 1941-45: in that game I also have two sets of rules, a regular one, and a basic one where you don't use the events on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you said makes sense.

Since I always play face-to-face, I'm fortunate enough not to deal with the inconvenience Vassal and others inject. Card play can stymie a well planned attack or punch a hole in one's defense unexpectedly, but that's part of the fun. And besides, turnabout is fair play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players who dislike the cards have thousands of cardless wargames to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Players who dislike the cards have thousands of cardless wargames to choose from.
Right. But if I can accomodate a few die-hards, then it is time well spent. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Cracky wrote:
Right. But if I can accomodate a few die-hards, then it is time well spent. meeple
Good point. Let everybody play the way that suits them.

I've been playing NR:RF for about six years, have 20ish plays done and still love the game. Thanks for a great game and awesome post-release support, Carl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:

I've been playing NR:RF for about six years, have 20ish plays done and still love the game. Thanks for a great game and awesome post-release support, Carl!
Wow, 20 plays... It is way more than me! blush

I hope that you'll like (and support!) my future releases. I will probably retire very soon (and early) from my "real world" job: more time for my Hobbies, and that includes game design, of course. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them are plays of the scenarios. I've mentioned before that I like them because they're playable in one, and in some cases, two sessions - and you can sample any phase of the conflict. I've only run through the campaign 3 times.

I have NR:IF. Only played Sicily scenario a few times. I'm anxious to play more. I even have others in my area who are as well. The two barriers have the uptick in complexity and the desire to play more RF.

I'm eyeballing your latest release, Polish/French Fronts. I am already sold on Western Front. Can't wait for that one to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
I am already sold on Western Front. Can't wait for that one to come out.
West Front = Next year... arrrh

Right now I am busy with Absolute War!: The Attack on Russia 1941-45.

Cool you should mention the scenarios. Personally, even if I have put lots of them in the game, I don't like playing scenarios, only the "real thing", and that goes for most of the games I own. BUT most scenarios in NR that are indeed quite nice, and play quickly. meeple

Say, have you ever tried the two NR1 mini-games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stevens
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, Carl is awesome. To want to provide options for us is cool. We appreciate it.

I started with a mini-game; Moscow. It helped me get the mechanics under control. It was fun.

Playing the campaign now. I rarely play scenarios unless it comes down to map size. My tables aren’t huge so for some games, a single map helps.

With NRTRF, there’s no issue so it’s campaign all the way. I’ve always liked the “point of the game”. Fortunately, I can leave it set up I disturbed.

But to each his/her own. Games should be fun and played as you like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t! George S. Patton
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

I hope that you'll like (and support!) my future releases. I will probably retire very soon (and early) from my "real world" job: more time for my Hobbies, and that includes game design, of course. meeple
Music to my ears!cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls