Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurice Buttazoni
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd like confirmation on the following statements:

Assume Germany, USA, and UK are belligerent. Germany controls Brittany. US and UK are allied and control all their Home and Colony areas.

US or UK can Patrol* American East Coast, Arctic Ocean, Norwegian Sea, North Sea, Western Approaches (and more) but NOT North Atlantic Ocean.

German subs can Patrol all the above Sea areas (including North Atlantic Ocean) EXCEPT American East Coast.

All movement to these Sea Areas are done through Deployment with the caveat that to Patrol the Sea area it cannot be occupied by an enemy unit already on Patrol. Once a unit is on Patrol it can stay there indefinitely. The only way to force a unit out is to conduct a (successful) Naval Operation in the Sea Area.

Therefore the only way for German subs to block LOC from US to Europe is to beat the UK or US to the appropriate Sea Areas. Once the subs are there the Allies can conduct a Naval Operation to clear the subs out, then one of the Naval units can stay on Patrol in the cleared Sea area indefinitely. (and also indefinitely blocking German subs from coming back to harass LOCs)

Is this all accurate or have I missed something?

*I know its not defined in the rules but assume a "Patrol" is when belligerent Naval (or Strategic Air) units occupy Sea Areas adjacent to a friendly port (or airfield).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all accurate as far as I can see.

You don't win the War in the Atlantic by destroying fleets. You win by stretching those fleets so they can't cover everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but note that if the Allies have all those areas in the Atlantic covered, they will likely be short on ships to take back the Med (assuming the Italians are blockading that) and also short on ships to defend the UK from Sea Lion.

Subs built by the Germans will sometimes blockade the UK, but often they will be used to force the UK and US to spend offensives attacking cheap and replaceable subs instead of offensives invading Europe or breaking the Med blockade.

And that 1% of the time that the subs achieve a triumph against a carrier fleet is pretty frickin awesome too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Buttazoni
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, it appears i'm actually learning the rules.

So it sounds like a viable strategy could be for the German subs to sit in port to force the Democracies to cover the North Atlantic and sortie out when the Allies are stretched to a point where they can't cover all their LOCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls