Subject: What do you think of the investigators? Tarang especially? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To ease the wait until my goodies arrive, I figured I'd take a glance through the stuff, and was surprised to see that all the investigator loyalty cards are available for download from PG.

So looking at them as someone who's never played the game, they look like variations of the servitors and some of them look pretty brutal (others more like a mild inconvenience). However, one of them looks actually pretty damn useful to have, that would be Tarang.

A 1 combat unit that returns to the map (anywhere!) for free in the doom phase, runs away (AND takes all cultists with him) the moment an enemy GOO turns up in his area, and you even get to choose the target area (even if Madness is out, since it's not a retreat due to a pain result), on top of that (like all investigators) he ensures his controller can't be assigned another investigator.

Am I missing something? This guy sounds like a pretty good deal to assign to yourself, especially if there are other investigators around that could be inflicted on you!

Edit: OK, I forgot about the Traitor ability, which would allow an enemy to set you up a bit using Tarang to move your cultists away from a well-protected gate, but even so that would still take preparation, power and time, and you could always move him out of the way yourself if it looks like that's coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
mb
No cultists means no meatshields. Remember that everything dies in 1 hit. If you've got a cultist and your GOO in the same space when they're attacked, but the attacker only rolls 1 Kill, then you can knock off that cultist. Without him, the GOO will have to take the hit, slaying it. A cultist cost 1 power to bring back. A GOO? Typically around 10, give or take the hurdles to summon them. Having a meatshield, or even way too many, is worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Andersen

Michigan
msg tools
It makes it much easier to kick cultists off a gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
A 1 combat unit that returns to the map (anywhere!) for free in the doom phase, runs away (AND takes all cultists with him) the moment an enemy GOO turns up in his area, and you even get to choose the target area (even if Madness is out, since it's not a retreat due to a pain result), on top of that (like all investigators) he ensures his controller can't be assigned another investigator.
So, you move your GOO and a cultist into the area and get to take their gate because he ran away with their cultists? That seems pretty useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cindrew Putorius: I don't understand how this guy works. What I mean is, her ability inconveniences the owner just like other Investigators. But once killed and in the owner's pool, she no longer affects the owner. So why would any owner EVER feel compelled to recruit her again? This is unlike other Investigators, who have such a negative effect while in an owner's pool, that owner is motivated to recruit again in order to lessen the inconvenience.
Quote:
Short Attention Span (Ongoing): After taking any action that ends in Cindrew's Area, lay her on her side in that Area. Your next Action cannot end there. You may stand Cindrew up again after your next Action.
Unless... when units end up back in the owner's pool, that counts as an action that ends in Cindrew's Area???

Naomi Johnson: Seems to have no downside; prime candidate for taking her loyalty card for yourself so that no other player can gift you with anyone else. When in a battle, it seems the owner of the loyalty card assigns (1) Kill/Pain dice to her, rather than the player who recruited her for the battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mlai00 wrote:
Naomi Johnson: Seems to have no downside
Doesn't she have combat -3?

Cindrew, though, yeah, something's missing there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:
Mlai00 wrote:
Naomi Johnson: Seems to have no downside
Doesn't she have combat -3?
Oh yeah, oh I didn't see the minus sign.
Wait, but then why would the owner of the loyalty card ever recruit her from his Pool??
She can be recruited by anyone. But why would anyone?

EDIT: Oh I see, the trick is anyone can recruit her, but she would still belong to the owner of the card and give -3 to the owner of the card! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls