Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Gosalvez
Canada
Shefford
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys,

Would you recommend team play to teach the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught the game to a new player using team play. It was okay, he caught on fine, but I'd probably play the individual game first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Castellanos
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing to see here
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. Make sure you have all the rules down, we had some issues that lengthened the game.

Also, go with 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bbchat wrote:
Would you recommend team play to teach the game?
I would strongly advise against it. The team game is much more complex than the individual game. Not rules-wise. But to play it anywhere near sensibly, you have to consider almost twice as much as in the individual game. Which can easily be too much for new players and could thus needlessly leave a bad impression of a great game.

In case you missed it in Venus' rulebook (on p. 1): The official recommendation is also to play the individual game for your first game of Concordia. They obviously didn't put that in there for no reason.

I am definitely not going to play any team game of Concordia if there is even a single player at the table who has never played Concordia. Actually, I would rather recommend at least two individual games of each player before I would suggest the team game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is 2 experienced players & 2 inexperienced/new players at the table, a team play game is fine. Pair up an experienced player with a newbie. I have done this before and I thought it was a nice way to introduce the game to new players.

It may not be so great if it is any other combination of new/inexperienced player--then I would lean more towards individual game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamzimmer wrote:
If it is 2 experienced players & 2 inexperienced/new players at the table, a team play game is fine. Pair up an experienced player with a newbie. I have done this before and I thought it was a nice way to introduce the game to new players.
Personally I disagree - the partners have to be able to anticipate each other...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
the partners have to be able to anticipate each other...
I assumed that we are talking about playing a team game without any communication restrictions (as per p. 5 of Venus' rules) - which is by the way the manner in which I prefer to play the team game. I think that's a prerequisite to even consider playing the team game to teach the game. And that's what I already had in mind when still strongly advising against it.

To play a learning game with the other communication extreme (the Legatus being the only allowed means of communication) would sound like complete and utter madness to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
iamzimmer wrote:
Personally I disagree - the partners have to be able to anticipate each other...
Well yes, that is why it would be silly to play a team game where both players are inexperienced.

From my interpretation, the rules do not have a solid line on how much communication games should have, just suggestions. Sure, if I am playing with experienced players, communication off. But if you're playing a team game with newbies, I would assume that some communication should be fine. Not on the AP-inducing level of "I'm going to play Prefect, then you play Mercator, then I will do Architect, then..."
More like "Should I play Architect or Prefect"--an experienced player may be able to consider their play state and their partner's and not have to ask. New player though is still wrapping their head around just doing their own stuff, so that kind of occasional decision nudge to help a stuck new player seems like it would help everyone.

...that being said, would be good to consider how players would react to the game anyway. I am hesitant to throw down any 1+ hour partnership game with complete strangers. As you don't know exactly what your partner is going to play until they play it, play will be very tactical VS perfectly planned out. Some people are awful at that, which could make for a rough learning-team game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls