United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A thread on games that require apps prompted this, with the usual concern that if the app is no longer available/updated/whatever, the game is now unplayable. However, this thread just as much covers bg that don't require an app, and if you folks actually do end up playing them down the line. We're talking 5 years later, 10 years later. 20. 30.

I've seen both extremes. Both from people I've talked with IRL..
O1H, one guy has shared bg he played since the 70s with his grandchildren

OTOH, someone's grandkids are just simply more interested in other things. Fortnite, mobile games, reading, LEGOs, doing outdoor activities, etc., "obsolescence" wasn't an issue. Those bg might as well be "obsolete" since more modern bg fare would've had a better chance of getting played.

For me, even counting the "good games"... ones I didn't buy on impulse "just because", I've got too many, and my gaming groups / conventions I go to have enough of their own that I honestly could just "retire" many of them (or more practically, sell them). I so have a few choice games that will continue to get played for the longest time (e.g. Glory To Rome, Aquadukt), but otherwise, many of my other games really followed the "board games as a service" model where I felt like I was more so renting them than owning them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

All of them.

I keep the games I love to play, and my collection is large enough that I don't wind up playing any of them so frequently as to get sick of 'em. Other than the odd possible exceptions, all the games I have now I hope I'll be playing 20 years from now, too.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I went 15 years without gaming, but having rediscovered the hobby, one of the old games has been brought out of the packing case - Roborally with Armed & Dangerous, Crash & Burn, and Grand Prix expnasions (amusingly the latter still in shrink wrap).

I've caught up on the rules, so will look to get a game of it in the not too distant future. Other more 'party' games will probably end up being dumped. Dingbats already in the pile for our next visit to the tip, but I'm wavering on Masquerade, a simple charades game, but one we had a lot of enjoyment from back then.

I reckon there are a greater number of decent games around now, and a good number should be playable / enjoyable 12-20 years hence.

Regards
Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

All of them.

I keep the games I love to play, and my collection is large enough that I don't wind up playing any of them so frequently as to get sick of 'em. Other than the odd possible exceptions, all the games I have now I hope I'll be playing 20 years from now, too.

~V
This is exactly my approach to my game collection. I'm building a loose plan for the rest of my life. I regularly bust out games I haven't played for a decade, then put them away for another 10 years. I have games in my collection that I've had since I was a kid and others that have been in the family across multiple households.

The whole app thing doesn't play into that at all. I do get rid of games I don't see us ever playing again and sometimes games lose pieces or get damaged - it's no different to me of the "damage" is an unavailable app. If a game has an app and it's fun right now, we play it. If we break it out in five years and the app doesn't work any more, oh well. Considering the meticulous nature of the board game community I'll bet there's a proxy for the app available, and even if not that's why I have hundreds of other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least a quarter of the games collection have been played each year since I've been logging plays
The rest are more recent acquisitions

The only reason obsolescence isn't a concern is because I won't get games that have built-in obsolescence

Other things (including the large amount of LEGO) still only takes up part of the time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

All of them.

~V
I was going to say the same, but Veero said it better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Historic B
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mb
I play most of the games solo to get a grasp on the mechancis right from the bat. Then I store them once I get a chance to play them.

Thus far, it took me 2 and half years to actually play the DnD board game, Castle Ravenloft, with other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope all of them but mine is finding time and people to play.

I have a long list of unplayed games. When I started I bought a lot I would like or were on sale and had acceptable ratings/reviews. I did a good bit of impulse buying. I am more picky now. A lot I like no one else wants to play. My collection grew fast.

Now I am weeding out a lot that my family has outgrown and am playing through and keeping ones we will bring to the table.

I want games to come to the table even if it months between plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody here had the experience of playing a game that you played constantly 20+ years ago, and finding that you couldn't remember really basic things?

I was given a cribbage set recently. I haven't played cribbage in at least thirty years. I couldn't remember anything at all - I vaguely remember 15s being involved, but without finding and reading the rules, I have no idea.

I opened up my ancient backgammon set - 25 years ago a friend and I used to play backgammon for money 4-5 hours a night, every night, for two solid years. I played thousands of games, but now, it took me three or four tries to set up the pieces properly. Once I had done so I was able to play a bit above patzer level, but it was pretty embarrassing to not remember. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We often still get out really old games and give them a crack. Newer games tend to get played more as they are new and exciting but you never give up on the old favourites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls