Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Waddel
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most BBG'ers love Settlers of Catan, and I am no exception. The original game is AWESOME, with loads of fun for everyone. But, in our hectic world, do we really have time to sit down, shuffle all of those tiles and play a game for an hour? (Feel the snark?)

Well, feel bad no more. There is Catan: The Dice Game to the rescue! You can play a whole game of Catan in just a few minutes!

Ok, enough of the snarkyness. I will calm down now. On to the serious review.

Catan: The Dice Game is a good alternative to the actual game of Catan. It was really well implemented when I first bought the Deluxe Edition (with the faux leather finish!). I was surprised that they were able to cram all of the strategic nature of the actual board game into this simplified dice game!

A bit about how the game plays:
This game can be played solo, with two players, and/or with 3 players. There are two sides to the sheets: Green and Red. Red is the normal island, where you build as normal. You pick a starting location, and that is where you move from. Green is the "race" side. It is a race from one end of the island to the other, with the one getting the furthest winning.

How to play: the first player rolls the dice, and attempts to get the resources necessary to build a settlement, city or road. If you get 2 (or more) gold symbols, you can trade them in for a resource of your choosing. Since there are 6 dice, it is possible to get enough dice to make a few roads, a settlement or a city on the first turn. You can also buy "soldiers," which are the "pawn" symbols on the individual resource hexes. If you have a soldier on the resource tile, you can grab an extra resource from there. Then, after you finish building whatever you can, your opponent then rolls the dice and attempts to get the resources necessary to build. Do you see the boxes at the top right of the map? Those are the numbers of turns you get before the game is over. When you build a road, city. knight or settlement, you get a number of points (just like in the board game). You put those points into the box. At the end of the "path" of boxes there, you total up the number of points you got for all of the builds you were able to do. You compare this with your opponent. If you got more points than them, you win! If they got more points, they win! But, if you tie, (I think this happens) you get to play one more turn to see if you can break the tie. I am not sure that happens. I may have just played it that way. Who knows. It has been a while since I played the Catan Dice Game.

The Red side plays very similar to the actual game. You pick a "starting point," and you have a settlement and 2 roads. You then get to roll and play much like the real game, gathering up resources and attempting to settle the whole island.

This game is great if you don't have a lot of space to play the Travel or Portable edition. Because you still get the "feel" of Catan, but you don't have to remember all of the rules of the actual board game. I really enjoy this simple version of the game. If only other games could do this more often.

Rating: 9/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Catan Dice Game was a Christmas stocking stuffer that my wife gave me (after giving her a hint at our Walmart.) It now resides in the same box as my Alhambra: The Dice Game which is somewhat fitting, because it fits in more ways than one.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls