Hide
6 Posts

The Dark Sands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assault CRT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
carl gruber
msg tools
Just got the game yesterday and have played through the first 2 turns. I ran into a problem with the CW player using the Assault CRT. Namely, it's the 1/2EX result. I attacked one of the Italian Libyan divisions with 4 CW units and added assets. Final odds were 5:1 and I rolled a 2 and got 1/2EX. I took out the Italian unit but then every unit in my entire CW force took a step loss, and to that I had to add the automatic step loss for using Assault CRT. In other words, losing 4 CW steps to kill just one enemy step seems excessive. Has anyone considered reducing the attacker step losses to match the defender loss? As things stand, it looks like the CW player is taking too much of a risk to ever use the assault CRT. And one other thing, a minor point really but if GMT produces a 2nd edition of the game, could stacking rules be printed somewhere on the map margins or on a player aid card? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't use the Assault CRT til Turn 13 IIRC. By then you should have a lot more units to absorb losses; early in the game 4 steps is killer to either side. By the late game, between all the new units as well as the Cadre replacements, you can absorb this .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Try it with one attacker and a lot of artillery and air versus a stack of 2 or 3 enemy units and even at 2 to 1 it can work. But in general I avoid it as to costly and do not find the British can afford the high losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl gruber
msg tools
Thanks. I missed that rule entirely. One other thing I can't find involve the replacement chits. The Axis chits include white repl icons. What are those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Raicer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
White means they don't get that type of replacement with that chit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl gruber
msg tools
Thanks! I finally got my dull mind in gear to figure that out, The game is playing well as of GT6. I'm going to set it up again at GT1 and have at it with my better understanding of the rules. With its (relatively) small number of counters and unpredictable chit draws, I have to really think twice about a lot of actions, because there's not much room for errors. That makes the game really worth the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls