Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of Chess books that I've accumulated over the years. I'm going to be moving soon and between being short on space and having moved on from Chess, I am looking to get rid of these.

I'm curious about what people think is the best way to sell these. I don't know if it would make more sense to put them up on Ebay, try to sell them here (I'm not even sure what the best way to do that would be), or if there are other options.

Would it make more sense to try to sell them piecemeal or as a collection? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sell on eBay.

If you want to make the most money, sell them individually. It will take the most time and effort.

If you want to get rid of them quickly, selling them as a bundle. Start the price out at a dollar. The market will decide what they are worth. This will get the least money but take the least time and effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find the local Chess club (assuming there is one) and inform them. I sold Go books to local Go players that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Find the local Chess club (assuming there is one) and inform them. I sold Go books to local Go players that way.
There's a college Chess Club that meets at the same location as our Go club. I tried that route, but had no luck. Maybe because college students don't have any money? There's another Chess group that I know of. I might try and see if they'd be interested. But I haven't been to that one in forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t think you’ll have much success. Too small of a customer base. Donate and write off your taxes and you’ll likely get the same value without all the leg work selling on eBay requires ( in addition to the eBay fees, and PayPal fees)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the types of books. Journal series, preferably complete years, should be interesting for collectors, as are OOP books from famous authors. If you're unsure about the latter, a second-hand-bookshop might be of assistance.

Other than that, I don't think there's much of a market for second-hand Chess literature. Even slightly advanced Chess literature is mostly digital these days because online/electronic resources are both more comfortable, more comprehensive, and cheaper (or free). And the only kind of Chess books that sell well, namely beginner manuals aimed at children, are so dirt-cheap that there's little reason to look for second-hand copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Saastamoinen
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps eBay or a similar site is the best alternative. I would presume that there is still market for chess books dealing with tactics or strategy...at least I have not seen to many free digital books dealing with these topics. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ari Saastamoinen wrote:
Perhaps eBay or a similar site is the best alternative. I would presume that there is still market for chess books dealing with tactics or strategy...at least I have not seen to many free digital books dealing with these topics. Good luck!
No offense, but that just means that you didn't look very hard. Here's half a million free books to get you started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ari Saastamoinen
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Ari Saastamoinen wrote:
No offense, but that just means that you didn't look very hard. Here's half a million free books to get you started.
Well...internet archive is a great resource, and I have often used it to find Latin texts, but when I checked the site last time I found very few books on the chess strategy and all of them were pretty old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I have a bunch of Chess books [...] I am looking to get rid of these.
Some major factors to help you decide are what sort of chess books you're talking about, which notation it is written in, and publisher and/or rarity of the publication.

Books targetting novice to moderate club players are pretty easy to sell (material targeting roughly up to ELO 1600), but beyond that level, a player is likely to already be interested if not invested in digital training material (i.e. ChessBase or CT-ART tutorial material), unless the material is older or obscure.

The chess notation used is the next biggest factor, people trying to liquidate chess books from an estate often find it difficult to sell older well-regarded books if they are not in the now dominate algebraic notation, which has been preferred since about 1980 in English-language publications. Older editions of popular titles with descriptive notation are harder to sell if there exists a reprint in algebraic notation.

Older chess players who initially learnt descriptive will still buy such books, but they are less likely to be interested in more basic material.

Titles that are rare or more collectible can be more desirable to some buyers, older titles, non-English (e.g. Russian), from smaller or foreign publishers, can increase the value, but only to some buyers, many of whom are as much chess book collectors as they are mere readers.

Like board games, many chess books were published by small or even self-published, with very limited print runs, so they may be scarce. If they were any good, and not just a re-hash of well-known basics or memoirs of uninspiring non-champion players, they might have value to the right buyer or collector.

For example, the original hardcover English Thought and Choice in Chess (1965) by de Groot had a limited print run, and I believe is worth over a hundred dollars in decent condition.

Collections of Chess Informant from the Cold War era may be interesting to the right buyer, but most chess players now prefer the convenience and compactness of chess databases.

For novice to club-level material as long as they are all in algebraic notation, I would consider selling them in small bundles, grouped by topic, say tactics, openings, strategy, etc.

If your collection includes older or more obscure titles then finding a used book store (physical or virtual) that has a chess section or at least a reasonable non-fiction section may be worth considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mctylr wrote:

If your collection includes older or more obscure titles then finding a used book store (physical or virtual) that has a chess section or at least a reasonable non-fiction section may be worth considering.
I don't know if you have a Half Price Books near you, but they buy old chess books and always take every book you bring in. You may not get the most money this way, but it is the quickest, most convenient way to sell books. And it seems that a lot of chess players visit Half Price Books, so if there is actually any demand for them, they will eventually go to a good home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much do you think they're worth, Bryan?

Pete (would probably just seek to give them away at the aforementioned chess club unless they're of significant value)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
How much do you think they're worth, Bryan?
That's a hard question to answer. How do you value things? Do I use what you could find them at other places? How much I think I could actually sell them for if I found the right buyer? How much I could sell them for if getting rid of them was my top priority?

I think they have some value. Some more than others. Ideally I'd like to get something for them, rather than just giving them away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls