Subject: Beware ! Read this before using the plastic connectors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you set up your game you have to make the navigator dial and the chief engineers dials. Please please be aware that there are long ones and short ones. The 2 long bits are for the navigator dial. The shorter ones are for the chief engineers board. I made the drastic mistake of putting the long bits on the chief engineers board. Thus they were loose and absolutely impossible to get apart again. I had to trash it to get it off and as a result it would not now clip together when used for the navigator dial. I then tried to make it fit by supergluing it together with the disastrous result of the glue leaking all over my dial and totally ruining it. The bloody plastic bits did not even stick together ! The whole thing is not exactly ruined but a complete mess! I am so so so piseed off !!! I hope this stops others from having the nightmare i have had. angryangry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
丹利 習
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the warning mate. I don’t even know what these famous plastic threads look like that I keep hearing about.

Perhaps someone could post pictures? Maybe the devs could post a video even of how to put everything together, and not just the boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel
msg tools
I made the same mistake, but with the help of a pen and some force I got them apart again without damaging. It took some work and was a tense moment, but it worked out for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! Sorry to hear that you have experienced such a problem soblue We could have provided some sort of desciption... To be honest, at the time of writing the rules, I had a very vague idea on how these bits would look like, so I didn't exactly anticipate the problem blush

Anyhow, it seems to me that even if you snap the pieces together, you can still disconnect them by squeezing together the two plastic parts that protrude outside and extend outward (keeping both bits locked). If you manage to do that, then it should be possible to detach one from the other.

Oh, and thank you so much for giving everyone a heads up! While the pieces differ in size (and I do hope most people will get them right because of that), then again I can imagine that it's not that difficult to mix them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, there is a flatter end and a thicker end to the pins. The flatter end should rest against the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muttah wrote:
Hi there! Sorry to hear that you have experienced such a problem soblue We could have provided some sort of desciption... To be honest, at the time of writing the rules, I had a very vague idea on how these bits would look like, so I didn't exactly anticipate the problem blush

Anyhow, it seems to me that even if you snap the pieces together, you can still disconnect them by squeezing together the two plastic parts that protrude outside and extend outward (keeping both bits locked). If you manage to do that, then it should be possible to detach one from the other.

Oh, and thank you so much for giving everyone a heads up! While the pieces differ in size (and I do hope most people will get them right because of that), then again I can imagine that it's not that difficult to mix them up.
Thanks . I tried to squeeze the bits apart but it was totally impossible to get them apart. The more I tried , the more damaged they got until the end was all mangled up. In the end I had to drill them apart , if you can believe that ! I ended up having to delicately screw them together , a highly stressful operation ! Oh well , it works now , after a fashion. Oh well , C'est la vie !

I hope it will not be a problem if people want to turn the black disc around. No prob for me now , all I need is a screwdriver ! Maybe its all meant to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Additionally, there is a flatter end and a thicker end to the pins. The flatter end should rest against the table.
The saga continues ! Have just realised I have put the pins on the chief engineers board on upside down , so now the board will not sit flat on the table. cry not sure if I can cope with trying to get these two apart now. Might have to go to bed and try tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And all this even before the destroyers began to hunt your U-Boot!

Jokes aside. Thanks for warning and protecting us from making your mistake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destroyers ? Pah ! No problem .
Stupid plastic pins ? Hell on earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the Chief Engineer's board never sits completely flat on the table once you assemble the gauges. And I'm not sure whether the orientation of the pins even matters - there is always a small portion of them protruding from the cardboard on each side, and I guess that cannot be helped if the whole thing is supposed to stay together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can surely replace these plastic devices with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Screws-Plain-Pcs-Silver/dp/B0...

Also called "binding posts and screws".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauer
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Euro Power
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like some of these U-BOOTS are lacking Chief Engineers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FSCB wrote:
Lol.......Good one that. I was thinking of commenting but that one is better!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FSCB wrote:
Lacking? Certainly not ! Unfortunately my chief engineer is busy working out how to stop the model of the submarine falling apart !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Lacking the GAME actually - I live in the USA though, so I know they are on their way! Very excited to get my copy!

Thanks for the heads up about the plastic pins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

With parts looks similar and can assembled in several ways, lay them out and think twice.

A kind of "Measure twice, cut once" rule.

A replacement:
Small screw/bolt, nut and two spacers.
Assemble screw,spacers, nut.
Cut or grind off excess length of screw.
Disassemble.

Install with spacer on each side. Finger-tight nut, and lock it with superglue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hinerman
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great.

Now I'm going to be stressing about this when I'm putting it all together. Second guessing every move!

Really though, thank you for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Wejayana
Indonesia
East Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the warning mate, I'm waiting my game , once it arrives, I'll be very careful to fit it all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Geest
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also screwed up. Is it possible to order replacement parts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Ozon
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use this form: http://phalanxgames.co.uk/contact-form.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Just put mine together today, thanks for this tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I connected the bits for the attack wheel and then realized I forgot the arrow for bearing to target. Luckily, I was able to use a pair of scissor and lever the connectors apart and it did not damage them. I was sure it would, though, and I think I just got lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derthiel Derthiel
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I bought the game today but the pin is still not long enough. There are 3 pins (2 for Chief engineer to stick together arrow on playmat and 1 long to assemble navigation wheel. But its still not long enough to click into place with 3 wheels and arrow together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Maw
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derthiel wrote:
Well I bought the game today but the pin is still not long enough. There are 3 pins (2 for Chief engineer to stick together arrow on playmat and 1 long to assemble navigation wheel. But its still not long enough to click into place with 3 wheels and arrow together.
Contact the publishers i guess. They have been really good with replacement parts etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls