4 Posts

KeyForge: Call of the Archons» Forums » General

Subject: Power status cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
I've noticed a lot of people using power status cards (or their own equivalent) as sort of a reminder of ongoing board-effects. (Such as Mushroom Man or Yxili Marauder.)

It's my understanding from the rule book that power status cards are only meant to be used for +1 power counters that would not otherwise be trackable by information on the board. Like with cards like Zyzzix the Many.

I'm generally fine with this, since I do not think there are any cards that specifically interact with +1 power counters after they enter play, so it is effectively the same. But I do have some concerns though. First off it can get really confusing if two players are used to doing it two different ways. Second, and I understand this is subjective, I feel it needlessly clutters up the board with redundant information. And last but not least, we may in the future get cards that actually interact with power counters in play, in which case you'd have to unlearn the habit or you'd actually be changing the game. Better to just play it right from the start.

I'm guessing that most people who play it this way think that's how you're supposed to play, so I just thought I'd spread some awareness. Of course if you're playing with your friends you are free to play however you want, but in a public setting I think it's to the benefit of everyone to follow the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed, I think it's best to only use the power counters if the card says to.

One thing I was a little unsure of, and can't find definitively answered anywhere, is whether both types of power increases (marked with counters, or due to ongoing board effects) are counted for abilities that reference a creature's power. For abilities like Master of X, Earthshaker, or Three Fates, for instance, do you count creatures' printed power level only, printed power level plus counters, or effective power level including counters and ongoing effects?

Master of X wrote:
Reap: You may destroy a creature with X power
Earthshaker wrote:
Play: Destroy each creature with power 3 or lower
Three Fates wrote:
Play: Destroy the 3 most powerful creatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Karlsek
Sweden
flag msg tools
Bobb Feta wrote:

One thing I was a little unsure of, and can't find definitively answered anywhere, is whether both types of power increases (marked with counters, or due to ongoing board effects) are counted for abilities that reference a creature's power. For abilities like Master of X, Earthshaker, or Three Fates, for instance, do you count creatures' printed power level only, printed power level plus counters, or effective power level including counters and ongoing effects?

Master of X wrote:
Earthshaker wrote:
Three Fates wrote:
You always count the effective power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
ShogunCharlie wrote:
Bobb Feta wrote:

Master of X wrote:
Earthshaker wrote:
Three Fates wrote:
You always count the effective power.
This must be the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls