7 Posts

Darklight: Memento Mori» Forums » General

Subject: Similar games you recommend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark McClover
msg tools
Hi,
If the add-ons were available this game would be an instant all-in for me. However, I am not willing to get the base game only or to pay secondary market prices.

Are there other games that you would recommend as an alternative and with a similar fantasy setting (i.e. not SoB)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folklore: The Affliction has some atmospheric similarities (and many mechanical differences).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Novark Perion
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword & Sorcery is another game you can check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam phillipe

Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
darky000 wrote:
Sword & Sorcery is another game you can check out.
I'll add some thoughts:

S&S -Playing a fully painted set with all expansions with my gaming group as we speak. What I like is the story and the fact every dungeon has its own unique setup. What I dislike is that same like- once you've played a quest, it'll never be the "first time" again - you know the decisions, you know the outcome of those decisions etc. It also has a zillion fine print rules which are hard to remember/track, it takes forever to setup, and it unfortunately has no "exploration" factor. The dungeons are pre-set and laid out on the table from the start. I REALLY like the game but it's not a viable alternative to DMM if you like the exploration factor, the brutality/theme, and the randomness/replayability.

Folklore- Bought it, played it for a few hours, sold it. TOO much story and not enough action! Similar to S&S, very scripted. Probably low replayability as again you know the outcomes of decisions you make in the story script after the first play. Biggest issue? Combat was boring. Like.... really boring. D100, add a zillion +1 -1 factors and then compare values. It had little-to-no tactics and was a dice fest.

Honestly - Your best bet if you want something similar to DMM is SOB or the original WHQ from 95. I'd keep searching for the extras and buy the base game while you can find it. I think this game will only go up in price as it becomes harder and harder to find a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zachary rucker
msg tools
If you want a vs experience instead of coop, Dark Rituals: Malleus Maleficarum is currently on KS for a bit longer. It is a 1 vs many game that looks really cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene
msg tools
I have heard that Shadows of Brimstone is very similar series (successor of Warhammer Quest, too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Siar wrote:
I have heard that Shadows of Brimstone is very similar series (successor of Warhammer Quest, too)
SoB was excluded by the thread starter. Perhaps the upcoming Middara: Unintentional Malum – Act 1 may be of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls