Subject: A couple more questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Baker
France
Rennes
flag msg tools
Hello, a few more questions after a couple of new plays

1) Can you use a heal card to get xp even if everyone is full life ? Will you score xp for it ?

2) If I created an element through a potion, I cannot use this turn? Just like if i'd created it through a card ?

3) Flying book seems really GOOD compared to other random pattern, am I missing something or is it just VERY VERY good ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
1) Per the FAQ, yes.

2) Correct, it works like any other method of infusion.

3) I'm not sure what you're referring to, I'll like someone else take that one. Personally, I don't really care about spoilers at this point, but if it's something unlocked you may want to use spoiler tags for those that do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WilliamB wrote:
3) Flying book seems really GOOD compared to other random pattern, am I missing something or is it just VERY VERY good ?
If I'm deciphering this correctly, I believe you're trying to say

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Boots of Levitation are better than the other random item designs.

And, yeah, it's generally considered to be one of the better ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only if you have a valid target
Mostly this is easy, as you can even target yourself when you are full, but there are cards which only target allies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Loudermilk
msg tools
It is important to note that elements only infuse at the END of your turn. You can never use an element on the same turn that you create it (whether it is an action, ability, or item).

You can however, if an element is already strong or waning, use an action that creates fire and then consume the already existing fire before your new fire goes into effect.

Example:
Fire is waning
uses bottom action to move and create Fire
uses top action to attack and consumes Fire to add +1
Fire moves to inert
Turn ends
Fire moves to Strong

EDIT* I just reread your statement and realized that you said CANNOT use this turn. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
126 logged plays and I still haven't unlocked the Boots of Levitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
126 logged plays and I still haven't unlocked the Boots of Levitation.
it is a random item design.
Which means the first time you get a Random Item design (in a treasure chest, or by "unlocking" a character class or envelope that has already been unlocked), you only have a 1-in-25 chance (4%) of getting that particular design.

random item design spoilers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are only 15 chests listed in the treasure index that contain Random Item Designs, none of which I believe are in the early scenarios, so your frequency of unlocking them varies depending on which scenario paths you pursue.
And if you happen to be one of those people who deliberately chooses Personal Quests for the characters to avoid having multiple quests unlocking the same class/envelope, then that will further reduce/delay your rate of getting these Random Item Designs.

I suppose you could houserule away the "random" part of the "random item design", but that would take away part of the design aspects of the game in terms of each campaign having its own unique attributes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Uninvited Guest wrote:
3) I'm not sure what you're referring to, I'll like someone else take that one. Personally, I don't really care about spoilers at this point, but if it's something unlocked you may want to use spoiler tags for those that do.
You will want to avoid page 38 of your rule book if you want to avoid knowing what he is referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
Uninvited Guest wrote:
You will want to avoid page 38 of your rule book if you want to avoid knowing what he is referring to.
Lol! I did connect those dots, but it’s still an assumption that he was referring to Boots of Levitation in his question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
Uninvited Guest wrote:
Many will avoid a rulebook if it has a page 38 ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
Uninvited Guest wrote:
Many will avoid a rulebook if it has a page 38 ...
then what are they doing here, on a forum with over 10,000 threads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moerges Smith
Germany
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
then what are they doing here, on a forum with over 10,000 threads?
Trying to get answers to questions they wouldn't have if they'd read the rule book?

(That is not to say there aren't many threads on here that seek clarification on topics that are left murky in the rules, of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baker
France
Rennes
flag msg tools
Sorry about the spoil for boots ... and thanks for all the answer.

Got a few more questions:

A) For the secret class with 2 minis, we agree that all items only affect the first mini and never the second right ?

B) The engineer portative Turret does still shoot, gain xp even if there is no target ?

C) When Gloomhaven goes up by a level, and you have a character bellow that level, he can go up instantly, does he also gain 15 gold in the process ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C) no, you get the gold only when you create the char

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
WilliamB wrote:
C) When Gloomhaven goes up by a level, and you have a character below that level, he can go up instantly
Where is this rule. I know I've read it, we've even used it, but now I can't find it. The rulebook isn't that big. All I can find is that starting characters can begin at prosperity level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:
WilliamB wrote:
C) When Gloomhaven goes up by a level, and you have a character below that level, he can go up instantly
Where is this rule. I know I've read it, we've even used it, but now I can't find it. The rulebook isn't that big. All I can find is that starting characters can begin at prosperity level.
Bottom of page 48
last paragraph
2nd sentence

It is under the "Gloomhaven Prosperity" heading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Thank you. Life just got a little less stressful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls