Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Survey about class card pool preferences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
In the Arkham Horror LCG Facebook group, a meme prompted a big discussion about the Survivor class card pool, and I made a comment that alone got a big discussion. I now want to write a blog post about this issue and for that post I want some data about what card pool is players most/least favorite. When I have some data, I will share it (along with my own opinions).

Here is the survey (a Google form): https://goo.gl/forms/oscdlmoBOAF2zfrK2

The blog post will appear here: https://ntguardian.wordpress.com/blog/

Please limit yourself to one response. (I cannot enforce this without also requiring a Google sign in.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survivors are my favorite class. I will admit I haven’t taken a lot of exile cards, but Survivors have a few genuine sub themes in their card cool, whereas say the Rogues have basically one.

You can build a Survivor deck around being broke, around being card poor, around recurring cards in your discard, around evading, around failing skill tests to win...they can require some finesse, but Survivors give you very powerful effects for having to play with some sort of disadvantage. I love it, because when I build a good deck and play it well, it feels like I’ve done something special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always have an easier time playing Survivor because of their luck mitigation. Also they rival Rogue for big game moments in my experience. That said I do think they take a bit more skill to pilot than a Seeker or Guardian.

Also I noticed many people don't seem to like Exile cards on the basis that they are adverse to throwing away XP on a one time effect. I find after the first few scenarios I've pretty much exhausted my experience purchases for must have stuff in my Survivor builds and then I'm just buying efficiency cards like upgraded Cache or Lucky!. At that point I start considering the Exile cards. Test of Will or Flare can win you the game sometimes so it's worth burning an XP that your really didn't need anyway. For example after scenario 2 of Circle I got Rita 2x Pete S lvl 2 and 2x Ornate Bow. At that point I didn't really feel like I needed anything for the character build. I got there even faster with my Dark Horse Ashcan build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
It's an interesting one for me: I don't like playing survivors as my primary class, but I love survivor cards for splashing. Having the right survivor cards in hand or on the field just makes everything you do a little bit better or more secure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Oakman
United States
Meadville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was really hard. I kept going back and forth. I see the cards in each faction as a toolbox so I don't heavily rely on one set more than the other and like to play a variety of investigator types as well. They all honestly have great options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Boardman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
soakman wrote:
This was really hard.
Agreed. I honestly have no preference and would rate them all equally. Not to mention that the value of cards can vary massively depending on the investigator, and even which other investigators are in your group.

I feel this is exemplified by Lola Hayes. Even building a solo deck for her I think all 5 classes are equally valid options for her required “roles” deckbuilding requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SepiaPenguin03 wrote:
Survivors are my favorite class. I will admit I haven’t taken a lot of exile cards, but Survivors have a few genuine sub themes in their card cool, whereas say the Rogues have basically one.
Rogues have a few. Agility, money, extra actions, success by 2 or more, illicit, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Wolf
msg tools
Let's just analyze the options:
Mystics (5 - best deckbuilding options) have a lot of options in every way, shape or form, and so do Guardians. I just prefer the mystic combos better, since Guardians are pretty bland in that regard. I feel you really can now make different mystic decks, from support to tank and combat master, to main seeking investigator etc. They have everything and even playing one deck a few times is till fun because of so many exp. options. And while their decks are pretty deep, the premise is simple - boost willpower. That leaves them with a nice weakness you have to cover. Guardians have better weapons (more fun) than mystics have combat spells, although Shattered Aeons really gave Mystics a fun new icy option. And maybe I'd like to see a Mystic that wouldn't be pure Mystic if you get me. Some hybrid guy or girl, that's not just using spells and artifacts from the same class over and over again. That's really what they're missing.
Guardians (4) are just so great, because they are sooo well balanced imo. It's quite relaxing looking at their options. You have everything from amazing gear, weapons, allies, events that cover literally everything + your friends' asses, awesome skillcards that can also combo, fun and engaging exp. options etc. But they lack different kinds of investigators. They have options, just some other classes have more. Maybe my least favorite on investigator side. Mystics again are so simple to make in that regard.
I gave Seekers 3. because they just have some 0 exp. cards that are just too strong for any class, not just for them. Otherwise I really like Seeker cards theme, maybe even more than Guardian, maybe even my favorite I'd say, but again, Seekers just have so much random stuff and OP stuff (you know what they are). I don't care for balance in a co-op game, OP cards can be really fun, but this stuff really limits their options and sometimes even other classes' options, because not including them just hinders your deck and you know it (example is Shortcut). And that's not good. They have really fun and diverse roster of investigators though. And their experience options are quite game breaking, but in a good way imo. There's seeking, combat, running and evading so much support and combos, really fun and diverse.
Rogues (2) may have some of my least favorite cards, but they have options. They have quite a few very awesome weapons, but they also have SO MUCH cards that are meant for combos and while combo decks are fun, they, in my opinion, are niche, or at least not used in every game. Sometimes you just want a simple deck and Rouges have a limited card pool when you look at it that way (example: no useful combat ally or even asset - there is a new Guardian tarrot card for Jenny and Skids, but they need more imo). They got their quite fresh Lockpicks and the seeker gator and that was an amazing get. But more, Leo breaks their ally pool, because he's just too strong. They also have no pure combat investigators, but otherwise their investigators are really really fun and diverse. They have AMAZING experience options. Maybe the best in the game. And btw, they were my favorite to play before the last few expansions. I love Preston, but again the new cards are very niche. The new seeker agent Joe with 4 combat elevates seekers above Rogues for me in the options in card pool department though. They now have an optional pure combat investigator, while Rogues still don't.
Survivors (1 - worst) have some AWESOME cards, especially investigators are just so fun and weird, but they just lack options in the card pool. You have so many "survive" cards, but they lack anything else strong. Their weapons are quite fun, but there are no heavy hitting options. That for me may be their biggest minus. Lack of experience pure combat options. They have quite a few very strong investigate cards though like Look What I Found and Newspaper 2 exp. And their allies, while strong, are still nicely balanced and quite diverse. They have a million evade options, maybe even too much. It would sometimes be nice to get something else rather than just another evade. These new Track Shoes are pretty cool though. Their skill cards are pretty awesome imo. But still, I feel like they have so much niche cards that only allow some very specific combos, like Rogues, and lack anything else meaningful. They are extremely fun to play though, with all their Survivor specializations like Seeker Urchin, combat Gravekeeper, being dead crazy guy, new athlete runner and evader etc. They may even be my favorite class, but they still lack options in a big way. And they even lack one investigator only available for 15 bucks along a cheaply written book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls