Václav Malina
Czech Republic
Staré Město
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I just want to ask about using Trade Routes Agreement:
It says that once per round, A can use "1 food instead of 1 rock"
and B the other way around.

Some people have been argueing with me, so I want to make sure: Does this mean that you can LITERALLY only use 1 food instead of 1 rock (per round)?

Cause some people have been telling me that the number there is just a ratio (meaning that you can use as many foods/rocks instead of the other thing).

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only once per turn round, as per the card =P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trubec97 wrote:

Some people have been argueing with me, so I want to make sure: Does this mean that you can LITERALLY only use 1 food instead of 1 rock (per round)?

Cause some people have been telling me that the number there is just a ratio (meaning that you can use as many foods/rocks instead of the other thing).

Thanks in advance!
Ah yes, the classsic “reading rules as they wish they were instead of literally what they say.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
trubec97 wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Ah yes, the classsic “reading rules as they wish they were instead of literally what they say.” :D
Right? I don’t even see how anyone could reasonably argue it’s repeatable when it says “once per round.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Also important, you can't use it to replace 1 food with 1 rock during the consumption phase. It only replaces one food with 1 rock when you take a civil action to increase your population.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Wasser
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Also important, you can't use it to replace 1 food with 1 rock during the consumption phase.
I don't see why that should be the case. Admittedly, I never thought about doing that (although it seems like a damn good idea), but why shouldn't you be allowed to do it? The reason to be allowed to do it is fairly straightforward: once per round you can use a rock instead of a food.

sfox wrote:
It only replaces one food with 1 rock when you take a civil action to increase your population.
This is just plain wrong, sorry. You can also use it when taking a civil action to play frugality. And if you think that's just splitting hairs, you can also use it when taking a military action to use Barbarossa's ability. Of course only once per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Wasser
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
Right? I don’t even see how anyone could reasonably argue it’s repeatable when it says “once per round.”
Challenge accepted.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

This is just playing devil's advocate, the rule is fairly straightforward, I am putting this in a spoiler tag for a reason, do not treat this as anything other than what it is, please:

I would say that "once per round" only prevents me from using the ability on multiple actions. But within a single action I can use the one for the other as much as I want at a ratio of 1:1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Nate Wasser wrote:
reddish22 wrote:
Challenge accepted.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

This is just playing devil's advocate, the rule is fairly straightforward, I am putting this in a spoiler tag for a reason, do not treat this as anything other than what it is, please:

I would say that "once per round" only prevents me from using the ability on multiple actions. But within a single action I can use the one for the other as much as I want at a ratio of 1:1.
Not treating this as anything other than what it is, but this is just plain wrong. It says you can use 1 food or resource once. Otherwise, either the "1" or the "once" should have been omitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see these types of questions all the time on BGG - “card says choose any player” does that include me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate Wasser wrote:
sfox wrote:
Also important, you can't use it to replace 1 food with 1 rock during the consumption phase.
I don't see why that should be the case. Admittedly, I never thought about doing that (although it seems like a damn good idea), but why shouldn't you be allowed to do it? The reason to be allowed to do it is fairly straightforward: once per round you can use a rock instead of a food.
Doesn't matter if you can't see why it should be the case, that is the rule (you can't do it on the app). I had been doing that for years to be able to grow my population faster, but it just isn't legal. By the wording of the card, it ought to be, but it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls