Hide
5 Posts

Hero Realms» Forums » General

Subject: Too many damage dealing cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Roman
msg tools
Wow. After loving Star Realms, my kids and I thought Hero Realms would be a nice change. But no matter how we try, the games end too quickly because there are almost no cards to regenerate health. I mean, well less than 10% of the cards regenerate health. I have no idea why the score cards go up to 80. There isn't any conceivable scenario where that would happen...or 70 or 60. Kind of disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bebbington
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely not my experience - last night I played a game with my son. At one point he was up to 71 health and I was on 29. I ended up winning the game finishing on 61 health. I focused on Champions at the start until he was unable to deal with them as he was focusing on health and didn't have enough damage cards to get rid of them, and then I gained some health cards. He was the Thief and I was the Cleric.

The Character packs definitely add a lot more to the game and some characters that regenerate health as a skill, you should definitely get these.

Also, I've never played Star Realms but I listened to an interview with the designer where he said it was purposely designed to be a more swingy game with more Champions and higher damage to deal with these. Games can last from 15 minutes - 45 minutes rather than being a slower grind that Star Realms is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there is more damage, but there are also more champions than bases in Star Realms and many champions are either guardians or priority targets. Also, the yellow faction has a card that gets you health for every champion you have out. If you build up minions (so your opponent is spending all of their damage on killing them) and then drop that guy, you can get 10-20 health each turn and if you have enough guards, your opponent will never be able to reach him to stop the bloat. You can easily go above 100 with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D CM
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Bebbs wrote:
That's definitely not my experience - last night I played a game with my son. At one point he was up to 71 health and I was on 29. I ended up winning the game finishing on 61 health. I focused on Champions at the start until he was unable to deal with them as he was focusing on health and didn't have enough damage cards to get rid of them, and then I gained some health cards. He was the Thief and I was the Cleric.

The Character packs definitely add a lot more to the game and some characters that regenerate health as a skill, you should definitely get these.

Also, I've never played Star Realms but I listened to an interview with the designer where he said it was purposely designed to be a more swingy game with more Champions and higher damage to deal with these. Games can last from 15 minutes - 45 minutes rather than being a slower grind that Star Realms is.
Not my experience either. Games never last less than 25-30 minutes.
You may focus on getting more guardians and purchasing at least one card that regenerates health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleacher Creature
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It is VERY swingy in comparison to Star Realms. Most of our games last 15-25 minutes and never longer. One player usually gets a good combination of Champion guards and damage dealing action cards and then its quickly over with huge amounts of damage being thrown out and very little healing possible.

I love the theme of HR but I must say that I like the closer, grinding games that you get in Star Realms where there is rarely a blowout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls