Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played scenario 5.3 (Lanterns of the Bone Fields) tonight, and ran into a frustrating rules question. We played through it the best we could, but I really have no idea how this scenario is supposed to go. Warning: Spoilers ahead!!!

With 2 heroes, 2 locations are set up to contain loot, and the other 2 have curses.

My first question came when we encountered a curse. I was surprised that the card itself didn't say what to do. I assumed you "got" the curse. After the game, I saw that page 22 of the rulebook confirms that. Ok, so not very clear, but it works like you would expect.

Next, we encountered the Life Lantern (loot). It has no check to acquire, and nothing on the card says that you automatically acquire it (like the old Blessing of the Gods did in Runelords). The rules section on loot cards doesn't say you automatically acquire them, nor does the scenario card. It wouldn't make sense to put the loot back in the box, since there would be no way to acquire it from there. I assumed you had to shuffle it back into the location, and you would only get it after you closed that location (per the scenario card).

A bit later, we encountered the henchman Ossumental Swarm. I was shocked to see that it does not have the normal henchman text at the bottom about having an opportunity to close the location. [EDIT: Not shocked that it was missing, but shocked that the henchmen for this scenario didn't offer the ability to close.] So we defeated it, but the location was still open. I assumed we would have to empty the location to close it.

We carried on, until the only card left in the location deck was the Life Lantern. Then we realized that we were screwed. We couldn't acquire the loot, which meant we couldn't empty the location, which meant we couldn't close the location, which meant we couldn't acquire the loot. Which meant we couldn't add the Elemental Trenches location, which meant we couldn't close that location, which meant we couldn't win.

The only way to win would be to defeat the villain between 2 and 4 times, to close both locations that contained loot. That's ridiculous. Like, maybe even beyond Skull & Shackles levels of ridiculous.

At that point, we just decided that when we would encounter a loot card like that, we would automatically acquire it. We ended up winning, but I wanted to add a note to the scenario card, to avoid confusion in our next campaign.

I looked back at how we handled this in our previous 2 campaigns. In both cases, I didn't notice that the henchman lacked the "you may close" text. So when we defeated a henchman, we closed the location.

What did we miss? Is there a rule somewhere saying you automatically acquire cards with no check to acquire? Is there errata for the Ossumental Swarm to say it actually allows you to close the location? Do you really just have to defeat the villain 2-4 times? Is there a special case where you are allowed to close a location if it is "empty except for loot"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sympathize with your frustration. If your last point of reference was Runelords (I am guessing), a few things are significantly different in Mummy's Mask, and you could experience something like whiplash at first.

Loot:
MM Rulebook p.24 wrote:
Loot: Loot cards are unique in a couple of ways...If a loot card ends up in a location deck, you automatically acquire it when you encounter it.
Henchman:
MM Rulebook p.22, emphasis added wrote:
When Closing: When you have the opportunity to close a location and want to do so, you must perform this task. Usually you get the opportunity to close a location after a henchman is defeated there (when this is the case, the henchman card will say so) or after the location deck runs out of cards...
BTW: I find that it's much easier to find stuff in the rulebook if you search the PDF:
Rulebooks are here, although curiously it's the Organized Play page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
I sympathize with your frustration. If your last point of reference was Runelords (I am guessing), a few things are significantly different in Mummy's Mask, and you could experience something like whiplash at first.
We did 3 Runelords campaigns, gave up on S&S after half a campaign, skipped WotR, and are almost finished with our 3rd MM campaign. I thought I had a handle on what was different. And I did get the henchman/closing thing correct this time, although I knew but overlooked it in the previous 2 MM runs.

Quote:
Loot:
MM Rulebook p.24 wrote:
Loot: Loot cards are unique in a couple of ways...If a loot card ends up in a location deck, you automatically acquire it when you encounter it.
Yup, there it is, at the end of the paragraph. I think I glossed over it because it directly contradicts the first couple sentences in that paragraph. Definitely could be clearer, and I have no idea why they didn't put something on the card to give a hint in that direction. But it is there in the rules.

Quote:
BTW: I find that it's much easier to find stuff in the rulebook if you search the PDF:
Rulebooks are here, although curiously it's the Organized Play page
Good point. The paper rulebook was handier at the time that I was trying to decipher how it worked. But before posting the question, I should have checked my computer, where I already had the PDF. Oh well. Maybe this thread will help someone else at some point.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls