Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to love betrayal as it promises a fun social experience win or lose, but I often ended up frustrated with it. Mostly I think it suffered from unclear or contradictory rules (some haunts wanted both sides to use the same tokens for different things for example).

This version has (so far) fixed every complaint I ever had. The best example we had was during a haunt last night when the setup asked us to set aside some tokens and one was already in use. The person reading this was interrupted by us debating what to do (due to experiencing this in normal betrayal). When he was able to carry on, the setup immediately answered that very question, something that the original wouldn't (from my past experience) have done.

So thank you Rob for taking a game I wanted to really enjoy and producing a version I really can
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacVicar
United States
California
flag msg tools
My favorite improvements are:

* the rich don’t always get richer. Original Betrayal had a habit of rewarding high rolls, which meant heroes with high stats would improve. Frequently one hero would get hurt early on and go into a near death spiral.

* the haunts are more competitive. In Original Betrayal, if the haunt happened early the heroes were doomed, if later the traitor was doomed. Only about 1 in 10 sessions were close. In our current campaign, 3 out of 4 competitive (i.e. Traitor vs Heroes) were very close, and the outlier was due to a rules error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not big on regular Betrayal but after my Campaign I'm totally going to play this again. The fact the Haunt can't start till at least 3 Omens are drawn makes it more funner cuz in normal BoH the haunt can start after only discovering 1 tile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmacvicar wrote:

* the haunts are more competitive. In Original Betrayal, if the haunt happened early the heroes were doomed, if later the traitor was doomed. Only about 1 in 10 sessions were close. In our current campaign, 3 out of 4 competitive (i.e. Traitor vs Heroes) were very close, and the outlier was due to a rules error.
Similar experience for us. The main exception being due to a bunch of good luck/timing on the heroes side meaning we were able to win fairly quickly, but it could have gone very badly wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sessions have had same traitor every haunt practically and he has only won once. He keeps misinterpreting the rules for his goal and using his unholy resources wrong but I think the Baby's Cry was decently close I was worried we'd lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like that the rules explicitly say that you can (and probably should) read aloud text boxes in the Haunts. Of course we keep forgetting that out of habit, and as a result I'm pretty sure a BUNCH of our haunts have been played very wrong lol. But it makes it much easier to have a rules discussion when we can all access the same info and interpret it together. And a lot of little things (ACTIONS in all caps especially) are so much cleaner now.

I also especially appreciate the events deck reflecting the house's history. Yeah I'm sad when I have to toss a bunch of events from the Purgatory deck that we won't be using, but it's super cool to know that the Pools of Blood y'all just drank from are MY ANCESTOR'S BLOOD. From the corpses out in the BLOOD FIELD. Like you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to keep the boxes secret initially, but when one side or the other takes an action, the other side asks for the relevant bit to be read out. If it's a test and fails, we don't also read out the success (we keep that secret still for the suspense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehrine wrote:
We tend to keep the boxes secret initially, but when one side or the other takes an action, the other side asks for the relevant bit to be read out. If it's a test and fails, we don't also read out the success (we keep that secret still for the suspense).
Yes, we keep forgetting to do it specifically because we have been ending up with a bunch of the co-op/free-for-all haunts, and/or we wait until there's success to read the box, and our heroes have not been succeeding very much >.<

Also our traitors (very conveniently) keep misinterpreting what they think are straightforward rules, and then I'll show up at the next session being like AND BY THE WAY YOU DID THIS WRONG so there's that lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United Kingdom
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cogsandgears wrote:

Also our traitors (very conveniently) keep misinterpreting what they think are straightforward rules, and then I'll show up at the next session being like AND BY THE WAY YOU DID THIS WRONG so there's that lol
Yeh, i'm playing this with casual gamer friends and i think it's tricky for them when all of a sudden one of them has to interpret a page of text all by themselves. Before the haunt i'm able to remind everyone of rules and gameplay but once the haunt happens i've no idea what the opposing team/player needs to know.

I think the Traitor's Tome assumes that whoever's reading it has also read the rulebook cover to cover, when more often than not in our gaming group it's one of my hapless friends who starts to glaze over at all the terms they don't understand and options they can't fathom.

Last time i just kept saying to whisper any questions that they had to me so that i could help them (and i'd try my best not to let the extra knowledge i was getting affect my choices on my turn). It's not ideal though - i'm really hoping the future haunts we get are manageable for casual gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls