Hide
7 Posts

Road to Legend» Forums » General

Subject: Flow of the Game in app play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zanza Zanzara
msg tools
First things: i got this game and all big and small expansions for solo app play only.

I really try to like this game and well i like it. but the flow of the game is frustrating and the outcome is always the same.

I played the app tutorial several times solo (base game only) with 2 heroes and once with 3 heroes. for me 2 heroes is the only way to go. playing with 3 heroes (and i guess same goes for 4 heroes) showed me that there are way too much disadvantages.
first you dont get a free attack that you get for playing with 2 heroes. also the turn order is completely random and unpretictable so playing with more than 2 heroes doesnt really help. and of course you have to spawn more enemies with 3 or 4 heroes.

But one thing is always the same, no matter if playing with 2 or 3 heroes: one heroes is always dead. the one thats the closest to the enemy spawn point.

normally you spawn at least 3 enemies. 2 normal, 1 elite. at least 3 attacks. and if you dont have the dwarf with 14 hit points, 3 attacks can easily kill your heroes with 8 or 10 hit points.
What you do then? You cannot waste the turn of your second hero for reviving because every turn is so important. if its not for move, the only action is attack. you cant even waste one action for search markers because attacking is the only way to go to even have a small change to get ride of the overwhelming amout of enemies you have to face.
So you try to attack with the hero that is alive and you revive the dead hero with its own turn. of course the hit points you get with 2 red rolls is a joke. even if you get 6 hit points, you are still dead again at the next enemy turn because your alive hero was only able to kill one enemy with a lot luck. with no luck still 3 enemies are waiting for you.
lets not count the free hp and stamina potion items that you get in the tutorial for free. they might help you in the tutorial once but this is not the case for a game outside of the tutorial.

i dunno, maybe the problem is just the app tutorial. i think its crap for a tutorial. sometimes it forces you to do actions that wont happen in a normal game like forcing you to attack specific enemies or end your turn after one action.
also the lack of skills seem to make the tutorial much harder than it should be. after the tutorial you get 3 skill points per hero which seem to make things easier because there are really some skills that can help a lot.

but i was not able to play a normal scenario yet because frustration after the tutorial was to much so i stopped playing every time after the tutorial.

i also wonder if adding any of the expansions (as i said i only played with base game yet) would make things easier/better or harder/worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Hansen
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tutorial is indeed more difficult than most standard quests. That's why you cannot die from loss of morale here. Keep on playing and you will learn to choose heroes and classes that synergize well. The ones with familiars are usually very good in RtL.

From my experience the game gets easier after you accumulated some items and XP to a point where you seldomly die, even in hard mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mb
The Rise of All Goblins is really hard. Don't let it discourage you. Here's some advice for the quest that I gave to a different player a couple of years ago:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25185707#25185707

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only second (third?) that. Don't let yourself be discouraged by the difficulty of the final tutorial quest. I regularly run this quest on conventions to teach players, and the win rate is pretty low.

Normal campaigns have a slower character progression, but difficulty curve is also a lot lower.

So if RoaG frustrates you, just try to play a normal campaign, and after finishing that, revisit Splig with the new tricks you learned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand your frustration, especially with going base game only. I feel like a broken record in these RtL threads, but I think it's important to preach the gospel:

Understand this, in the original game (OL vs Heroes), killing was not the main objective of the OL. It was used to slow the Heroes down. There were no lives, no perma death, nothing. You had to kill NPC's at points, but never instructed to kill the heroes. So in order to make it worth the OL's time, they made it so it wasn't really too hard to kill Heroes (especially non-warriors). Because when doing so, the OL was forgoing the ability to kill the NPCS, or burn the crops, or deliver a relic, or whatever god forsaken thing they had the OL doing on that mission.

Fast forward to RtL. The community wanted to brawl out with some monsters in co-op fashion, fine. So here ya go, now you have "morale." Oh, but wait...master Ettins can still 1 shot your healer. But master Ettins can also miss. So this is supposed to be "balanced." Balanced by extreme variables (see: not good balancing).

Okay so now we're in the present time, good ol Zanza is looking to have some monster killing fun with every piece of Descent there is, but they're getting their buns porked blush. So let's talk "strategy." Firstly, use Heroes that can facilitate combat related things. Leoric is a God of RtL, he can easily block up to 25 damage a mission with his passive. Jain can convert damage to fatigue, and Avric gives a nice little boost to your healing capabilities. That's just base game Heroes, but look for these kinda abilities in your arsenal. You can completely rip up people like Sahla or Asharian, they're going to be utter useless for this type of Descent.

For classes, Knight and Runemaster from base game are your friends. Most of my deaths come to Goblin Archers with their stupid Pierce 2 activation. You just gotta blow em up with Blast, it's your only hope. For your Knight, Advance + Defense Training is the way to go for me. I know Inspiration is kinda popular but I like to grab all the 1 XP skills for them by the end of the campaign. Knight is a 7-tool class and should be played as such. You're gonna love Defend when you are rolling Black/Grey/Brown with 2 shields. For healer, Disciple is good, Bard is kinda overpowered, don't touch Spirit Speaker it's not viable in RtL unless you go into it knowing you're gonna drop the first couple of missions.

When building your classes, don't get baited by these big haymaker 2-stamina cost attacks. My friend played a Beastmaster recently and he bought all the stupid beefed up/extra attack skills..he never used em. Why? Because fatigue-move and 2 attacks is the most damage output you could have. Grab the passive buffs, they pay dividends MUCH more than things like Execute or whatever other abilities Berserkers have.

When playing, your general strategy should be to fatigue-move and do 2 attacks against the highest threat monster that hasn't activated yet. So it's usually your Rune Master (blast), Knight, 3rd class, Healer. When shopping, don't forget that things sell at full price. So always empty your pockets before heading out.

Lastly, as Sadgit said, the game gets a lot easier once you have more items and XP. The monsters only have 2 strength points. Act 1, and Act 2. That transition is the only time the monsters gain strength. This means the game starts off hard; but by your last mission of Act 1, you'll have about 4 XP and 600 gold under your belt while you're still fighting the monsters you fought in the first mission. The jump to act II isn't that big and RtL allows you to buy Act II items before Act II anyways.

Also, there are lots of broken items in xpacs. Any amount of xpac you turn on favors the Heroes much more than monsters. Turn on Nerekhall and Labrynth you get access to Ironbound Glaive (disgustingly broken), Rune Plate, and Obsidian Armor.

So in conclusion, RtL is just a battle of you and the app trying to cheese each other with really bad balancing for a mode that was shoehorned into a tactical objective based 1vMany game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
msg tools
jubez187 wrote:

Also, there are lots of broken items in xpacs. Any amount of xpac you turn on favors the Heroes much more than monsters. Turn on Nerekhall and Labrynth you get access to Ironbound Glaive (disgustingly broken), Rune Plate, and Obsidian Armor.
By "broken" in this case, do you mean not thought out well, having contradictory rules, or maybe too over-powered? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Leite
msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnB58 wrote:
jubez187 wrote:

By "broken" in this case, do you mean not thought out well, having contradictory rules, or maybe too over-powered? Thanks.
Sorry, I meant just overpowered. I actually try not to do that cause the word "broken" can have so many meanings in gaming right now but i was just ranting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls