Subject: Medals Display Mats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created these mats to display medals earned during a campaign. Based on Willy Stower's 1915 artwork 'Sinking of the Linda Blanche out of Liverpool'.

Two mats are included. One for German campaigns and one for Austrian campaigns. Print out on photo paper at 8.5 x 11 inch or A4 sizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea!

I never realized which ship that was. Just looked it up, and there's an interesting story behind it, as the real Linda Blanche looked nothing like that. She was only 400 tons (probably less than 1/10th the size of the ship in the painting).

Perhaps Willy Stöwer decided to depict the ship as much larger than she was as a way to make the scene more impactful. Alternatively, maybe he had no idea what she looked like, or what her tonnage was. Still, it seems strange that he should use the name of the Linda Blanche when Otto Hersing had sunk the much larger (3100 ton) Ben Cruachan on the very same day.

Still, it's a beautiful painting.

By the way, both the Linda Blanche and the Ben Cruachan appear in the game's small freighter list, in January 1915, the month they were sunk in reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is interesting. Perhaps another reason the ship size in the painting was exaggerated was for war propaganda purposes. I guess we'll never know for sure.

And I think it's really cool that this ship is in the game's freighter list for the month and year it was actually sunk. Just another reason to love this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lindsey
United States
Gustine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect Stower was only partially interested in historical accuracy, with his primary purpose being glorification of the Imperial Navy and selling his work. If you look up the German postcards of the period that feature military vessels and actions, a sizeable majority of them feature Stower's paintings. He certainly had a knack for creating paintings with some drama to them; the poster-image used for the game's cover is a good example, and one of my favorites.

My sister is a commercial artist and I can tell you---the whole "starving artist" thing is greatly over-rated.

BTW, this is the S.S. Linda Blanche---hardly the noble steamer from the painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls