Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I really wanted this game (when I found out about it) but I somehow missed out on the original campaign on KS, but really hankered after the KS exclusive minis so passed on the retail version.

I have been on the fence with the new KS, as I kind of preferred the artwork and sculpts of shadows of the past (I’m
Old and remember the Eastman originals) but mainly as I couldn’t really justify the £250 full pledge to satisfy my completionist tendencies!

I’ve just managed to pickup a new Works copy for £90, which I was pretty pleased with, but after tracking back through the issues raised (from the dead looking at it) in some threads I’m wondering if I’ve made a mistake (again) and should sell it on and just pony up for the new one?

What I’m basically asking are the mini scales, board printing and rules that bad from fitst campaign and I should move on, or are they not that much of an issue to most?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the unboxing for the Hellboy board game. It’s the same mini manufacturer. They look amazing.

So I have high hopes for the minis. We really can’t tell on any of the other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I don't remember any board printing issues. The mini scale is laughable, but whether it bothers you is a personal matter. As for rules and such, the biggest issue is that some of the scenarios have misprints and a couple of others are confusing, but almost all of that has been satisfactorily answered in these forums. There are a couple of issues with the rule book, but it's nothing common sense can't guide you through. (Also, there has been talk of an official errata resulting from the current KS, though I have no idea the status of that.)

If your question is whether the game you have is playable, it certain is! If your question is whether the game you have will be enjoyable, most people find it to be! If your question is whether you should sell it and instead buy a game you can't really afford, well, that's a decision only you can make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers guys, I think that answers my questions, sounds like it’ll be fine for me, it’s not a scale miniatures game after all (dangers of mutagen I guess) !! I’d just read a few threads where it sounded like people were saying those things made it unplayable.

I can afford the new one, the justification but is harder than that as it’s to my wife! As it is I’ll stick with the ‘bargain’ I be picked up and look out for a full pledge for new one on the market at a later date (when Ive cleared some games backlogs) looking forward to playing now

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
...and all for fun!
badge
Have you come for a checkup?
mbmbmbmbmb
The original game was perfectly playable. It was well received by reviewers and many users, so I'd even go so far as to say it was (is) a pretty good game. We've certainly enjoyed it.

Most of the criticism against it has largely been about cosmetic things (mini scaling, mini quality, tile art, dice colors) and printing errors (scenario descriptions, some ambiguous rules or card interactions). The latter were mostly cleared up in the original FAQ put out and these forums have largely worked out anything else. So as long as the small cosmetic quirks don't put you off, there's nothing much to stop you from enjoying this fantastic game.

I think the big appeal of the new games is the coop mode. Lots of people aren't fans of the 4v1 style of game and would really prefer coop. If that includes you, you might want to consider the new stuff. If youre happy with the 4v1 mode, the original has that covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
rubiks75 wrote:
Cheers guys, I think that answers my questions, sounds like it’ll be fine for me, it’s not a scale miniatures game after all (dangers of mutagen I guess) !! I’d just read a few threads where it sounded like people were saying those things made it unplayable.

I can afford the new one, the justification but is harder than that as it’s to my wife! As it is I’ll stick with the ‘bargain’ I be picked up and look out for a full pledge for new one on the market at a later date (when Ive cleared some games backlogs) looking forward to playing now

Steve
If you can afford it, I would recommend backing as you will get a ton of bonus content and expansions that will end up costing you more aftermarket more than likely. If you are only interested in the base games then save your money as retailers will probably sell them at a discounted rate.

The works pledges are affordable now because they became irrelevant by this KS but this might not the norm for Post-KS content. KS Exclusive content usually sells at a premium.

Just my 2 cents in case you know, you need justification

Edit: But for clarity, the Works is a perfectly good game and a lot of fun. I agree all of the issues are minor issues and mostly cosmetic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mini scale and just some of the minis in general put me off from even punching the tokens.

Look how short the arms are on that really huge foot soldier guy. Come on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Czerwonka
United States
Orland Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
I don't remember any board printing issues.
If I recall, there was some arrows either not printed or printed in the wrong direction I think on a staircase or something... it was on one of the 1st or tutorial scenario boards.

this is the only one I can remember, but there was at least this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the pointers, think I’m going to stick with this version for now and give it a go, then if I like it I’ll upgrade to the new games. Even with the flaws it’s one third the price so a good chance to see what I make of it. If it wasn’t for new release I’d be dead pleased just getting this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Curfew wrote:
there was some arrows either not printed or printed in the wrong direction I think on a staircase or something
Ah yes. To be honest, I've never even noticed those, but I do recall hearing about it now. And now that I think about it the door token was misprinted as closed on both sides. None of these are game breakers by any stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kuyler lang
United States
College Place
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely loved the original. The cosmetic and rule goofs didn’t diminish that. It’s a great balance between easy to pick up and compelling player choices. The character and setting variety is rich and truly evokes the feel of the TMNT universe. I’m ambivalent about the new one partly because I feel strongly about the original and question the need for much of what’s been redone in the new KS. Don’t have any remorse. You’ve made a great purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received and played, absolutely no regrets! Some of the oversized minis are ludicrous though

The game is awesome, the rules are easy to pick up, it feels fast and fun completely in keeping with the theme and there are some really cool mechanics. I know about the minis, but the cards and other materials are great, especially the scenario comic style books. It is genius!

Guess as I picked it up at £90 including postage and knoeingbabout the issues with minis (that aren’t that mini) I’m probably less put off than somebody who formed out £150 plus postage without knowledge of those issues.

Anyway I’m loving it and glad got it! I’m now battling myself over the latest KS as I put in a $1 pledge and thinking may go for it now :-/

I love all the Eastman stuff in the works though

Thanks for all the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls