Subject: When do you dilute power? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Junaid Ansari
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally you can augment power via the rest action or visiting the monastery. Instead of augmenting can you choose to dilute? Or is there some other action or region where you have to dilute? Why would you ever dilute back into the potential pool?

The reason this came up was we were playing the base game and a secret quest said to have 5 cubes in the potential area at the end of the game. This would either mean you never get vindicated or there was a way to move cubes back into the potential bowl.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the described effects allow you to dilute. The upcoming expansion has a guild leader that allows diluting, but I haven't looked through the whole base game yet so I don't know if one such effect exists. In any case it would need to have an arrow pointing backwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's at least one companion that lets you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cott
Canada
North York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jansar1 wrote:
Normally you can augment power via the rest action or visiting the monastery. Instead of augmenting can you choose to dilute? Or is there some other action or region where you have to dilute? Why would you ever dilute back into the potential pool?

The reason this came up was we were playing the base game and a secret quest said to have 5 cubes in the potential area at the end of the game. This would either mean you never get vindicated or there was a way to move cubes back into the potential bowl.

Thanks in advance.
Here's what I see in a quick rulebook run-through:

There are many Loot cards (Myths & Wonders "Expansion"), Treachery cards (Treachery "Expansion"). I also see one yellow companion, Xina.

At any time, you can dilute from Conviction to Influence as part of your options to regain influence (doesn't say anything about going Influence to Potential).

There's also the below, though I don't think that is expected to come up:

Entrapment
→ In the very rare case you become trapped with opponents blocking all legal movements, you may add up to 2 to your movement. This act of desperation causes you to dilute 1 power
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gerac
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can’t see of any real reason to dilute back to potential (except for your secret quest scenario) Otherwise, it’s usually best to have more cubes available than not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrg6504 wrote:
Can’t see of any real reason to dilute back to potential (except for your secret quest scenario) Otherwise, it’s usually best to have more cubes available than not.
Well the reason is as payment for the action you get to perform for the companion, loot, whatever it is that requires diluting power as a payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gerac
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
MentatYP wrote:
jrg6504 wrote:
Well the reason is as payment for the action you get to perform for the companion, loot, whatever it is that requires diluting power as a payment.
Fair enough. In those cases diluting to potential I could see being an option to make payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Holm
Denmark
Solrød Strand
flag msg tools
mbmb
MHCott wrote:
jansar1 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Here's what I see in a quick rulebook run-through:

There are many Loot cards (Myths & Wonders "Expansion"), Treachery cards (Treachery "Expansion"). I also see one yellow companion, Xina.

At any time, you can dilute from Conviction to Influence as part of your options to regain influence (doesn't say anything about going Influence to Potential).

There's also the below, though I don't think that is expected to come up:

Entrapment
→ In the very rare case you become trapped with opponents blocking all legal movements, you may add up to 2 to your movement. This act of desperation causes you to dilute 1 power
There is also a relic called Ceremonial Altar Knife where when removing the influence cube it goes back to Potential and you score 3 Honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Hobin
msg tools
jansar1 wrote:
This would either mean you never get vindicated or there was a way to move cubes back into the potential bowl.
You can still vindicate yourself through honor points (reach 25 honor).

I was also wondering about diluting because of the same secret quest. Since we were playing the most basic base game, the only way to dilute we found in the rules was that movement entrapment. Otherwise the rule book only mentions what diluting means but does not tell you when you may dilute. Obviously it comes down to the companions and relics mentioned in this thread.

The player with the secret quest just never augmented more than three from potential, completed the quest, but still lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arembee wrote:
You can still vindicate yourself through honor points (reach 25 honor).
Vindication requires both conditions to be met.

It almost feels like the idea of the secret quest is that you can't just dilute Influence to Potential for free (otherwise, you'd probably just do that on your last turn) and it requires either pursuing a strategy that doesn't rely on vindicating yourself, finding a relics, companions, etc. to achieve it, or just ignoring that portion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls