Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Szymon Kuczera
Poland
Wrocław/Gliwice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I've just recently started an adventure with my PnP copy of H&M Yesterday I tried out the basic rules during Klissow scenario (the Swedes won, routing most of enemy horsemen) and liked it overall, but I still need 1-2 more sessions to stop going through the rulebook every turn On the other hand, I'm looking forward to implementing some optional rules on my next play!

I have read pretty much every rule-related thread here on BGG, but there are still a few things I need to make sure about.

1. Do swamps really block Line of Sight? Does this apply to any form of fire combat? I mean, does a muddy stream prevent an artillery unit from firing over it? I just need a confirmation, because it keeps bothering me a bit

2. Player A remains player A throughout the whole game unless the initiative is seized by player B, right? In other words, during Klissow scenario every turn is by default started by the Swedish player?

3. In general I get the Rally rules, that the Leader and the rallied unit may not move, fight etc. on the respective turn. It is clear and easy to track for player B (he/she knows for sure that his unit/Leader is not involved in any activity), but what about player A? I mean, what if I Rally my unit (not being adjacent to enemy units, of course) and then player B decides to charge my freshly-rallied guys and their Leader on his/her action phase? Does this cancel my Rally action or what?

4. Leaders may stack freely - as I understand this, there may be any number of Leaders stacked together with units regardless of the terrain restrictions, right? What about nationalities, one again referring to Klissow example - may I stack a Saxon Leader with a Polish unit (I remember about foreign Leaders, the question is just about stacking itself)?

5. In Battles Chart, column R2 for Line and Elite Infantry and R3 for both kinds of Artillery, there is an asterisk standing for "1 die in combat". I haven't found it anywhere in the rulebook itself, what does this mean? Should I roll only 1 die while firing at the respective distance, or do I roll 3 dice normally but a maximum of 1 hit may be inflicted?

6. When Dragoons or Hussars do a morale check in order to withdraw from fire combat (page 6 of the rulebook), do they use the special morale value of 4 as they do when withdrawing from close combat or charge (page 7)?

7. A unit has to advance after successful close combat. If it was accompanied by a Leader (and there was no other unit in the starting hex), does he have to advance as well? Or may he choose to stay, for whatever reason? Or maybe the question is irrelevant, since he may virtually adjust his location as he wishes in an activation just after the fight?

Thanks for your help in advance, and sorry if any of the above questions comes out as a stupid one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
symku123 wrote:
1. Do swamps really block Line of Sight? Does this apply to any form of fire combat? I mean, does a muddy stream prevent an artillery unit from firing over it? I just need a confirmation, because it keeps bothering me a bit
Swamps really and truly do block Line of Sight, just like it says in the rules. I don't know about you, but every swamp I've ever seen is more than just a muddy stream - there are definitely trees all around!

Quote:
2. Player A remains player A throughout the whole game unless the initiative is seized by player B, right?
Correct.

Quote:
3. In general I get the Rally rules, that the Leader and the rallied unit may not move, fight etc. on the respective turn.
Actually, iirc, the unit may not move, fight, etc. on its turn - it's specifically stating that the unit cannot take an action (requiring the expenditure of CAP) this turn. Being attacked by the other player - and even firing back - isn't the same as taking an action. Sean or Doug will correct me if I'm wrong here, but what Player B does on their turn doesn't prevent a Player A unit from rallying or alter it in any way.

Quote:
4. Leaders may stack freely - as I understand this, there may be any number of Leaders stacked together with units regardless of the terrain restrictions, right? What about nationalities, one again referring to Klissow example - may I stack a Saxon Leader with a Polish unit (I remember about foreign Leaders, the question is just about stacking itself)?
No restriction on friendly leader stacking.

Quote:
5. In Battles Chart, column R2 for Line and Elite Infantry and R3 for both kinds of Artillery, there is an asterisk standing for "1 die in combat". I haven't found it anywhere in the rulebook itself, what does this mean? Should I roll only 1 die while firing at the respective distance, or do I roll 3 dice normally but a maximum of 1 hit may be inflicted?
You roll just one die.

Quote:
6. When Dragoons or Hussars do a morale check in order to withdraw from fire combat (page 6 of the rulebook), do they use the special morale value of 4 as they do when withdrawing from close combat or charge (page 7)?
They use their normal morale value - the special value is just for the circumstances where that it is specified as being the case.

Quote:
7. A unit has to advance after successful close combat. If it was accompanied by a Leader (and there was no other unit in the starting hex), does he have to advance as well?
Rules specify the unit, not the Leader, so I'm pretty sure the Leader can hang back if they wish.

I'm pretty sure I have all these right - the base game without optional rules is the one that I play - but Sean the designer or Doug the developer will be sure to let me know if I flubbed anything. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Kuczera
Poland
Wrocław/Gliwice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom! I love how your feedback is always quick and precise, I really appreciate it These clarifications are exactly what I needed.

As for the swamp, I believe that I misimagined the kind of terrain represented by the tile - I was thinking in the first place of some quaggy riverside in the open field, but that depends on the battlefield details. I'm going to take the rule as is stated, though it can be easily changed by special scenario rules, when needed. I presume Sean Chick would recommend this kind of tinkering with the rules

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Miller
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:

symku123 wrote:
3. In general I get the Rally rules, that the Leader and the rallied unit may not move, fight etc. on the respective turn.
Actually, iirc, the unit may not move, fight, etc. on its turn - it's specifically stating that the unit cannot take an action (requiring the expenditure of CAP) this turn. Being attacked by the other player - and even firing back - isn't the same as taking an action. Sean or Doug will correct me if I'm wrong here, but what Player B does on their turn doesn't prevent a Player A unit from rallying or alter it in any way.

I'm pretty sure I have all these right - the base game without optional rules is the one that I play - but Sean the designer or Doug the developer will be sure to let me know if I flubbed anything. :-)
I agree with every one of your answers Tom, and specifically this one about Rallying. Sorry I didn't have a chance to get to this before you did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fagnand
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this 'clarification':

Pg. 9} Leader Rally should mention that to be eligible, the unit must not have been attacked in the enemy’s preceding turn.

'official'? If so it adds an additional layer to the Rally conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom got everything right. Thanks for jumping in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fagnand
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sean!