Subject: What do you do if you run out of cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that triggers game end at the end of the full round, but cards could be discarded after they run out - do they get shuffled back into a deck that players can take cards from?

We assumed not, and that cards discarded after they run out aren't used.

I am assuming that game end is triggered by running out of cards -and a player needing one-, not just that they run out. Although I think the rules say just that they run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woops, we've always played to 50 money and re-shuffled if the deck ran out.
Might have overlooked something in the rules, I guess?

Edit: See below -- we overlooked nothing and I just misunderstood. You only end the game when both the discard and the draw pile are empty, which is what the OP meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Harforth
United States
Boone
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am remembering correctly I believe the end of the game is triggered when a player cannot draw anymore cards, so even after the prirate action finishes the game would still finish because there were no more cards for the players who needed to draw to draw. But 50 money also ends the game, both are end-game conditions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My notes on this situation after a few plays of this game; note that a draw/discard empty end condition is more common with larger player counts as I recall it.

1. Note that the game end trigger is when there is no draw pile and no card (s) in the discard. At that moment, the current player turn (including all the remaining follow actions of the other players) is played to conclusion.

2. If, during the course of playing out that turn, cards are discarded they will be-reshuffled into a new draw pile when a player does something that entitles them to a 'draw' action. If there were no discard(s), then that draw doesn't occur.

3. But, the end game condition is still in effect; that player's turn shall be the last one of the game and it will proceed to the scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tabpub wrote:
1. Note that the game end trigger is when there is no draw pile and no card (s) in the discard. At that moment, the current player turn (including all the remaining follow actions of the other players) is played to conclusion.
Right, that's what I thought. In that case we played it correctly; we've never run out of cards in both the draw pile and the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, OK, I misread the end process - I thought it was play it out until everyone had the same number of turns, but the game just ends at the end of that turn. That makes it much less of an issue.

Great, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls