1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] | 

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 700W - HumanFan76 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
I play a bunch of Battlestar Galactica PBF! Currently modding 700A and 700W; playing in 704.
badge
Celebrating 700 Play-By-Forum Battlestar games with a 4-part series using every expansion.
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 700W - HumanFan76
5 Player Base Game to Kobol

Welcome to BSG 700W. This is the first part of a four-part "Mega Voyage" style series, running in parallel with BSG 700A, to celebrate 700 main-line Battlestar Galactica Play-By-Forum games.

700W/A: 5 Player Base Game to Kobol
700X/B: 5 Player Pegasus to New Caprica
700Y/C: 5 Player Pegasus + Exodus to Ionian Nebula
700Z/D: 5 Player Pegasus+Exodus+Daybreak to Earth

All this was made possible by ColtsFan76 and he has my undying thanks for that. I will be using the Open Office spreadsheet and GIMP files created by Orphius and completely revamped by jasperhawk and Mawkee. Awesome work, guys. I have also based this OP on IriDiuM84's, so thanks IriDiuM! In addition, I will be using the BSG unified rulebook by jbiatek.

Our crew for this voyage, and their starting titles, are:

Nietreche as Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
JKent83
as Gaius Baltar,
President of the Twelve Colonies

Dezzmont
as William Adama,
Admiral of the Colonial Fleet

YodaOldBoy
as Saul Tigh
Penguinton
as Tom Zarek

For info on PBF see - Tips and Tricks for BSG PBF

Standard Things to remember/know:

d10-1All players must have their own copies of the game and all expansions being used, if any. This is an FFG requirement, and since we're all REALLY grateful they let us do this, we're only too happy to comply with the one condition they set out for us.

d10-2Follow PBF conventions. Bold your actions! I will not process anything until bolded. Use italics for in-character talk, and use images for flavor and fun. Find lots of them here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/1834905#item1834905.

d10-3Use the image banners so we know who you are. If you're on a mobile device and don't want to look up your bannerID, please put your character name at the top of your post.

Courtesy of marlus, here's an amazing script that makes it super-easy to add those banners to your posts:
Quote:

1) Click on "Edit" on the top right of your screen to Edit your quick bar.

2) Chose an empty spot and fill label with "My Banner" and add the following text to the URL :

Quote:
javascript: (function() {var b = '[ImageID=xxxxxx medium]'; var t = document.getElementsByTagName('textarea')[0]; t.value = b+'\r\n'+t.value;})();
3) Replace "xxxxxx" with the ImageId you want to use as your banner.

4) When you post, click on Reply/Quick Reply and then click on your Quick Bar Link. Presto!

It even works on mobiles, so no excuses not to use a banner!
d10-4Don't communicate with other players outside the thread. Any private communication should be between me and particular players. If you have a question that you don’t want to ask publicly, ask me, that's what I'm here for!

d10-5Subscribe to the thread! I expect that you will be able to check in at least twice a day, preferably at regular intervals. If over 24 hours have elapsed and you haven't responded when it's your turn to act, I'll bump the thread. This is not a warning, just a gentle reminder that it's your turn to act, in case you missed the subscription or something. 12 hours afer the bump, I'll poke you via GM to make sure you're still there - at 48 hours, I'll start giving out warnings. Repeated warnings will see me seeking a replacement player. Everyone hates waiting for someone every turn, don't be That Guy!

Of course, sometimes that annoying little thing called Real Life interferes with your ability to play, and that's totally OK. All I ask if you are having a really hectic time is that you try to find 2 minutes to either post in the thread or GM me saying "Hey, sorry but I'm really busy right now, won't be able to check the game today/tomorrow/this week/whatever". That way we're not all left hanging wondering what's happened to you. If you need more than a couple of days away from the game, I might try to find a temporary player to replace you until you return. Same goes for slow play. If you're travelling or something and you'll only be able to check in sporadically for a few days, just let us know.

d10-6Use Conditional Orders (COs) and the game will run smoothly. The game is much more enjoyable when it’s moving along and not getting stalled for days. Don't worry - if I have questions about your COs I will ask you privately, I'm not interested in trying to play "gotcha" by executing a CO that clearly didn't account for something.

d10-7Please send all your GMs to me with the subject line "BSG 700A (Character Name) - [Mail Subject]". EG, "BSG 700A (Starbuck) - Turn 3.2 CO for OPG use". I am modding more than one game at the moment, and if I get a mail with the subject "Skill check", that's going to cause me a bit of extra work to find out that little bit of extra info I need. This one really helps a lot, I appreciate you guys taking that extra couple of moments to properly title your GMs.

d10-8I like to make my board images after the current player has received their cards, so everyone knows how many cards are out there. So if you have a variable draw, please send in your COs for those as soon as you can.

d10-9Respect secrecy rules. Some often overlooked secrecy violations include:

* Providing a public CO (bolding when it is not your turn to act)
* Saying "medium" if you've played one card
* Talking about scouted cards (top or buried) beyond "good" or "bad"
* Identifying which cards/colours you played into a skillcheck
* Volunteering the contents of your hand if it's not directly relevant to the current discussion

d10-1d10-0 Don't quote anything from more than two pages back in the thread, with the exception of the Board Image. Say what you think happened in your own words.

d10-1d10-1 We will be following the Official FAQ and Unofficial FAQ (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_FAQ), but we will be ignoring the ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose whether they chose the top destination, and applying this principle to all Top X card choices. When a player chooses from the top cards of a deck it is secret which cards were chosen.

d10-1d10-2 We will be using the BSG Unified Rulebook by jbiatek. This link has been configured with the options for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
I play a bunch of Battlestar Galactica PBF! Currently modding 700A and 700W; playing in 704.
badge
Celebrating 700 Play-By-Forum Battlestar games with a 4-part series using every expansion.
mbmbmbmbmb

I will assume that each player has the following standing COs and assumptions about their play. Please send me a CO when you'd like to act otherwise.

Automatic Raiders
* If order does not matter when activating Raiders (i.e. there is no Civilian tiebreaker for a sector or there are no threatened ships) automatically activate Raiders in sector order.

Auto-Passing
* Pass on Declare Emergency.
* Pass on Strategic Planning for attacks against Raiders (including via Maximum Firepower), on a Launch Scout if there's more than one Raptor remaining in the reserves, and all attacks by Cylon ships.
* Pass on Calculations. I will not be pausing every time there is an opportunity to use one, so you'll need to have your COs readily updated. Generally speaking, there's usually a token put around before any important rolls looking for Strategic Planning and including a prompt for COs for Calculations.
* Pass on Evasive Maneuvers for unmanned vipers that aren't the last one protecting a civilian ship, unless the viper would be destroyed.
* Pass on anything that would be detrimental to the humans (e.g. Evasive Maneuvers to re-roll a shot that missed)

Character Abilities
I have various Standing COs in place for various character abilities - these will be dispatched upon character selection when appropriate.

No Relevant Plays
* I may pretend you sent me a Pass CO if you cannot play any relevant cards or abilities into a check, in order to get keep the game moving. This will not divulge hand information since I will also pass those who sent me a pass CO at the same time. Please note that I will not always do this, to keep a level of uncertainty.

Tanking
* After declaring a Tank, pass on interrupts and playing cards unless someone else plays anything into a check at the interrupt stage, or before you in the check stage.

Tie-breaking COs
* If there are multiple conflicting CO interrupts, and the players have not worked out whose to play, I will play the lowest-valued interrupt. If it's still tied, I will play the interrupt for the player whose turn is next - the Current Player will go last in this case.

House Rules - No vote on these
1) Helena Cain's Miracle ability will be a true Blind Jump. Before the ability takes effect, the top Destination card will be buried. In game Z, if Karl "Helo" Agathon's Pilot alternate ("Karl") is a human player when Cain uses this ability, the next card will be buried in addition.

2) If you wish to suggest colours to draw for a scouted crisis/mission, you may suggest one (and only one) colour to draw, once per scouted card. (This is only immediately relevant for Game Z and Captain's Cabin, however is included just in case for other situations, notably if State of Emergency is involved, or someone gets bonus actions and there's a Scout-XO-CP combo.)

3) We will be ignoring the FAQ's ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose if they chose the top Destination card on a jump, and will extend this to all "Top X Cards" effects for all players - When a player chooses from the top cards of a deck, or rearranges the top cards of a deck, it is secret which cards were chosen and what order they were and are placed in.

4) For games Y-Z: We will not be using Personal Goals.

5) On Sympathisers. For games X-Y, If a Sympathiser is to be used, it will be the Pegasus Sympathetic Cylon. For game Z, the Mutineer will be used.

6) The Quorum hand size is limited to 10 cards.

7) For game W: A revealing Cylon player hands off their loyalty automatically if appropriate, as per the rules in the Pegasus expansion.

8) For game Y: the "The Trial / Boxing the Line" step of the Crossroads phase has been modified to simply execute characters rather than eliminating players. In addition, if a Cylon (hidden or revealed) is boxed, they are forced to pick a new character, and Morale is increased by 1. The full text of the step is detailed in the quote box.
Alternate Elimination Rules wrote:

THE TRIAL / BOXING THE LINE

1. Remove all Crossroads cards and the Trauma used on them from the game. Remove all Ally cards and tokens, the Trauma attached to them, and Trauma attached to locations from the game.
2. Each player reveals their Trauma hand. Human players discard all of their "Benevolent" tokens, Cylon players discard all of their "Antagonistic" tokens.
3. Each player discards two Trauma tokens.
4. If all players have 0 Trauma, nobody is executed.
5. If any player has Trauma remaining, the player with the most Trauma is executed - see the tiebreakers below if necessary.
6. Remove all remaining Trauma from the game.

* If any human players are tied for most Trauma, the President chooses one of those players to be executed.

* If any Cylon players are tied for most Trauma, all of those players are boxed.

* If there is a tie between humans and Cylons for most trauma, follow both rules: all tied Cylon players are boxed, then the President chooses (if necessary) one tied human to execute.

* If a Cylon player or hidden Cylon would be executed via Boxing, they follow the normal procedure for a Cylon execution, but must also choose a new character before being moved to the Resurrection Ship. They do not draw a Super Crisis card, and Morale increases by 1.
7) The Grand Voyage - This has three main components...

Lasting Damage: If Pegasus or Colonial One are destroyed, they'll be unavailable for the rest of the series. New Caprica does not count as destroying Colonial One.
Memoriam: If a human character is executed or a Cylon character is boxed during the course of any game, they are unavailable for the rest of the series - this includes their Daybreak alternates.
Elimination: If a character's player loses a game, that character is unavailable for the rest of the series - this does not include their Daybreak alternates. Turn order and loyalties still get shuffled each game as per normal.
Continuity: The Crisis discard pile is not shuffled into the Crisis deck between games, nor are Super Crises. Super Crises in hand, and Thirty-Three if it's in play, are shuffled back into the Crisis Deck at game end. In game W, Caprica is houseruled to always work like the version from the expansions. (Play one, bury one; skip the Cylon activations)

Game Options and House Rule votes
The following game options and house rules will be put to a vote:

Starting with Game X, I will put game option and house rule votes up at the beginning of the game.

Exodus - Cylon Fleet, Final Five: The usage of these two game options will be put to a vote in both Games Y and Z.

Optional House Rule 1a - True Random Damage: Battlestar Damage will be assigned randomly from a pool containing both Pegasus and Galactica damage tokens. Players will not select which ship actually takes the hit when a "damage Galactica" or "attack Galactica" effect resolves - note that this does not include Main Batteries' effect, which will always damage the Pegasus.

Optional House Rule 1b - Galactica-centric Damage: The Pegasus can only be damaged by Main Batteries and Cylon ships. "Damage Galactica" card effects will always damage Galactica. This rule suggested by qplung for game 682, which was unused but so interesting to me I've added it to this game as well.

Optional House Rule 2 - Ban Cain: Despite House Rule 1, above; I've found Cain to be insanely powerful as a human. In game X, I will give the option to eliminate her. This does mean she'll be gone forever.

Please send in ideas or requests for house rules if you wish to see them included.

--------------------------------

Invitations are by interest in the PBF Modding Thread, due to high demand I have not yet dispatched any invitations from the waiting list. Mawkee has offered to run a companion Grand Voyage starting parallel to this one.

Player List, in order of response...
YodaOldBoy
rdonoso
Penguinton
Dezzmont
Nietreche
JKent83
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
mb
I am in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite, I'm happy to join! I have 15 BYC games under my belt but this is my very first modded game, so apologies in advance for any breaches of etiquette while I get used to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Penguinton,
this will be my 7/8th game (depending on how you count it, since both 700s are starting at roughly the same time) as a mod, and 11th modded PBF game I've been involved in, compared to only 2 BYC games. I'll stress that mistakes are to be expected, and that includes from me. In as much as I try to run rules-accurate games, ultimately I'm not quite as infallible as BYC, and even then that's only as good as kingerc can make it

Key things to remember are bold your actions, use the appropriate post banners and check my posts for either your username, character name, "everyone" or "everyone else" in bold, as demonstrated in this message. Hand updates, unlike BYC, will be You'll get the hang of it

I'll wait for all 5 check-ins before rolling up turn order for Game W, but in the meantime...

Everyone, you may wish to CO or discuss your character choices, bearing in mind you don't know turn order yet. This is the only time during the game you may publicly CO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Here and ready. One of the my favourite parts of a modded game is pestering the mod with my thoughts. Even if they can't exactly respond, it's nice to have a place to secretly think out loud at times.

As for character choice, I think my only preference for now is someone with 3+ colours so not Roslin/Tigh/Adama. I'll worry about how things shape up before putting more thought into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we locked into the two Military, one of everything else structure? If so, my preferences are:

Political: Baltar (then Zarek)
Military: Helo then Adama
Pilot: Apollo

(Not bolding in case someone wants to hardclaim one of these)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

hypertheorist wrote:

Hand updates, unlike BYC, will be You'll get the hang of it
As I said, mistakes are to be expected, there's one on my very first post. Hand updates are by GM, one every turn, I usually don't update these if you play cards, trusting you to recall what you've played during the current turn. I do send one every turn to every player even if your hand hasn't changed, just makes things far simpler on my end.

As for the character structure, no you're not. The eagle-eyed viewer will notice I copied my OP from game 682 but chopped off the end two characters, hence the fact the OP still mentions the CAG title card, which won't come into play unless the CFB is voted for in game Y and/or Z.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
mb
In the base game alone I tend to favor Boomer, Baltar, or Roslin, though really my main thing is I don't enjoy Chief. I am not the biggest fan of the base game millitary leaders either, but they certainly can be fun, I really just don't like playing Chief.

Obviously however the base game cast sorta naturally gels with each other almost automatically anyway so I can be very flexible about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Soucie
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In, of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Still waiting on rdonoso checking in - this is more to ensure everyone's in the right thread and subscribed than being In, since you've all explicitly expressed interest.

RULES UPDATE: I have forgotten a couple of common house rules for the base game, as players in 700A have reminded me.

* The Quorum hand size is limited to 10 cards.
* Cylon players hand off their unrevealed Loyalty cards automatically when revealing (as per the Pegasus expansion rules).

In addition, I posited a potential fourth part to the Grand Voyage ruleset, involving Crises:
* Discarded Crises will not be re-shuffled into the Crisis Deck between each game.
* In Game A: Caprica is errata'd to work the same way it does in Pegasus.

What do people in this game think about that fourth bit? I'd rather use it in both games or none for consistency's sake. I also frothed a bit about making Detector Sabotage permanent, but the more I think about it I'm not a fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In favour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
mb
While detector sabotage is a very minor crisis if it only ever shows up once and is less likely to show up each game on top of that its influence overall is negligible.

Also, as its most likely to show up game one it being permanent would have an extremely disproportionate effect on the long term power of the president, Baltar, and many crisis cards. So I am also not a fan.

I do like the other houserules though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I will stress the first two (Quorum and Loyalty) are non-optional.

As for Detector Sabotage, I'm making the executive decision to not make it permanent - it hits Final Fives, six Crisis cards and Baltar disproportionately, but it was one of those things I had to voice, research and find out why it sucks.

Overall opinion for the Crisis deck legacy rule seems positive, but I'll need a 6/10 total from both A and W together to implement it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Soucie
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm fine with those rules (other than the perm detector failure which is already veto'd). I'm curious if it could create a CAC disbalance as things go on but it's a similar vein to disbalance caused by losing Pegasus or Colonial One.

The deck itself would be shuffled between games, just without discarded Crises added back right? I figured it would have to be given there's new crises added in each expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Someone else also remarked on permanent effects by mentioning the Super-Crisis "The Farm". Nooooope.

So, let's say these rules are used, and this game ends with 25 Crises in the Discard Pile. Those 25 Crises will be in the Crisis discard pile going into game X; the remaining 45 will have the 20 Pegasus expansion Crises shuffled into them and become the 65-card Crisis deck for game X. The 26 used Crises are then in the discard pile for the duration of game X - crucially, they aren't put 'back in the box'.

If Thirty-Three is in play at game end, it goes into the Crisis Deck for the next game - you've still jumped the fleet to end the game.

If the Cylon Fleet Board is around in Game Z, this does mean there's a 0% chance of seeing the six Daybreak CACs regardless (Blindsided, Event Horizon, Hornet's Nest, Lockdown, Reprisal, Trial By Fire). Exodus doesn't have any.

Edit: Six people combined from games A and W have said Yes to Legacy Crises, so they're going in too. I'm not doing this for Destinations, but I'll do it for Super Crises too. Note: Super Crises in your hand at the end of a game will return to the Super Crisis Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolding my choices. If a choice is available, Military > Political > Pilot.

Military: Helo then Adama
Political: Baltar (then Zarek)
Pilot: Apollo

And I'll be that guy; if we don't hear from our last person within 24 hours, can we consider an alternate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's been 24 hours, so seeking an alternate. I will admit I did not include the usual 24 hour time-in in the thread GMs, but that was because everyone had pre-booked.

rdonoso is removed; FCFS invitation put up in the modding thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent H
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can join if you don't mind the double dip with 682.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not at all, IriDiuM84 is playing in 700A as well as 682 so let's go for it.

Turn Order Game W
YodaOldBoy 1d8 = (2) = 2
Penguinton 1d8 = (1) = 1
Dezzmont 1d8 = (2) = 2
Nietreche 1d8 = (5) = 5
JKent83 1d8 = (2) = 2

Dezzmont rolloff (2) 1d8 = (4) = 4
YodaOldBoy rolloff (2) 1d8 = (3) = 3
JKent rolloff (2) 1d8 = (7) = 7

The turn order shall be...

d10-1 Nietreche
d10-2 JKent83
d10-3 Dezzmont
d10-4 YodaOldBoy
d10-5 Penguinton

Nietreche, you're up first for character selection, and have free choice.
Everyone else, feel free to discuss and CO your character choice - this is the only time you may do so publicly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1417122. hypertheorist
  • 1d8 =
  • (2) =
  • YodaOldBoy
  • Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:28 am
  • [+]
  • 1417123. hypertheorist
  • 1d8 =
  • (1) =
  • Penguinton
  • Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:28 am
  • [+]
  • 1417124. hypertheorist
  • 1d8 =
  • (2) =
  • Dezzmont
  • Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:29 am
  • [+]
  • 1417125. hypertheorist
  • 1d8 =
  • (5) =
  • Nietreche
  • [+]
  • 1417126. hypertheorist
  • 1d8 =
  • (2) =
  • JKent83
  • [+]
  • 1417127. hypertheorist
  • 1d8 =
  • (4) =
  • Dezzmont rolloff (2)
  • Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:30 am
  • [+]
  • 1417128. hypertheorist
  • 1d8 =
  • (3) =
  • YodaOldBoy rolloff (2)
  • [+]
  • 1417129. hypertheorist
  • 1d8 =
  • (7) =
  • JKent rolloff (2)
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Gah free choice, the most dreaded situation for the indecisive...

My first instinct is to take Helo, due to the nice early point in the order but then again I played Helo in my last game which wasn't that long ago. I then thought about going with Chief even though I don't like him, since maybe he deserves another chance but nah...

Then I suppose there was some other thoughts but I've already rambled enough so I shall announce that I'm picking Boomer and would like all the cards please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

JKent83, you're up next: Military, Political or Chief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
mb
Nietreche wrote:
I'm picking Boomer and would like all the cards please![/b]
I am sorry to inform you that you will only get 5 and can have 10 at most...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broad
Australia
flag msg tools
mb

dezzmont wrote:

I am sorry to inform you that you will only get 5 and can have 10 at most...
Darn it! Well, you can't blame me for trying can ya?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] |