Subject: Several important rules clarifications for Elves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lewis
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So, I have a nice core group of gamers that really enjoy caverna. The expansion arrived for me two days ago, and we got a 5 player group together the very next day to give it a whirl. I will give our initial impressions of the game at the end of this post, but first I would like some help with some tricky elves questions. The player who played them got second in scoring at the end, and he did the best he could with our understanding of the rules.

So, question number one comes about tile placement in the forests.
There are a couple of rules that reference how placement is handled. I will cite them.

1. Pastures can be build on empty forest spaces directly.
2. Crops can be placed (sown)on empty forest spaces directly.
3. Furnishing tiles can be placed on empty forest spaces directly.
4. There is NO RESTRICTION as to which Forest spaces you use in this
way. In particular, you do not have to start with the Forest space
next to your cave entrance.

5. NOTE: The woodland Habitat effect makes it so that you do not need to place any twin tiles on your home board.......You may place twin tiles regardless.....If you do place a single or twin tile in your forest, you must follow the normal rules and place the tile adjacent to existing fields or meadows, and the first such tile MUST (this word capitalized by me for emphasis) be placed next to your cave entrance.

There is also a rule reference for the mushrooms of other races that I dont have access to right now, as I'm using a picture of the elves rules that I took last night, but it states that if you have sown something on a space, that space cannot be covered with something else until you have reaped all the sown items from that space first. So, one cannot simply cover up a sown vegetable with a tile and pick up the vegetable or discard it.

Question number 1. If a player has sown a vegetable on the space adjacent to the cave entrance, where the very first tile would NORMALLY have to be placed, what happens when they want to place a tile for the first time?
A. Is it illegal for them to place a tile because the first tile
placed cannot be placed at the cave entrance?
B. Is the tile placed at the next open adjacent space as determined
by the player?
C. Is the player now allowed to simply place the tile/twin tile
anywhere on his forested side thats available since the default
space isnt an option?

Question number 2. If a dog is watching sheep can they be moved to another forest square at any time just as they would be able to move around different meadows?

Also, your dogs cannot watch sheep on forest spaces. Somehow we overlooked that rule.

Question 3. This question is specifically about the use of the BIRD HIDE room, and pertains to both the Elves themselves, and the other races that can build the room freely.
Bird Hide: When you place this tile, you immediately (and only once) get 2 food for each empty forest space adjacent to this tile (i.e. up to 8 food)During scoring, you get 3 VP for each empty forest space adjacent to this tile (i.e. up to 12 vp)

A. "You can build pastures on empty forest spaces directly without
building a meadow, however forest spaces are not
meadows
. This indicates that a meadow tile, or meadow twin
tile MUST be built in order build this room even if you are the
elves. Since a meadow must be built on which to place this
room, that ALSO means that there must be a continuous line of
appropriately placed tiles, think of it like a walkway, up to
the meadow tile on which this room can be built. In this
situation, it is not possible for a tile to have all four sides
as "empty forest tiles" at the time of placement.
So then, one could only receive up to 6 food for the 3 vacant
forest spaces, correct?
(sorry it took a long time to get
to the question portion)
B. For the other races, how must build tiles in the correct rules
of adjacency, they also could not have FOUR adjacent spaces as
empty spaces, so this is essentially the same question just
asked. For the other races in general instead of for the
elves.

I feel like I had one more question, but I cannot remember what it was at this time! So, on to impressions.

WE FKIN LOVED IT!! Weirdly enough, the new races gave so many new avenues to pursue, that as a group, we had far less trouble acquiring tiles to cover all empty spaces on the board during the course of the game. Typically in a 5-7 player game, we see some players struggling to get enough twin tiles because they become a very early pick each round for stone shortages, and for sowing options. This was still the case, but because some races can ignore negative VP for uncovered spaces, it created more opportunities for each player to take those spaces when someone else passed on them to take something better for their current board.

The new rooms replacing the old rooms created a slew of new opportunities for points, some of which seem crazy good if only we take the time to figure out how to best utilize them. Also, the fact that a lot of the new rooms can be built in alternate locations makes building via expedition super relevant. I played the trolls, they can make weapons with two wood instead of 1-8 ore. And the weapon starts as level 4, but you get 1 additional expedition reward per expedition. So if it says 3 you actually get four. Meaning the stage 4 card that lets you do two separate level one expeditions when arming your person allows the trolls to actually do FOUR with that space! It was amazing. Expeditions allowed me to feed my people more easily. Food in general, seemed to be more abundant, due to more ways to sow, and to one player having the rock eating people too I assume (they are super cool). But for the last 3/4 turns in the game, I was able to produce 17 food a turn to feed my people, and I cannot see how I would have managed that other than a VERY few situations in the base game. (3 food per troll and I had 5 trolls, then I had the goblin room + the goblin which required only 2 food) And that was another surprise. When reading the drawbacks for goblins, we collectively thought... they suck. But since the goblin room was available in our game, providing a free goblin just by building the room, I built it right away just to try it out, even expecting it to be a poor choice. In practice however, the goblin was super beneficial. I just stuck to spaces like the one that accumulates 2 wood a turn, and gives a bonus of exactly 2 food. Taking one wood (or whatever the space accumulated material might be) less was insignificant. Using my goblin last after all peoples turns was also insignificant, and largely I think this was due to the fact that often when one grows extra family members, you find yourself taking actions that wouldnt be your FIRST choice necessarily. So it didnt feel like I was taking any worse spaces than I normally would, even though I had to wait til the end because I usually grow a lot anyway. Its my thing. I did not arm the goblin, I do think that arming drawback seemed too detrimental because there are very few ways to arm a person each round and in a 5 player game, those are contested early and often.

Anyway I have to stop typing for a while but hopefully someone can answer my questions! also the full set of races that we had were,
trolls
pales ones
rock eaters (silithids?)
elves
halflings (promo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can't place tiles until you harvest the crops. If you place a room tile next to the entrance, place the next (non-room) tile adjacent to it.

2. Bird Hide can only provide 6 food and 9 VP at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls