Subject: Any word on solo rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JL K
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the update on the kickstarter page that mentioned a solo variant, but the game page on the Sierra Madre site still only lists the game as 2-4 players and there's no word on solo in the WIP rules. Any new information on the solo mode that I might be missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Transhumanity is diceless, with a lot of player interaction, and we decided against a solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan McKay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Pax Transhumanity is diceless, with a lot of player interaction, and we decided against a solo variant.
Seriously?

Update #7 of the KS stated:

"We also want to tell you that with 99% certainty we will have a Pax Transhumanity Solo mode and maybe even a co-op challenge passage in the rules. The same goes for a Pax Transhumanity board on the back side of the Pax Porfiriana board. This still needs final approval, but it is a very slim risk it will not be included."

If this 99% has suddenly become 0%, that's really disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it’s a blessing: one less material thing to crave as I can take it off my wishlist because I only play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerth
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
The blade will not exist if it is taken from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it is also a blessing, as I never play solo (okay, apart from choose-your-own-adventure gamebooks), so this means that when Pax Transhumanity arrives, no game components will end up in the garbage bin by default - my consolidated, shelf space-friendly storage solution for solo modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry
Greece
flag msg tools
Τὰ πάντα ῥεῖ
badge
mb
Darn, I should not even unpack it then. Must find someone to sell it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Myrbakken
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A blessing. Focus your attention on the multiplayer game, instead of making a mediocre-at-best solo mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
campaign boardgame
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monstermunch wrote:
phileklund wrote:
Seriously?

Update #7 of the KS stated:

"We also want to tell you that with 99% certainty we will have a Pax Transhumanity Solo mode and maybe even a co-op challenge passage in the rules. The same goes for a Pax Transhumanity board on the back side of the Pax Porfiriana board. This still needs final approval, but it is a very slim risk it will not be included."

If this 99% has suddenly become 0%, that's really disappointing.

So 99% isn't 100%.

If you want to think of stats that way (like quantum reality, once perceived them it manifests into wave or particle) then the metaphor isn't effective.

They said 99%, which means there was a 1% chance of it not manifesting as solo. It didn't. So the 1% happened, as it does once out of every 100 tries.

Anyway, for those that bought it for the solo game, I agree that's a bit of a bummer, but it's one of the very persistent problems with kickstarter as a method of distribution, especially for established and steady successful groups.

I decided not to back for this type of reason.

Campaignboardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better to have no solo rules than rubbish ones as many games with a solo mode feature - pax games as a rule have no fully hidden information so its easy to play multi-handed and in fact I think that is a great way to enjoy and explore the gaming systems involved.

All the previous Pax games have had player developed solo variants further down the line and it wouldnt surprise me if that happens with this too further down the line, but in each case it was different designers with different design strengths who put them together. . . even then the one for Porfiriana was far less interesting than just playing 2-4 handed.

I appreciate its frustrating though if you want to solo it and that is why you bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Apparently they reconsidered having a solo mode:

Quote:
@Leo Borg : has the solo mode definitely been dropped from Pax Transhumanity, or is that still being decided? Apologies if I missed an earlier announcement
Quote:
@Russel P. Smith: We are working on a solo version, but it hasn't been playtested enough yet and therefore we can't promise more at this time.
From Kickstarter Comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schmidt
msg tools
mb
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by saying this, but there's a solo mode recently added to the Living Rules. I haven't tried it, admittedly, but it does exist.

I have tried the full game solo-multiplayer style, and it worked just fine. So this solo player will probably be content with it when the box arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
This doesn't rule out designing a 'bot for a playing solo against other players. I've been impressed with the 'bots for Churchill and Empire of the Sun. They work with a flow chart and decision tree, and I find them a worthy opponent. When I get this game, I'll see if I can create something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case anyone misses it at first glance like I did, or reads the prior posts in this thread like I did, there are indeed solo rules in the final game in Section K.

Thanks to Adam for pointing them out to me.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls