Cataclysm: A Second World War» Forums » Rules

Subject: naval retreat question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hammond

Wisconsin
msg tools
I just want to make sure this us correct:

All the democracies are at war with Germany and Italy, except France which surrendered. Germany occupies all French countries. US successfully attacks Germany Ruhr from Denmark and wins the battle. The German land and air units retreat to Berlin. There is a German fleet in Ruhr and a British fleet in North Sea.

I believe the German fleet is destroyed as it cannot move into the North Sea because of the presence of the British fleet. It cannot slide over into German controlled Benelux because of rule 7.2.2 which prohibits naval units from moving directly from coast to coast.

Am I correct in that the German fleet is returned to the force pool?

Thanks

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Ruhr is adjacent to the Baltic Sea. It can't retreat there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hammond

Wisconsin
msg tools
Good point! Baltic is free of ships or air, so I would think so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The general point, that a fleet with no retreat path would be destroyed, remains true. 10.10.2 is clear in this regard (i.e. movement restrictions apply).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and note that the Ruhr is specifically called out in the rules (2.2.1) as being able to move in/out/through the area as long as it is friendly into either adjacent sea zone (this is modeling the Kiel Canal).

So yes, the naval units in the Ruhr would be able to retreat through the baltic to a friendly area adjacent to the baltic (assuming there is one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls