Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress» Forums » General

Subject: [Feedback Requested] Enemy Card Holder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about ways to reclaim table space, offer better organization, and hopefully reduce brain burn. One idea is to place enemy cards vertically, so I designed this holder for 3D printing:



Two D10 for health, a D6 for initiative, and then a bin for any additional tokens or bits needed. For elite abilities, I was thinking just to use some plastic paper clips on the edge of the card. However, I know a lot of people won't like that because that would slightly deform the cards. So maybe some sort of vertical slider where pointers could be placed to show the active abilities.

Updated:
* use a D10 footprint for the ini tracker
* bumped up the back for more stability

Because the enemy cards are so tall, I'm afraid these will tip over. It shouldn't be a problem once dice are loaded--I'll have to fiddle with actual prints to get this part right.





Dimensions are 130mm x 30mm x 15mm

Updated
New taller version that has a place to hold Elite Ability numbered tokens.



Models are available here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3411727
Where you will find both versions.
5 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initiative can go up to 10.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
Initiative can go up to 10.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. I haven't opened my Shogun boxes yet, and it's been at least a year since I've played the season 1 stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane White
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Awesome; I would print the heck out of these!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use something similar to hold cards.

https://uberstax.com/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd Degani wrote:
I use something similar to hold cards.

https://uberstax.com/
Yes, I have some of those, or rather, I printed some. Not sure how well they will hold the large format enemy cards, plus I want slots for dice counters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really neat idea. Could you add a "shelf" at the bottom that would have space for the Elite ability tokens that come with the game? here is a crude example of what I am trying to say. This should add some weight in the front as well so it doesn't tip.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
Really neat idea. Could you add a "shelf" at the bottom that would have space for the Elite ability tokens that come with the game? here is a crude example of what I am trying to say. This should add some weight in the front as well so it doesn't tip.

Sure! It's been too long since I've played...are these things that need to be tracked like you've shown, or can they be tossed into the token bin I put in the middle?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
what if you have more than 2 of an enemy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't even register the token bin! They could just be thrown in the token bin I suppose. They just look like this:



I use them to track what elite abilities the enemy has, and throw them on the card as a reminder. I am not sure if thats the idea behind the token bin or if you had other intentions for that slot though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. For the non-elite ability tokens (the ones not numbered 1-6), I was hoping to throw in the middle bin.

For the elite ability tokens (1-6), I was kicking around two ideas: One, just use plastic paper clips (the triangular kind) on the enemy cards that point to the active abilities. Two: Add a piece to the holder that goes up the bottom left side of the cards that can hold indicators to point to abilities, maybe with metal in it for magnets.



But your idea is much simpler. I like it! Just put circular indents so the tokens can rest there and be easily visible. Now I need the diameter of those tokens, I bet they are around 20mm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reservation I have with putting clips on the card is the wear and tear the cards would take that they wouldn't take otherwise, but at the same time, could be nominal. I don't own calipers, so I don't have exact measurements, but its somewhere between 20-21 mm when I measure with a ruler.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this? 5 slots down below to slot the Elite Ability tokens. I don't think there is a need for a 6th.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I really like it. Time to print one off. I think 5 is good because if they have all 6 elite abilities for some reason then you don’t really need to indicate that, just refer to the card. The other thing that could be useful is if there was a card slot(s) for the specific enemy cards, such as the Void Sorceres or the Serpentmen. I suppose you could tuck them in where the main enemy card goes, but then you will probably cover some of the text. One could just put them in front of the display as well, but would take that much extra card space on the table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:
How about this? 5 slots down below to slot the Elite Ability tokens. I don't think there is a need for a 6th.

Thats nice, How deep are the area's for the tokens in the front? I would just be worried they fall out easy. I think this looks cool otherwise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
REALLY like it.. but I like the first version more.

went to the printing page, is that the 1st or second version? how tall are they? thanks!

this is likely because I dislike the system of the elite as they implemented it; planning to do a system for this season that have a color coded arrow pointed at them (based on when is relevant: beginning of turn, mid turn, end...) and then laminated. Each arrow has a square box that we will check when is the elite active.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alueb82681 wrote:

Thats nice, How deep are the area's for the tokens in the front? I would just be worried they fall out easy. I think this looks cool otherwise.
They are 2mm or 2.5mm deep; I think that’s good enough—test prints will reveal the truth.

I haven’t been able to print though, can’t get a first layer down. My Prusa printer is such a piece of crap, I don’t know what to do with it. cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
REALLY like it.. but I like the first version more.

went to the printing page, is that the 1st or second version? how tall are they? thanks!

this is likely because I dislike the system of the elite as they implemented it; planning to do a system for this season that have a color coded arrow pointed at them (based on when is relevant: beginning of turn, mid turn, end...) and then laminated. Each arrow has a square box that we will check when is the elite active.
Thanks! When I get a moment, I will update the link to my Thingiverse page instead of TinkerCAD. I have both versions on Thingiverse.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:
REALLY like it.. but I like the first version more.

went to the printing page, is that the 1st or second version? how tall are they? thanks!

this is likely because I dislike the system of the elite as they implemented it; planning to do a system for this season that have a color coded arrow pointed at them (based on when is relevant: beginning of turn, mid turn, end...) and then laminated. Each arrow has a square box that we will check when is the elite active.
Thanks! When I get a moment, I will update the link to my Thingiverse page instead of TinkerCAD. I have both versions on Thingiverse.
Updated the link to my Thingiverse design instead, both versions are there. I'm worried the shorter version will be unstable and tip over easy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about putting the tokens on a vertical bar along the side of the card. This would also give a place for an easy kickstand to prevent tip overs and a support to hold the card up instead of relying upon the card stock. (We laminate ours, so that wouldn't be a problem, but the current FoFo cards that have yet to be laminated are already starting to bend slightly making me wonder how well they would stand on their own.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll tinker with it. It sounds similar to the other idea I had.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedmutant wrote:
Updated the link to my Thingiverse design instead, both versions are there. I'm worried the shorter version will be unstable and tip over easy.
thanks!
you can solve that by just placing 2-3 magnetic stickers in the bottom and having a metallic flat board.

I have magnets, and metallic surface in different wide that I use for different things, they come really handy. and take no footprint, because you can place stuff on top given they are flat

e.g. here, i`m using it to keep track of HP on enemies.



i just keep metalic surface, magnets on my general accesories, together with my coins set and a few other stuff
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls