Subject: Can anyone post a quick rundown on the last few years? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itsjustme
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game when it first came out, I have the version 1 rules and a few of the metal sets of 5 minis. I played a bit but then nobody was playing and I lost interest.

Now I have someone interested, we played some version 1 games and it went good. Since I haven't really paid attention to what was happening with Mercs since then, I am way behind.

Can anyone post a quick rundown on the last few years?

It looks like all the sets are now plastic and have 10? minis in them, also there are v2 rules and some board games/kickstarters.

What should I be looking at to continue, but get up to speed? Just the v2 rules and go from there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Not sure if you are aware, but Megacon Games doesn't really exist anymore, at least not much more than a legal entity as they are selling of their IP's to Ulisses games. Megacon sold Myth to Ulisses. I'm not sure if it has been 100% confirmed that the MERC's IP was also part of that deal, but I assume that to be the case.

A version 2.0 of MERCs was released a while ago with an updated rulebook. I have the 2.0 rules and feel like it was a pretty good improvement. They made playing the game without using the cards to measure a little more straight-forward, although you can still use the cards. There were a few other core changes to the game system, but most of the game was kept in-tact.

You are correct that the miniatures were updated to plastic versions, but the sculpts themselves were all the same as the metal ones. However, buying a faction pack of the plastic sculpts got you the full set of 10 (11 for one of the factions I think) units, which collects the entire faction.

I haven't played the game much, but the factions were on sale a few years ago and I bought every faction. I only have KemVar fully painted up.

If you are looking to get back into it, you might be able to find the 2.0 rules and some faction packs for a good price. But I would consider the game itself to be "dead" until proven otherwise. You can still play the game of course, and it's still fun. But neither Megacon or Ulisses has made any announcements concerning bringing MERC's back and supporting the game again. Right now, everything has been revolving around the Myth IP, and that has been progressing very, very slowly. We were told two years ago that Myth was going to get sold to a new publisher. And while that's happened, the new publisher has yet announce anything at all related to the game, or even mention it on their website. Considering all that, I wouldn't expect anything new to happen with MERC's for quite a while, if it ever happens at all.

If you really want to get into this game and play it, by all means. MERC's actually feels somewhat "complete" since there are about a dozen factions available, the balance seems good, and the 2.0 rules work well. Not much is needed outside of that. But if you are looking for a miniatures skirmish game that is active, has a community around it, and is supported with regular releases, you'll have to look elsewhere. I can give some recommendations if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
warfinger wrote:
Not sure if you are aware, but Megacon Games doesn't really exist anymore, at least not much more than a legal entity as they are selling of their IP's to Ulisses games. Megacon sold Myth to Ulisses. I'm not sure if it has been 100% confirmed that the MERC's IP was also part of that deal, but I assume that to be the case.

A version 2.0 of MERCs was released a while ago with an updated rulebook. I have the 2.0 rules and feel like it was a pretty good improvement. They made playing the game without using the cards to measure a little more straight-forward, although you can still use the cards. There were a few other core changes to the game system, but most of the game was kept in-tact.

You are correct that the miniatures were updated to plastic versions, but the sculpts themselves were all the same as the metal ones. However, buying a faction pack of the plastic sculpts got you the full set of 10 (11 for one of the factions I think) units, which collects the entire faction.

I haven't played the game much, but the factions were on sale a few years ago and I bought every faction. I only have KemVar fully painted up.

If you are looking to get back into it, you might be able to find the 2.0 rules and some faction packs for a good price. But I would consider the game itself to be "dead" until proven otherwise. You can still play the game of course, and it's still fun. But neither Megacon or Ulisses has made any announcements concerning bringing MERC's back and supporting the game again. Right now, everything has been revolving around the Myth IP, and that has been progressing very, very slowly. We were told two years ago that Myth was going to get sold to a new publisher. And while that's happened, the new publisher has yet announce anything at all related to the game, or even mention it on their website. Considering all that, I wouldn't expect anything new to happen with MERC's for quite a while, if it ever happens at all.

If you really want to get into this game and play it, by all means. MERC's actually feels somewhat "complete" since there are about a dozen factions available, the balance seems good, and the 2.0 rules work well. Not much is needed outside of that. But if you are looking for a miniatures skirmish game that is active, has a community around it, and is supported with regular releases, you'll have to look elsewhere. I can give some recommendations if you like.
Wow... was a backer of Mercs: Recon and got the 2.0 book as well. Still love the idea of that game and had hoped to play the miniatures as well (solo only, just for fun)... but never did and now other systems have crowded out at least the miniatures thing. I've toyed with actually selling all my MERCS: Recon minis (I replaced them with standees) but never got around to it....

Don't really need the rulebook either and it seems like it's dead (for now).

Thanks for the update. Had not heard any of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s a Megacon MERCs Community on Facebook. Brian Shotton recently posted that they were deciding what to do with the MERCs IP, support it or sell it.

So there’s a greater than 0% chance of something happening, but I would not expect to see anything new anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
VeganGuy wrote:
There’s a Megacon MERCs Community on Facebook. Brian Shotton recently posted that they were deciding what to do with the MERCs IP, support it or sell it.

So there’s a greater than 0% chance of something happening, but I would not expect to see anything new anytime soon.
Interesting. I'm not on FB, so wasn't sure if MERC's was also sold to Ulisses. Sounds like it was only Myth according to that post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itsjustme
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting info guys, thanks! From what I can see by how much stuff is out there, even if the game is "dead" so far as new content from the creator, there is still plenty of stuff to collect/play, so that is good news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to me Mercs2.0 always seemed like a great game at a great price.
Loved how each character was an individual with unique skills.

Hope to see both Myth and Mercs make a comeback with another publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls