Subject: Received the game, and feeling a little underwhelmed... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas DP
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For starters, I'll admit that part of this is my fault for not checking the rulebook closer during the KS, and I haven't *played* the game yet, so maybe I'm making a rash observation...
But, dang, this game is looking a lot simpler than I expected. I knew that it was no longer the successor to WHQ:ACG, but I guess I wasn't expecting it to get dumbed down as much as it is. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise, though: simple game means easier to teach, means it should hit the table more often.

I'm really hoping that there's some stuff in the Adventure Packs to make it more interesting and slightly more complex (and I'm pretty bummed we didn't hit any stretch goals for more Adventure Packs). I know they like to use the term "self-expanding" but I guess I wasn't expecting to be putting stickers in the rulebook like a legacy game. (Also has me wondering about the future, or lack thereof, of this game, since there doesn't appear to be space in the rulebook to add more rules from possible future Adventure Packs).

My other complaint is the lack of flavor text on the character cards, especially when there is a big, glaring, empty space where it could/should have gone. Most, if not all, of my friends are unfamiliar with Awful Fantasy and, while the art is great, a two-sentence character bio would have made it even more immersive and fun/funny. Instead, I am now left explaining to my friends, "Phoebe Puffhiss, yeah, she's a steampunk something-or-other." I realize this complaint is a bit nit-picky, but it seems to me a wasted opportunity to squeeze a few more jokes into this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
“I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I was initially going to back this, but I'm glad I ended up backing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McCoy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
and His Amazing Zoo Crew!
badge
I'm Spader-Man.
mbmbmbmbmb
lucasdp wrote:
I knew that it was no longer the successor to WHQ:ACG, but I guess I wasn't expecting it to get dumbed down as much as it is.
Could you elaborate? Where was it revealed/discussed that this was no longer the successor to WHQ? Do you know if they're still compatible/combinable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll admit that I didn’t follow the campaign at all. I backed it all in and forgot about it. It showed up yesterday. It’s pretty far from its initial game description, that being said I’m having a blast with it.

It’s a fun, quick, co-op thay delivers a short game time and a challenge. I hope it does well so there’s more adventure packs one day.

I’ve played five times now and have only managed to win once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schachtner
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I like to play games solo or over hangouts.
badge
Nothing to see here, madness.
mbmbmbmbmb
hoojeebo wrote:
lucasdp wrote:
I knew that it was no longer the successor to WHQ:ACG, but I guess I wasn't expecting it to get dumbed down as much as it is.
Could you elaborate? Where was it revealed/discussed that this was no longer the successor to WHQ? Do you know if they're still compatible/combinable?
I backed this game due to my LOVE of WHQ:ACG and that it was going to be compatible/extension/successor. THIS THING, is not any of that. I was also very disappointed with what was actually delivered. Since I already own WHQ:ACG along with it's two expansions and Heroes of Terrinoth, this game is going to find its way to someone else at a board game swap meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Skaggs
United States
Pleasant Hill
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with you. I'm also underwhelmed. I haven't broken I to the adventure packs yet, but the initial game is very vanilla to the point of being extremely boring. I opened the first adventure pack to look at the contents and I am not very hopeful. I backed this because I love the art and the designer names attached to the project, but the boring game play really feels like an afterthought and completely detached from the artwork and theme. I'm going to give the adventure packs a fair chance and I am hoping I will be surprised. Unfortunately if they do flesh out the game it will be more like completing the basic game and less like expansions as the base game is so skimpy that it seemed unfinished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the base game tension was non existent in four games. I've now played three games with the first pack and there's a little more tension but not much. All three games were wins. I'm opening the second pack today and I'll see how the bosses change the card play. Theme at this point could be anything as the game focuses on set collection and graphics have little to do with the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls