Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Nemesis» Forums » General

Subject: Not in the rules, but should the Queen or Breeder be allowed to use the vents? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it isn't in the rules, but should either the Queen or Breeders be allowed to use the vent? They are big, very big. Plus killing the Queen is sometimes an objective. She draws two cards and it is possible that right at the time you think you'll kill her she retreats to a vent and heals.

Just a thought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
I know it isn't in the rules, but should either the Queen or Breeders be allowed to use the vent? They are big, very big. Plus killing the Queen is sometimes an objective. She draws two cards and it is possible that right at the time you think you'll kill her she retreats to a vent and heals.

Just a thought?
I'm not sure if going into the vents is supposed to represent the intruder literally going into the ventilation system, or if it just implies that you no longer know where they are.

If the former, I agree that it would be thematic to have the queen stay in place instead of moving into the vents. Absent the objective of killing the queen, my usual strategy is to stay out of her way and hope she disappears, so this change would tend to make the game harder, which isn't something I'm looking for yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Just a thought?
What vents?
There are Technical Corridors, not vents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veliks Bigkowski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a post like this before. I agree that at least the queen should not be able to retreat, because it makes it so much harder to kill her if you have the corresponding objective. It is hard enough to make her spawn + killing her, it is annoying that she can just vanish and heal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider it part of the game that she can escape a fight, as she would in real life if she were taking several rounds of injuries. The game is meant to be hard and luck's ugly head does appear in the real world. If you select Kill the Queen, that's your burden...
This is the way the designer made the game, so if anyone wants to modify how they play, they certainly can, but it's not the way to play as intended.whistle

Officially, yes, the Queen (and Breeders) can escape a fight and will dodge into the hidden corridors and run away.
(Also, thinking of the Tech Corridors as overhead (smaller) vents is somewhat inaccurate. They are enclosed maintenance shafts where pipes and mechanical stuff are laid out. They may actually be nearly the size of a door and might extend all the way down to the deck...they are simply maintenance corridors no one wants to enter, especially with intruders infecting the ship.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
I consider it part of the game that she can escape a fight, as she would in real life if she were taking several rounds of injuries. The game is meant to be hard and luck's ugly head does appear in the real world. If you select Kill the Queen, that's your burden...
This is the way the designer made the game, so if anyone wants to modify how they play, they certainly can, but it's not the way to play as intended.whistle

Officially, yes, the Queen (and Breeders) can escape a fight and will dodge into the hidden corridors and run away.
(Also, thinking of the Tech Corridors as overhead (smaller) vents is somewhat inaccurate. They are enclosed maintenance shafts where pipes and mechanical stuff are laid out. They may actually be nearly the size of a door and might extend all the way down to the deck...they are simply maintenance corridors no one wants to enter, especially with intruders infecting the ship.)
Yes, the technical corridors are more like the place where the Alien is 'born' in Alien 3. Or perhaps the jefferies tubes in Star Trek, although those are a little small for the example.

A good real-world example would be the maintenance lift in a shop. It's not used normally by everyone. But is accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John NotBatman

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, if we're going there, then I think the real question is who designed this space ship with thirty-foot high ceilings in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NotBatman wrote:
I mean, if we're going there, then I think the real question is who designed this space ship with thirty-foot high ceilings in the first place.
How else are you going to get about the ship in your awesome forklift exoskeleton whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tawin K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
negatrev wrote:

How else are you going to get about the ship in your awesome forklift exoskeleton whistle
Oh yea! Why isn't there an Exo Loader in the expansion? Missed opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
badge
_lo-ol_
mbmbmbmbmb
tkfire wrote:
negatrev wrote:

Oh yea! Why isn't there an Exo Loader in the expansion? Missed opportunity.
There's still time for more expansions ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
badge
_lo-ol_
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
Antares Rangers wrote:

Yes, the technical corridors are more like the place where the Alien is 'born' in Alien 3. Or perhaps the jefferies tubes in Star Trek, although those are a little small for the example.

A good real-world example would be the maintenance lift in a shop. It's not used normally by everyone. But is accessible.
That's a good example, also in a shopping mall there is customers area and lots of Techniocal corridors in the background.

Thematically: I would say Nemesys is a huge ship, with so many rooms, Armory, Laboratory, etc... and the technical corridors would be passages with cables, tubes, etc.... Not simple 2x2ft ventilation ducts.
The mechanic being the only one able to go though them is maybe because he knows how to enter them (he has a tool/key or whatsoever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Moore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
We actually know how big the technical corridors are as there's a graphic depiction on the mechanics technical corridors card of a door leading into one. The same graphic is also depicted in the rules section on technical corridors, it's easily big enough for a human standing upright. Of course it could still be argued it's too small for a Queen of Breeder, but who's to say how big the corridors are behind that door?

Note to future deep space ship builders reading this thread: Please don't build ships with oversized corridors capable of facilitating the passage of gigantic zenomorphs in said ships.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls